Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Criollo (Cuba) [TI 1376 Pi 405646] Cigar Filler Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Criollo (Cuba) [TI 1376 Pi 405646] is a superb, medium-strength cigar filler.

Knucklehead sent me some samples of Cuban-origin cigar fillers that he has grown and kilned. Since it arrived today, this is the only one I've sampled, so far.

There are named "Criollo" varieties from all over the place. "Criollo" simply means, "native." The seed for this particular Criollo came from Cuba (in 1975, via GRIN). The leaf is dark and beautiful. GRIN observations lists this as Oriental. Sorry, GRIN. That's incorrect.

Garden20150806_1987_Criollo_CUBA_leaf_Kemp_400.jpg

I rolled a "test" cigar, using three entire Criollo (Cuba) filler leaves (each of which was nearly wrapper grade in quality). It was not intended to be a show piece, and didn't even have a binder--just a mild, Florida Sumatra wrapper, so I could focus on the filler. I didn't bother to trim the wrapper.

Garden20150806_1983_cigar_Criollo_CUBA_filler_500.jpg

Despite having no binder, the stick is nearly rock-solid. The cigar rested for about 10 minutes. Long enough to determine that the battery in my camera needed recharging. The cigar lit easily and evenly. The aroma is dry (not sweet), and somewhat earthy, but does not have that hint of barnyard that is common to most Criollo tobaccos. There are dark, woody undertones, but no leather. No chocolate or cream here. This leaf works well by itself. I expected it to be rather strong, and was surprised that it landed near the middle of the strength spectrum.

The ash shown above refused to just "tap" off. With more aggression, I was able to snap off the ash in a perfectly clean break. The filler ash is a light gray-white, and seems to possess quite a bit of durability (like a whole wheat macaroni). I probably could have smoked 2/3 of the cigar, with the ash intact.

Garden20150806_1985_cigar_Criollo_CUBA_filler_head_500.jpg

I really love this leaf. (Damn you, Knucklehead! Now I will have to grow it in 2016.) In addition to showcasing the qualities of this leaf, Knucklehead's sample is also testament to the excellent functionality of his new kiln. Yay! I think the Criollo (Cuba) would also go well with Ecuador Sumatra or Shade, as well as with Habano 2000. I'll have to try blending the Criollo (Cuba) with my Vuelta Abajo.

This cigar was a finger burner.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hey, thanks for the review. I'm glad you are liking the leaf. GRIN carries eight accessions from Cuba and I grew seven last year and Vuelta Abajo this year. They all seem to be unique from one another. I wish I had the language to describe them as well as you, but I don't. I just like them. I am growing several all American varieties this year, Glessnor, Little Dutch, Penn Red, etc. It is going to be a nice experience to have the choice of rolling all American, all Cuban, or blending leaf originating from all over the world. Growing our own gives us choices that aren't available other wise. I must say it is extremely nice to have that choice. The kiln is a must have for almost instant gratification. I was planning on letting that leaf naturally age for years. I'm glad I built the kiln so I don't have to wait!

Smokin Harley

Now I wish I had had more vacation time or I would have made a trip over...next time im leaving room for a trip to my Bama botl's for leaf inspection.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Now I wish I had had more vacation time or I would have made a trip over...next time im leaving room for a trip to my Bama botl's for leaf inspection.

No leaf inspection is complete until the required smoke test has been passed and approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.