Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kullas New kiln build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kullas

Have you figured out a seal or seals for the doors?

Bob
I got to get that figured out. The gap between the door and frame is small. so i will need to come up with something thin to seal it off

Some good and some bad today. The humidifier with the tank on top does very god up to around 100 degrees. at around 115 to 118 to much pressure builds up in the tank and floods the unit and makes a mess. So i looked online and found a Vicks warm vapor humidifier that has the tank on bottom. So i sent the wife to town and 10 miles and $16 later i had one in hand. I hooked it up and it was up and running. temp is slow to reach 127 from 115 and humidity is slow from 55 to 67%. i took some thin wedges of foam i cut and slid in around the doors and the system was doing alot better. So next up is getting the doors sealed. Everything was within range when i left it so maybe it will be in the morning.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The cool thing about wire shelves is that you can hang tobacco from them, or stack hands of tobacco on top of them, or both. They also allow good air circulation through the whole box.

attachment.php

kullas

That is looking good I think wire shelves is the way I will go.

I have thenp steady from 125 and the rh steady from 60 to 65 I think I'm going to hang a hand or 2 in and let it go

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Before loading tobacco, I ran my temperature up to 170 with no humidity and ran it for several hours. I opened the door every now and then to let the stinky stuff out and fresh air in. It seemed to burn off some nasties. It helps the foam board off gas and I think the wire shelves gave off a stink for awhile at those temps. They're plastic coated. No problem with taste or odor since then, just that sweet lovely kilning tobacco aroma.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The problem with the Acme plans is that they only are for Road Runners and from what I understand, they don't actually work.

kullas

I love watching how the Acme plan turns out :)
The kiln ran for almost a full day with the highest temp up to 140. I had it open several times tweaking things.
at the time i decided to put the bacca in there was no off smells. I checked it this morning everything was hot and humid, 127 degrees. But nothing was wet humidity was 64.
I opened it up this morning and was a sweet grassy smell. I have to admit i liked it. was my tobacco in a kiln i made and was running like it was supposed to. This weekend i am going to work on the doors.
What would happen if i put green leaf in there at 125 temp and 65%rh?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What would happen if i put green leaf in there at 125 temp and 65%rh?

I think the guys that air cure in their chambers have to vent the excess moisture. Green leaf is 80% water and it has to go somewhere. I would recommend either air curing or kilning but not both at the same time.

I

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Can you kiln shredded leaf that has been air dried.

Yes. A wire basket would work well. I kilned some whole leaf in open vapor proof bags during my last run, along with some hanging hands. Quite a bit of condensation was created by and trapped inside the plastic bags leaving standing water in the bottom. Some of my leaf in the bags had begun to turn to mush before I caught it. The water was dark brown so some good stuff washed out of the wet leaf. A wire basket (or something similar) will allow proper air circulation and escape of the moisture.

Smokin Harley

Kullas...If you haven't got your wire shelves installed yet , take a look at mine ...I installed wire shelving with the steel adjustable supports attached to the back...That way you can move your shelves elevation as to hanging leaf (hands)or top loading (stacking) .
In fact I may add another shelf or two to mine ...another reason to use the adjustable shelf system, you can add more supports quickly and easily.
And I agree with you about the aluminum tape ..its some downright sticky stuff(but it seals great). and if you're not careful you can slice your fingers open before you know it. Looks like a nice kiln build. Watch out for warping on those wooden doors. Once the heat and humidity get to working together , theres no telling what gaps will magically open up today that weren't there yesterday. I like how you have your humidity control separate from the heat source. I may look into doing something like that myself .

kullas

The problem I am having right now is finding something to add humidity that will stand up to the temp. The hot vapor machine I had crapped out so the baccy just setting there atm. I got to the doors sealed up but I'm still not happy with it. I have a friend that is willing to donate a stanr up freezer for the small price of a cigar or 2. So I'm thinking that is the direction I am going to take. I will post it in a couple days maybe.

Smokin Harley

best use of a crockpot besides making dinner while you're at work ...a tobacco kiln heat source and humidifier. You may want to just go for a turkey roaster since your cabinet looks pretty big.
Check out your local thrift stores for each of those . I got my crockpot for only $10 and it was new in the box, unused. Whatever you do though as I had to learn the hard way ...when the crockpot needs water, unplug it a couple hours first to cool then put in preheated water or you'll temperature shock the ceramic crock .

Status
Not open for further replies.