Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Start of our season

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuditch

Well being the opposite of you Up and Overs (Thought I would get in before it was said I live Down Under) It is the first week of August so thought it was time to start of my seeds.
Many thanks to those that donated me some seeds was much appreciated.
I am trying straight into the multi seed pots with a small amount of seed to each pot and will thin out and thin out till down to strongest plant.
At the moment they are inside on the window ledge so can get light and keep them warm and out of the wind.
When they are growing will move them out into the hot house.
So I have 10 little pots of nearly everything.
Havana 503B
Thompson
Goose Creek Red
Little Dutch
Rot Front
Adonis
NB11
Reams 158
Prilep
Swar
PA Broadleaf
Japla
MD 609 Maryland
Izmir
Samsun
15 pots of Sumatra and Dominica

A whole heap in two big trays of the two we grew last season and my wife and I both liked as a cigarette tobacco Cow Boy Light and Golden Lite. These were the only varieties we had last year.

So If I get one plant per pot to get into the ground and to maturity I will be very happy lad.

Will have with a heap of the varieties we grew last year that we know we like 350 to 400 plants going in. Is going to look good :)

We easily grew and processed 6kg of tobacco for cigarettes this year and extremely pleased with out efforts.

The kiln I made up from scrap and a few bits from the internet has worked a charm and the shredder we got from Poland is working fantastic as is our tube loader the Powermatic 2.

The only other thing to add is we changed from cheap tubes for our cigarettes that we could buy here to import from the US the flash Vera Cruz in the white, brown and black and I don't know if its the colours as in mind over matter but they seem to smoke and taste much more pleasant.

Well some time in the coming months will either be posting how great it is going
icon7.png
or what a disaster I have had
icon9.png

Hope you have all had a great growing season and harvests
icon7.png

Ben Brand

Nice selection, being in the Southern hemisphere also, I started mine about a week ago, saw this morning they`re starting to sprout. Good luck,

chuditch

Nice selection, being in the Southern hemisphere also, I started mine about a week ago, saw this morning they`re starting to sprout. Good luck,
Hello Ben
Yes we are about the same latitude good luck with yours as well.

chuditch

That's a boatload of varieties good thing you have a nice shredder....:)

Couldnt resist having a go with the lot. Some I, or she who must be obeyed, may say not to grow again and others can store the leaf for a year or some so plant less next year. Only going to shred the cigarette tobacco been practising my cigar rolling and watching the videos on here so looking forward to having a go at rolling my own. Been a success with the cigarettes now to perfect the cigars but need that leaf first.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Sounds like your gonna come off the grid..,

How much is a pack of smokes there ?

chuditch

attachment.php

Week two and my little pots are full of seedlings.

Seems a shame to have to thin them out. I think I will thin them out and try to keep some of the removed ones going as well encase I need to replace plant deaths as they are reaching the point of getting ready to plant out.

Top left the lawn look is the two types we grew last year for cigarettes the cowboy light and golden so I had lots of seeds from my collecting to sprinkled heavily. the couple of bare spots is where the plastic wrap touched the seed raising mix but I still have heaps to pot out.

Not a single Havana 503B has shown any sign of life not a single green sprout.

Also not a single Sumatra has germinated either. Front right. The Dominica have germinated in their half of the tray

I still have a few of each seed saved that I kept back should I put them in now or are these two varieties slow starting?

But so far not a bad selection have started now to keep them alive to planting out time.

Any input gratefully received.
icon7.png

Attachments

• tobacco seedlings.jpg
    tobacco seedlings.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 76

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If it's been two weeks and no germination, it's time to start worrying. I'd start some more just in case. You may have some bad seed.

chuditch

If it's been two weeks and no germination, it's time to start worrying. I'd start some more just in case. You may have some bad seed.
Oh bother :(. Ok thank you. Will use the last of those seeds for a second try and have to accept that wont have those varieties

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Wow a dollar a smoke that's painful. Growing tobacco is like growing gold out there huh?

chuditch

Amazing I was too quick by one day.
Yesterday nothing not a sign in the Florida Sumatra and today can see tiny little plants starting.
Still nothing in the Havana 503B so have reseeded that tray with the last of those seeds that I had.
So now to baby them along and start to thin them out then out to the hot house with them till it is time to plant them out.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Sorry for the Swedish text one the first picture.. But the thing is: I believe 70% of my test grow seed will make "it".
//Hasse W

Status
Not open for further replies.