Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help, bugs are dining on my seedlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

dchiang

Are these tobacco beetles? They are not easy to catch. They jump pretty good and hard to kill. Here is a picture of a few dead ones.
IMG_6015scaled 1000.jpg

Here is a picture of the damage.
IMG_6017_reduced 2000.jpg

How do I get rid of them?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Those appear to be flea beetles. [http://www.ipmimages.org/browse/subthumb.cfm?sub=2578&area=62]

A discussion from NCSU: http://tobacco.ces.ncsu.edu/tobacco-pest-management-insects-tobacco-flea-beetle/

For such small plants, you can dust or spray lightly with a preparation of permethrin. By the time harvest begins, the leaf should be safe, though I would be inclined to discard these mud lugs. The pre-harvest interval for permethrin used on vegetables is 1 day. Although I'm not comfortable with that, it does indicate that it is a temporary toxin.

EPA Fact Sheet: http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/reregistration/REDs/factsheets/permethrin_fs.htm

A systemic, like Admire or Othene, used in the production of seedlings, seems to prevent flea beetles, as well as aphids.

I have used permethrin spray on grapes (for Japanese Beetles) and on eggplant (for flea beetles). I notice that the affected insects begin to reappear on the treated plants after 10 to 15 days.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth on my transplants. It eliminates slug, cut worm and flea beatle damage. After a heavy rain it needs to be reapplied.

dchiang

Thanks, Bob. It's time to do some research.

I guess I got the answer for why my eggplant did so poorly this year.

Matty

I like using diatomacious earth because it is not poisonous or toxic like other products are. I as well have great success with it on all the plants in the garden and flower beds around my dad's. Seems to control everything we've had a problem with.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You should be aware that diatomaceous earth is a significant inhalation hazard--silica dust--especially while you are applying it. I sprinkle it carefully onto the dirt surrounding small seedlings at risk from earwigs. I won't apply it to the tobacco leaf itself. There is no free lunch.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I never have had a problem with the dust. I treat it like I do lime or sand or for that matter when I mix concrete. I just make sure I do not create a cloud. I sprinkle it onto my transplants. By the time I harvest my leaf there is no residue left.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a typical fact sheet on DE: http://www.deq.state.or.us/er/docs/LowerBridge/DiatomaceousEarthFactSheet.pdf.

If you're a non-smoker, I wouldn't worry about exposure to the silica.

Seriously, it's a matter of comparing potential risks. I usually hand squash the low populations of flea beetles that appear on my seedlings. (Just rub it against the leaf, once you catch it.) Although I don't spray my leaf with pyrethroids (permethrin), I do spray the seed head with permethrin just prior to tying on a bag. Some of it drifts onto leaf. Harvest is weeks away. I'm not too concerned--maybe a tiny bit concerned.

Bob

dchiang

I have applied diatomaceous earth. To reduce inhalation hazard I mixed it with water and and just sprinkled the solution around. I also have sprayed with Gamma-Cyhalothrin. It is a form of pyrethroids and is readily available in the local warehouse hardware store. It lasts longer than pyrethrin so hopefully the bugs won't be back in 10 days.

Ben Brand

Dito on what CT Tobaccoman do, Orthene is all I use for any insects. Good stuff!!
Orthene used to be registered in SA for tobacco, but not allowed to use on tobacco anymore, kills all the beneficiary insects as well.

Smokin Harley

Are these tobacco beetles? They are not easy to catch. They jump pretty good and hard to kill. Here is a picture of a few dead ones.
View attachment 16320

Here is a picture of the damage.
View attachment 16321

How do I get rid of them?

Do they have a hard shell? Get some Diatomaecious Earth and dust your plants with it and mix a little into the soil around them too. DE is made up of microscopic coral and such . Its purpose it a mechanical insecticide rather than a poison. It acts like thousands of tiny razor blades and pierces the hard exoskeleton of beetles, basically then they dehydrate and die. Harmless to us , and washes off easily without residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.