Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of Your Sticks, III

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Breakfast Buffet in Broadleaf

A streak of blue to the northwest promises a beautiful day, despite the overcast sunrise. It's 69º on my front porch, where the small American flag droops nearly vertical.

Garden20150823_2044_cigar_CTBL_wrapper_500.jpg

My home-grown CT Broadleaf (CTBL) tends to be fairly thick. The lower lugs are always trashy and a nearly tan color, but from the mid-stalk on up, it gives me maduro wrappers of various shades.

One drawback to my CTBL is that it requires about 24 hours to come into high case, then about 48 hours to dry (as a wrapper). I would have no part of that this morning. The leaf came out of my poly-nylon bag slightly north of low case. It felt and sounded like thick Naugahyde vinyl. I decided to use it that way. My binder (a high case strip of Timor, misted and in a bag overnight) did all the work.

The breakfast filler consisted of flavorless Dominican Olor volado, rich Machu Picchu Havana seco, a large leaf of Brasil Dunkel, and two small, random leaves of PA Red. After binding them in the Timor, I cut the foot. This allows the wrapper to be placed without further foot cutting--sometimes called "cubano style."

Since the CTBL in its present case would not be able to stretch, I carefully trimmed it to fit well, then applied it smoothly over the bound bunch.

Garden20150823_2043_cigar_CTBL_cubanoFoot_300.jpg

CTBL maduro wrappers will usually display a sheen. I believe that the sheen depends on the wrapper being well stretched, which this was not. I also believe that a well-stretched wrapper will provide a cleaner burn margin to the ash, assuming that the filler is well laid. This stick lit easily, and burned well. The surprise was how mild it turned out. It's pure American, Dominican, Peruvian, Brazilian, Indonesian goodness.

Garden20150823_2046_cigar_CTBL_ash_300.jpg

As every farmer knows, there's nothing quite as satisfying as a home-grown breakfast.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Breaking News! Ugly Duckling Aspires to become Swan

Garden20150823_2047_cigar_SwarrHibshman_wrapper_400.jpg

When you are getting ready to tie a hand of tobacco, the first job is to identify a sacrificial leaf--the one that will be used to tie the top of the hand. This unfortunate leaf is then folded lengthwise into halves or thirds or quarters, to create the binding band. It is then tightly wrapped, from its tip to its butt, around the gathered butt ends of the hand's leaves, and its stem butt folded at 90º, to tuck it between layers of the hand.

The wrapper on the cigar pictured above was an abused leaf from a hand of Swarr-Hibshman. Though not marked as such, it was a hand of small upper leaf. When I untied the hand, the sturdy, intact binding leaf was curled into a helix. As I carefully unfolded and unwound this leaf, it screamed, "I want to be a wrapper...please...please...please!" Not being one to discourage motivation, I granted its request.

Although it is wrapped over a binder of tattered FL Sumatra, the Swarr-Hibshman was stretchy and strong enough to do without a binder.

[The remainder of leaf in that hand, now untied, is smaller, darker and oilier.]

As a wrapper, Swarr-Hibshman doesn't really taste like much--certainly not as tasty as it appears. If you have an oversupply of ligero of anything, then Swarr-Hibshman filler generously allows you to add in the potent stuff. Swarr-Hibshman leaves are usually gigantic and mellow.

Bob

waikikigun

You know, Bob, ever since that one particular photo a few weeks ago, I feel like I never know the actual shape of your sticks on account of the distortion from the wide lens you use up close somewhere near a 45 deg. angle. When I look at the cigar above, I think, Oooh, great dramatic shape! Then I think, Or is it just a slightly tapered cylinder....it's a mystery.

Never knew it was a leaf used to tie the hands. Woulda guessed twine.

charlie G.

I rolled up a few this weekend and just put the wrappers on. They'll need to sit a few days before taking a flame to them.
Dbl Piloto Seco binder
2-Piloto Seco
1 1/2-Crilio 98 Seco
1/2 Crillio 98 Ligero
1/3- Meta Fina
Crillio 98 wrapper

P1010777_zpshthibn3k.jpg

waikikigun

Holy cow those are gorgeous, charlie G.

Are they very strong, with all that Criollo 98? Or does the Piloto balance them down a lot?

I got that wrapper with one of my first kits and unfortunately it wouldn't burn at all so I had to chuck it and use other wrappers. I guess yours burns fine?

I rolled up a few this weekend and just put the wrappers on. They'll need to sit a few days before taking a flame to them.
Dbl Piloto Seco binder
2-Piloto Seco
1 1/2-Crilio 98 Seco
1/2 Crillio 98 Ligero
1/3- Meta Fina
Crillio 98 wrapper

View attachment 16542

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You know, Bob, ever since that one particular photo a few weeks ago, I feel like I never know the actual shape of your sticks on account of the distortion from the wide lens you use up close somewhere near a 45 deg. angle. When I look at the cigar above, I think, Oooh, great dramatic shape! Then I think, Or is it just a slightly tapered cylinder....it's a mystery.
I would say that about 80% of the cigars I roll are tapers, that start out at about 45 to 48 ring at the head, and end close to 56 to 60 ring at the foot. The great variable is length. I occasionally add a slight perfecto slope to the foot, but it usually comes out poorly, so I seldom bother.

Bob

charlie G.

Waikiki I've never had problems with burn using the Criollo 98 wrapper. I use alot of the seco also and never had burn issues.
I remember reading that you had a problem. What were you using for Binder with that wrapper ? After reading a few posts from rollers I now use mostly nice Seco filler leaves as binders and don't have any burn issues. I go thru all my new tobacco to pick out nice leaves that can be used as wrappers and binders.

waikikigun

charlie G. -- I reckon the binder was some kind of Sumatra. But to be clear, this stuff would not burn, period. I put the dry leaf itself over the stove flame and it would not burn. I tried it over weeks at various different "cases." All it would ever do is turn black and melt and smell like burning tire.

I will try it again someday. Right know I have tons of tobaccos. You think it makes a good wrapper, huh? Sure looks good.

BrewinHooligan

Rolled this one last week. Curiosity got the best of me. I really enjoyed the first half, then the flavor and strength really ramped up. The first half had an excellent creaminess and seemed very balanced. The strength, earth, and leather got a little more than I care for most of the time. Definitely one for a full belly.
1/2 leaf corojo seco, 1 1/2 leaf corojo viso, 1 leaf Dominican ligero, Dominican binder, and PA broadleaf wrapper. I have 8 more of these I just rolled yesterday. I will hide them away for a while, I have a feeling some age will really help these. Wish the pic wasn't sideways...
image.jpg

waikikigun

Looks like you ramped it up a bit (.5 more viso, .5 more ligero) from the Nick Mellilo blend, huh? I already thought the base blend looked pretty intense.

Speaking of which I rolled 8 of the original recipe and will try the first one after a month in the drybox.

Rolled this one last week. Curiosity got the best of me. I really enjoyed the first half, then the flavor and strength really ramped up. The first half had an excellent creaminess and seemed very balanced. The strength, earth, and leather got a little more than I care for most of the time. Definitely one for a full belly.
1/2 leaf corojo seco, 1 1/2 leaf corojo viso, 1 leaf Dominican ligero, Dominican binder, and PA broadleaf wrapper. I have 8 more of these I just rolled yesterday. I will hide them away for a while, I have a feeling some age will really help these. Wish the pic wasn't sideways...
View attachment 16545

Status
Not open for further replies.