Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kullas New kiln build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kullas

Well with the problems i had with the box i did go a different route. I am liking this alot so far. The temps and humidity on the box is not long after i plugged it up. So far i am happy with it. I will check it in the morning and see how the temp and humidity settles out at. So far so good. O and the best part is it had a line busted and didnt work and was given to me.

kullas

I did some rewiring and used the wires that was already in the freezer to wire up plug to plug in the fan and crock pot. behind the panel in the back was a fan it pulls air grom the bottom and pushes it out the top plus it came with wire shelves. I wish i had found this before i started the other box.

kullas

Well it is sealed up real nice and very efficient the temp settled out at 205 and humidity at 65.4. This was with the crock pot on high. I turned it down to low. Now to see where it settles out on low. I may have to use 2 more of the wires and hook it up to the temp controller set on the cool setting as a fail safe so it wont get to hot.

kullas

I got it on keep warm setting atm when I get home ih it is still high I am going to wire it up to the controller

kullas

Well the keep warm setting was 2 much when I got back it was setting on 156. So I wired it up to the controller. It may go a little over 125 from residual heat but should not go whole lot over. Then I can adjust the cut off temp. Fingers crossed

kullas

Well I did get it wired to the controller last night. Checked on it this morning 64.5 rh and 127 temp. I didn't have to add water only very little was gone. Its looking better.

I did plug up the lamp in the other cabinet along with a fan to dry the stems on the 40 leaves I had in the shed. It is staying right around 100 with one of the doors cracked open.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Well I did get it wired to the controller last night. Checked on it this morning 64.5 rh and 127 temp. I didn't have to add water only very little was gone. Its looking better.

I did plug up the lamp in the other cabinet along with a fan to dry the stems on the 40 leaves I had in the shed. It is staying right around 100 with one of the doors cracked open.

That's a great idea turning the wood cabinet into a stem drying cabinet. That should work out great for you.

kullas

So far its working good. Some of the first leaves I primed I let set in the shed and some of them got a little mold around the stem. Being next year I'm wanting to grow some for chew I need to do all I can to keep the mold off

This morning I did notice some moisture around the door seals on the bottom and side. I put some silicone around the outside of the door seal, where the seal connects to the door. Water usage in the crock is very little so it should easily go several days.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
So far its working good. Some of the first leaves I primed I let set in the shed and some of them got a little mold around the stem. Being next year I'm wanting to grow some for chew I need to do all I can to keep the mold off

This morning I did notice some moisture around the door seals on the bottom and side. I put some silicone around the outside of the door seal, where the seal connects to the door. Water usage in the crock is very little so it should easily go several days.

You'll want to allow your stem drying cabinet to breathe or vent. Drying leaf or stems can put out a lot of moisture that can cause mold or slow down drying in an enclosed space.

kullas

:) I should have seperated the 2 better. The first part is the drying cabinet. I have the door cracked open so hot air anf vapor can escape and fresh air can come in the bottom. Plus a little fan to keep everything circulating

The 2nt part is for the kiln and the door seals that was getting a little little air in causing a little moisture on the door.

Gmac

As i have said in another post, my box i was going to use is not going to do it for me so off to build another. I will be posting pics along the way. and asking some questions im sure.
Here is what i have done so far. I built a controller box that i could use on any box i decide to use. I will be using a cabinet for the box i will post a pic of it later this evening.
The controller uses a temp controller and a humidity controller wired to separate outlets. I going to try and use a humidifier and a heat lamp and 2 fans

Where can I buy a box like this, and what would I ask for?

Gmac

juan carlos

i don't think you buy those, you build them.
if you do, post up...i'd be interested to learn with you. I have made similar things for other hobbies...Amazon is your friend here.

kullas

I did build that one. I used the temp and humidity controller I bought on ebay. The box is a electrical control box I got at work. I wired the output of the controllers to the outlets. Not to hard to do if you don't mind working with electrical. The cord that goes in the box runs both controllers and the outputs of the controllers. That way its kind of a plug and play type box.

kullas

I thought it was a time for a update its been a week with baccy in.
Its been 2 days since i checked on it and the humidity was 64.2 and the temp was 127 and there was plenty of water in the crock to go another day.
So far so good nothing but a sweet smell. By the time it comes out i will be ready to put the 2nt picking in. and then the tops i cut. i may put all the rest in for the last run.
Here is a pic. the shelves in the door is a product of the 200+ temp when i first started it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.