Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Waxy flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORoller55

Hi All,

Last night I smoked an aged cigar of mine (for the second time) With a Dominican Filler and CT Maduro wrapper. The strange thing about this cigar though (and all the others ones Ive smoked with this blend) is that the flavor tastes very waxy to me? What i mean by that is that as Im smoking it, it tastes like Im smoking a long unscented candle... With small hints of hazelnut here and there, and some spice. But not very flavorful or aromatic. In fact, the flavor and aroma both are "waxy" to me... It isnt a powerhouse stick either, for your reference.

Im simply curious if any of you have had this flavor/experience in your cigars before? And if so, is it a problem with the wrapper, the ageing, or just not a happy blend?

Thanks a lot!

CoRoller

waikikigun

I've never had a waxy smoke, but I have had rubbery and soapy. The soapy came from Pioloto Cubano seco. The rubbery came from stuff that didn't burn well and sort of melted.

CORoller55

what are you using for glue ?

i dont think its the glue, since ive used it on many cigars before and never had this problem. i use gum arabic and the other one, gum something or other...

Im starting to think that the Maduro I had may not be a true Maduro leaf and may be dyed...

CORoller55

The Maduro is CT Maduro... Since I cant be sure of anything I would prefer not to list the seller, and Im hoping it was a one time issue...

Personally, the CT Maduro has a great flavor on brand cigars, but the CT Maduro Ive been sent in the past has also had several issues with it... I dont know if anyone else can share my experiences, but it is a shame to me.

CORoller55

Hey Muskrat, thats a good idea... I just may do that.
On another note, I am enjoying my current cigar with a CT Shade wrapper, with the same filler as the problematic stick mentioned above... all good!

Something interesting I noted a few days ago, while I was smoking a Liga Privada no. 9... I also got that waxiness, at the beginning to about half way through, but not as strong. Interestingly enough, the Liga Privada also uses CT Broadleaf Maduro, I believe...

Also, can anyone chime in on this? While i was lighting the foot of the Liga Privada, a spark jumped out, like what you might expect from a sparkler. Ive never had something like that happen before. Now, from the FTT forums Ive heard about additives being used in the wrapper to aid in combustion - and Im wondering if that may have been it? Any input?

Ben Brand

Had a cigar last night. Criollo98 with some Con b leaf, very nice, BUT all of a sudden a strong waxy chemical taste, and vile smell. Dissected it, was a small bit of feather that must have stuck to my tobacco that I missed when rolling. I do get some wild parrot doves in the trees in summer, feather must have blown onto the tobacco. NOT nice.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...a small bit of feather that must have stuck to my tobacco...
Feathers and spider silk (and bug cocoons) contain mostly protein, and like burning hair, are nasty inside a cigar. By contrast, grass clippings, milkweed seeds and other foreign plant matter that might adhere to a tobacco leaf are usually composed of carbohydrates, which burn more easily, and generally don't stink--though they may give an off aroma. Dried bugs are mostly chitin, and also don't seem to smell bad when they burn, despite having a high disgust factor.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.