Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

downloadable cigar tasting sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
IJust thought guys might like to document their sticks (store bought, home rolled or otherwise) features and characteristics .

Pretty neat link. That would be useful for a guy like me that can't describe a cigar. Maybe if I tried harder....:)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That cigar tasting sheet raises some interesting issues regarding how one evaluates a cigar. The designer of the sheet has already decided on your behalf how various aspects of a cigar should be weighted against one another. For example, how the cigar functions (aroma, draw, burn) account for only 70%. Does the "ash" matter, if the aroma, draw and burn are excellent? Does "drink pairing" relate somehow to the quality of a cigar? If you've just smoked the best cigar in your life, does it matter that its appearance is not matched to the expectations of retail purchasers?

It's nice to have a systematic way to record observations, but the structure of the system itself will influence your results. I would suggest that each prospective user of this tasting sheet simply scan it for ideas, then construct your own sheet and scoring system. Regardless, all scoring sheets of this sort, and all cigar scorings (e.g. Cigar Aficionado), are dubious attempts to quantify non-quantifiable aspects of qualities. They're good for record accumulation, but not ideal for knowledge and understanding.

Bob

Gdaddy

Since the palate of the person smoking the cigar can vary and can greatly influence the flavor it would seem rather important to take notes of what you ate and drank prior and during. When the moon and stars align for that perfect smoking experience it's not just the cigar that's responsible. It's definitely a variable that should be considered.

waikikigun

Cool chart.

I still can't be convinced to care about the "cold draw," and barely about the "unlit aroma." I'm surprised there's not something on there about "retrohale impressions"....

I would also include sections for "impression of nausea-and-sweat-inducing strength," as well as "nicotine buzz," and "general feeling about the quality of the tobacco intoxication."

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
And the setting! Indoors or out? Current relative humidity? Stress levels?

In previous years, when I backpacked at every opportunity, I used to include within my pack a Ziplock-enclosed cedar box designed to hold 10 double coronas. The fairly flat box fit neatly inside the zip pocket of the pack's top flap, alongside my topo map. I would fill it with Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Stogies, for smoking one each evening. In December of 1998, just before departing for 10 days within the Grand Canyon backcountry, I received an Opus X from my brother. He indicated that it was to be smoked on Christmas eve, along the Colorado River. So it was included in my cigar stash for the 10-day hike.

When the time came (on the third night, I believe) that I lit up the Christmas Eve Opus X--after sharing with my son a humble, one-pot dinner cooked on a gasoline stove, and a dessert of heavenly Pistachio pudding mixed with powdered milk in a Nalgene bottle--I found that I would have preferred smoking one of my Marsh Wheeling stogies for the occasion. The Opus X is a sophisticated, leather sofa cigar. The Marsh Wheeling is a pragmatic, sit on a flat rock kind of cigar. One is lovingly hand-rolled by experts, from the finest tobaccos. The other is merely machine-made floor sweepings.

A scoring sheet would be challenged to capture the holistic context.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Bob, Have you ever considered writing a book about what you know about tobacco ? The experiences ,trials and tribulations and general and quite in depth knowledge you have of this leaf from start to finish and its history just amazes me. I think you need to get it down on paper ...I'm dead serious.

webmost

Cool chart. ...

I'm surprised there's not something on there about "retrohale impressions"....

I would also include sections for "impression of nausea-and-sweat-inducing strength," as well as "nicotine buzz," and "general feeling about the quality of the tobacco intoxication."

Well, you gotta start somewhere. After that, you can put more notes on the back of the sheet. Or come up with your own sheet.

The two major important items which I find are always left out: Stinkfinger and Morning Mouth. A good cigar leaves you with aromatic fingers which you want to sniff from time to time all the rest of the evening. A good rolling session the same, BTW. A bad cigar the opposite. You want to wash your clothes. Most importantly: A good cigar leaves you with a fine tasty experience next morning with your coffee. You ought not regret having smoked that stogie next day. A bad cigar you want to call Roto Rooter. These two experiences, Stinkfinger and Morning Mouth, especially the Morning Mouth, are major factors whether I want to repeat a certain brand or blend of cigar or not. Like a good woman: it's not just how she treats you tonight, it's also how she'll treat you tomorrow, that determines whether she's a skank or an angel.

Status
Not open for further replies.