Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

what's your favorite cigarette blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringanator

So already thinking of next year's grow and would like to come up with a nice blend of Virginia,burley and oriental tobacco for ciggarets something with a lot of flavor and a good kick. So tell me what are your favorite blend/types of tabacco.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Re: what's your favorite blend

My daily cigarette blend: 40% flue cure, 20% Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Oriental.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Re: what's your favorite blend

Add a lot of Nitrogen to your soil. It will greatly increase the nicotine content of your leaf.

romanko

I'm currently smoking a blend I made up of the only two finished strains I have available: Havana 608 from my 2013 grow, and Del Gold from 2014, blended 1 part Havana to 2 parts Del Gold. I like it!

It might be unorthodox to mix cigar and cigarette leaf together, but then I smoke via water pipe, which is a whole different animal.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If you want more kick you can also adjust the pH upwards like the tobacco companies do, I've also seen where it's incorporated into the tubes or filters so maybe just find out if any of the tube companies sell tubes with that added.

Knucks' blend is something I'd copy if I did smoke though, looks like it would be really nice.

As to the threshed, that's ultimately going to be the easiest way to have a really good smoke, I've tried it and it's extremely nice tasting. Like Bill said, half n half, and you're done.

Bex

Maybe my math isn't correct, as I weigh this out on an old scale - I do 8 to 9 parts burley, 5 parts Virginia and 2 parts Red Virginia. Funnily enough, I actually cut it down from what it originally was. I kind of use the Red Virginia as a 'spice', just to give a bit of a throat hit - when I originally found the Red Virginia, I actually used more of it (and posted my original blend somewhere on this forum). It tore my throat to pieces, actually. If I had to use just ONE tobacco, without any blending at all, I suppose it would be Burley - I find this to be almost the same in taste as a More cigarette. I can't abide regular Virginia on its own, as I think it is something akin to sucking air through a straw. I had read somewhere that American cigarettes were something like 70% burley, 20% Virginia and 10% oriental - this may not be exactly what I found, but somewhat similar. Of course, my initial plan with leaf tobacco was finding a smoke similar to my beloved Marlboro box that I was smoking for decades. Now I like my blend far better....

DonH

Maybe my math isn't correct, as I weigh this out on an old scale - I do 8 to 9 parts burley, 5 parts Virginia and 2 parts Red Virginia. Funnily enough, I actually cut it down from what it originally was. I kind of use the Red Virginia as a 'spice', just to give a bit of a throat hit - when I originally found the Red Virginia, I actually used more of it (and posted my original blend somewhere on this forum). It tore my throat to pieces, actually. If I had to use just ONE tobacco, without any blending at all, I suppose it would be Burley - I find this to be almost the same in taste as a More cigarette. I can't abide regular Virginia on its own, as I think it is something akin to sucking air through a straw. I had read somewhere that American cigarettes were something like 70% burley, 20% Virginia and 10% oriental - this may not be exactly what I found, but somewhat similar. Of course, my initial plan with leaf tobacco was finding a smoke similar to my beloved Marlboro box that I was smoking for decades. Now I like my blend far better....
I always thought the classic American cigarette was more like 70% Virginia and 20% Burley (or 60/30). 70% Burley would be pretty intense.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Maybe my math isn't correct, as I weigh this out on an old scale

I've found that blending by volume is infinitely faster than weighing, plus each weighed blend can be thrown off by a difference in moisture content from one batch to another. Higher case tobacco will weigh heavier than the same amount of low case tobacco. I can't taste a difference from one batch to the next by blending by volume (regardless of case) and that's close enough to repeatable for me.
I also save time and wear on my powermatic by combining the destemming, shredding and blending operations. By destemming as I shred, the shredder gets a break in between leaves and I'm sending one leaf at a time through the shredder. I destem a leaf, feed it into the shredder and start destemming the next leaf while the one before is shredding. Time is saved due to the overlap of the two operations. The motor never bogs down and I've never had a jam in three years of owning the machine. Not one. It has never even required cleaning. I run the machine backwards a few seconds before shredding and a fair amount of dried gunk comes out then. I also run it backwards after shredding and a lot of moist stuff comes out that won't dry inside later. Here's my method of destemming, shredding and blending at the same time I posted some time back:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3609-Shredding-Blending-by-Volume

Bex

Hmmmm.....I read your link. But wouldn't moisture also affect volume as well? And when you're measuring your 10cm, for example, do you compress it to remove the air, or just have it sitting in the container and then put the next, say 4cm, on top of it? I have found that my 2 oz of burley that I use each week almost consistently comes out to 13 leaves. As my burley leaf comes pretty much intact, while the red virginia and virginia leaf can be in pieces (threshed? flailed? I don't know), the pieces are difficult for me to shred in the Teck 1 - I end up wrapping pieces into the full burley leaf, rolling it up and shredding. This way, it is pretty much mixed when the shred is done. I'm going to play with my blend a bit - while I like it, the consensus appears to be that it's rather strong. I have a choice of ordering light or dark burley - I've been getting the light burley, as I just assume that it is not as strong as the dark one. I may try to up the Virginia a bit in my blend to see if I can still get the same throat hit, but with a milder blend....

bonehead

my favorite blend is 25% african red, 25% big gem,30% wlt flue cured 10%burley(can't remember name 4 years old now), 10% black sea samsun or wlts oriental. i think real flue cured mixes real well with my air cured flue cured.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I just sample each of my Becca varieties individually to see how strong or weak they are..and grab handfulls of each one...and toss it all in a bag and mix it real good...then I'll make a cigg and sample it...if its too strong/weak..I'll add more of what's needed..till I end up with the smoke I'm wanting...my blends usually consists of 6 or more varieties depending on how many varieties I have on hand.

Bex

I did a new blend last night - a pretty simple one of 2 ounces burley, 2 ounces virginia, and 1/4 ounce of red virginia. It's a bit milder than what I've been doing in the past, but still satisfying. I'll probably stick with this for a while, or might even cut down the burley a bit. I suppose I should play with my blend more....

Brown Thumb

I just sample each of my Becca varieties individually to see how strong or weak they are..and grab handfulls of each one...and toss it all in a bag and mix it real good...then I'll make a cigg and sample it...if its too strong/weak..I'll add more of what's needed..till I end up with the smoke I'm wanting...my blends usually consists of 6 or more varieties depending on how many varieties I have on hand.
That's the way I do it. I usually just fly with what I mixed tho. Unless it is a really strong lung hacker mix. I like strong tho.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i could just see me '' measuring'' my bacca for a blend '' NOT ''..... lol... im sort of a redneck, i just go by what ive made. like my previous post.. i make the perfect blend. in less than 2 minutes,

bex.. theres many strains of bacca out there. to get the perfect blend will take many grows to find the '' perfect '' plants to suit what your looking for.....

ive grown for 5 years proablly experminted.. with 30+ strains and i still aint found my perfect '' blend '' thats why i experment with different strains each grow... till i find a good one that will be in every grow..

for example ive never grown '' samsun'' buit next year i will.. because ive read good reviews about it,

and dont shy away from a CIGAR variety.... blending it in your mix may '' turn it up a notch...

knucklehead sent me a sample of a cigar variety and some seeds.. i liked it and will include it in next years grow.

the perfect blend may take 10 grows to perfect.

BlazedUp

Made my first blend yesterday. 50% flue cured va, 21% naturally grown tn90, and 29% Izmir. Tastes good!

Status
Not open for further replies.