Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

All American Cigar blend ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Here's a game, make a cigar using only American variety tobaccos.
Ct broadleaf
Burley
Dark air
Etc

So from the inside going out: red tips core, dark air filler, one sucker binder, ct broadleaf wrapper

What do you think? Let's blend some cigars with only American tobaccos.

I'm getting ready to order some more tobacco, I'll be the judge of whose blend is the best after I order, roll and smoke it:)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A little burley goes a long way in a cigar. It seems to match nicely as a binder, beneath a CT Broadleaf wrapper.

I am inclined to use either a small amount of Dark Air or burley, but not both, if I do put them into a cigar. Either one will improve a filler blend of very bland tobacco.

Having said that, a burley red tip puro seems to work better than when burley is blended in high proportions with other varieties. I'm not sure why that is true. Burley as a wrapper can be beautiful, but its large water-holding capacity means that a burley wrapper tends to get pretty soggy while smoking.

Swarr-Hibshman is a prolific producer of mild-to-medium strength, mildly flavored filler. Spiced with a little tip leaf from just about anything, it makes a great filler blend.

FL Sumatra is always a great wrapper. I've grown it only in sun. And, of course, CT Shade is American as well.

Little Dutch, PA Red and Long Red--alone or mixed, when used as filler, predominate in woody and leathery aromas. My verdict is not yet in for Dutch (Ohio) and Red Rose.

Comstock Spanish (from WI) and Zimmer Spanish (from OH) can produce some wonderfully dark fillers and wrappers.

Glessnor makes huge leaves that work well as wrappers, binders, or as a mild filler ingredient.

Fire-cured tobacco can be used to create an Appalachian-style cigar, or a Toscano cigar.

If you go beyond the usual, commercially available varieties, the list of possibilities is enormous.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I forgot I have pa red seed, so far as I know no one sells it though. Might be a good excuse to grow it.

I grew narrow leaf madole last year and know it makes a great binder. I also have ct49 which is one of the more popular ct shade leaves, I am trying to source the ct broadleaf right now, although if both were grown in the sun I think they would be pretty similar, I think I read that broadleaf was used in the selection for shade leaf.

For now I've got the 4 varieties along with Don's light fired leaf incoming and am going to try changing position and ratios to see what possibilities emerge.

I once ordered leaf from a small time leaf seller in Amish country that I think shopped the auctions and sold small orders online, anyway one of the cigar varieties (a shame he made up his own names for everything) was pretty good. That might have been pa red or pa seedleaf, I don't know, and forgot who it was.

Well, it will be fun any way.

webmost

I forgot I have pa red seed, so far as I know no one sells it though. Might be a good excuse to grow it.

I grew narrow leaf madole last year and know it makes a great binder. I also have ct49 which is one of the more popular ct shade leaves, I am trying to source the ct broadleaf right now, although if both were grown in the sun I think they would be pretty similar, I think I read that broadleaf was used in the selection for shade leaf.

For now I've got the 4 varieties along with Don's light fired leaf incoming and am going to try changing position and ratios to see what possibilities emerge.

I once ordered leaf from a small time leaf seller in Amish country that I think shopped the auctions and sold small orders online, anyway one of the cigar varieties (a shame he made up his own names for everything) was pretty good. That might have been pa red or pa seedleaf, I don't know, and forgot who it was.

I think I know the guy you mean. I tried several times to get up with him so I could drop by to see what he's got, since he's so close. But he was evasive, so it put me off. Never could get a clear idea what he sold. Loads of tobacco grown round there. Makes a wonderful odor this time of year riding thru Amish country smelling drying barns. They grow some huge leaves, and they grow quick as a wink, too.

Ben Brand

cs-gat.jpg
Category: 5-PacksCigar Size: 4.7" x 52
Talk about unique! George Rico Miami STK is an all-American puro, and is being offered as part of George Rico’s S.T.K. Miami line. It features a silky smooth Connecticut wrapper, a Connecticut binder, and a bevy of fillers from Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Kentucky. That’s right, every tobacco leaf in the mix was harvested right here in the U.S.A. The flavor profile includes notes of molasses and vanilla alongside a hint of spice. The pleasant medium-bodied profile is universally appealing, and the well-balanced character will keep you coming back for more.

Smokin Harley

I grew PA Red this year. I ended up with 9 plants...I was and still am very impressed by the speed and size of the grow. Huge leaves .Although I noticed that even though most of the leaves were gator skin texture and snapped off like celery , the ones that were not already brown tipped are not readily yellowing like those that were. I think besides filler they will make good binder because of the thickness and size of the leaves.
Try it , I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Little Dutch filler
Yellow Pryor binder
Glessnor Wrapper

This would have been a pretty common cigar in the 1870's or so.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I think a lot of that is an out with the old and in with the new mentality. When I first got started growing a few years ago I was looking to all the exotic leaves, now I'm starting to look closer to home.

I think a lot of the difference is in the processing. My latest idea might make compost, but if not I'm thinking that I can achieve a snuff smelling/tasting cigar right here. You know that thick rich essence of pure tobacco, all dark and reminiscent of molasses and raisins.

Gdaddy

Tatuaje La Casita Criolla

Made from all Ct broadleaf binder, filler and wrapper. Pete Johnson, Don Pepin and AJ Fernandez are a few big names that use both PA and CT tobaccos.

My all American blend would be...

PA broadleaf seco and/or viso
CT binder
CT shade wrapper

This could be easily be tweaked by adding some Nic seco or Piloto which would improve the burn and add character but then it wouldn't be all American.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I used to enjoy Judges Cave cigars (machine made), from F.D. Grave, when they were made from American tobacco. By some bizarre logic, the company started using Dominican tobaccos. Too bad.

JudgescaveGIF.gif

Bob

Ben Brand

I'm thinking that I can achieve a snuff smelling/tasting cigar right here. You know that thick rich essence of pure tobacco

SmokesAhoy, my cigar tobacco (home grown) doesn`t smell at all like cigar tobacco, more like a sweet pipe tobacco. If you ever get that smell right please let me know how. Bigdog calls it sheep manure smell, and I agree with him!!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ben, I've never gotten a sweet pipe tobacco flavor thankfully, maybe it's your soil? I know I'm in the wrong part of the world to grow but the soil is good and the tobacco tastes like it should, my only problem is the temperature and excess rain which makes for a thinner leaf. Ironically this is the first year I've taken off from growing tobacco and it's been the hottest and driest one yet, that's my luck I guess hehe. I'm thinking to make the cigar snuff like I will dry leaf out totally after deribbing, make a solution of water and lye and put in a spray bottle to mist the leaf with, then fold when I can and store wet for a week. Next bring to correct case for the components, roll it up and bring it to smoking case. Works on snuff, I figure wth, it's worth a try.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Well the rest of the leaf arrived today. So I rolled up a cigar with 2 ct broadleaf binders, inside was a core of red tip covered in dark air and very well aged dark air. It was good as is. I didn't have much time before work and was trying to roll a smaller cigar, which is kind of hard with these huge leaves hehe. It was smoked a bit later. Was really good as is. Very full flavored. Experimenting will be fun. I'll keep updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.