Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

damaged leaf drying green

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringanator

Hi guys we had a bad wind storm and mother nature primed some of my plants for me I notice on the badly damaged leaves some of the edges and backs are colour curing green but the front side and center are curing as expected my question is would fermenting remove the green or would you cut off and dispose of the green edges or let them hang longer they are pretty much crispy dry but the mid stem

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If the leaf lamina are already fully dried, kilning may convert a greenish under-surface to brown, if the upper surface is brown.

If not yet fully dried, do what you can to raise the curing humidity. Ignore the crispy green edges--nothing you can do. If the upper surface is browning, then a greenish under-surface may also color properly with time or subsequent kilning.

Not just wind damage, but extensive leaf pinholes from flea beetles can also result in very rapid drying.

Bob

ringanator

I do belive some of it got sun burnt as well from being damage also grasshopper damage. this year in alberta we had a severe drought followed by 3 hail storms then 3 days of 80 km wind all in all really bad grow year. Thank for the advice

DGBAMA

I had a batch of flue cured last year with green left in it, which was nearly 100% removed by bringing the leaf to high case/damp and putting in direct sun for a couple days.

DGBAMA

I did it in the open, misting the leaf periodically to keep some moisture. I think the UV deteriorated the chlorophyll (green). Worked out well.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've also done that. My impression is that the previously green-dried portions of the leaf, though they do change color, are fairly "dead," and lack the physical characteristics of the rest of the leaf. If it's just going to be shredded, I guess it doesn't matter. If it's cigar wrapper, it's not so useful.

Bob

ringanator

Yeah no Bob it shreded for ciggarets I just don't want to ruin good leaf with nasty tasting green leaf honestly as long as the grass or as my wife calls it pot smell comes out of it I don't even care if it stays green it the nasty smell/taste I don't want

DGBAMA

Yeah no Bob it shreded for ciggarets I just don't want to ruin good leaf with nasty tasting green leaf honestly as long as the grass or as my wife calls it pot smell comes out of it I don't even care if it stays green it the nasty smell/taste I don't want

Sun bleach then kilning will suit your purpose just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.