Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Mold?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountbaldy

First time baccy farmer
OK, before you all give me a bunch of crap for adding a humidifier to a closed system without adding any venting for drying green leaf... That said, I had one Mudlug from a CTBL plant that might have mold growing on it.. But I do not know. It could be bad lighting too. That said, I trolled the forum and found no pics of tobacco mold.. This leaf is pretty dry. The vein does still have moisture in it but the leaf feels dry. It does not break when bent so it appears to be in case still.

Anyhow, is this tobacco mold or poor lighting?

This is all the same leaf...

CTBroadleafMudLug_Resize.jpg
Under sunlight...

CTBroadleafMudlug2_Resize.jpg
In shade...

CTBroadleafMudLug3.jpg
Close up of suspicious dark spots... (upper left)

My chamber was set to 70% RH. Like I said everything inside seems dryish. No water spots on leaf even right above the humidifier. I have rotated my leaf from back (first priming) to front (greenest). Now it's reverse that. Temps are low 80's.

If you have a pic of a moldy leaf, please post it! I'd like to know what to look for.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks again! I'm probably overreacting but, I don't want to loose my crop to mold!

Cheers,

Joe

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I can't tell from the pictures, but if it is mold, a misting with 50% vinegar/water will kill the mold. Dry the leaf after spraying, then rehydrate. I had to spray a lot of leaf from last year and didn't have a bad taste or smell.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Hard to say from the pictures. Is the "mold" fuzzy?
The vinegar/water mix will work but I prefer a 1% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) just because I use it for everything around the house.

ChinaVoodoo

If you can't remove it mechanically, I doubt it's mold. If you can qtip up some of the black, and put it in a petri dish with agar, it should continue to grow. Or, you could excise a small bit of the black part of the leaf and moisten it and see if it grows.

Did you spray fertilizer on it? It could be a burned or stained part on the lower leaf where the rain didn't really get to rinse it.

mountbaldy

First time baccy farmer
Thanks guys! It does not come off mechanically. I used organic fertilizer on them along with plant spikes. Last liquid dose was about three weeks ago prior to harvest. I did, however, notice some "fuzz"on another leaf. I'm going to try the hydrogen peroxide method on any affected leaf. Thanks!

Cheers,

Joe

buck

I have some leaf that looks like that more so on the mudlugs for some reason. If it's not fuzzy and doesn't wipe off then chances are that's it's not mold but better to be safe than not.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Other than the obvious "moldy smell" of molded or mildewed tobacco, there is really only one significant risk to your health. Aspergillus niger (a fuzzy, black mold) and some other species of Aspergillus may produce aflatoxin, which can cause liver disease. BUT...if it is burned on a leaf of tobacco, the aflatoxin is destroyed by the heat. So, if an apparently moldy tobacco leaf doesn't smell bad after you've killed the mold with dilute H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub] or dilute acetic acid (white vinegar), it is safe to smoke, so long as you don't use it for cigar wrapper (you suck on it, unburned) or use it for smokeless tobacco.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.