Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I didn't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I didn't get it, I didn't get it.... Now I get it.

Snuff (nasal), I've tried it in the past and wasn't impressed. On a lark I made some with some red Virginia because I had it sitting around. I still didn't really get it.

My order of dark air and light fire cured from WLT arrived last week and I said to myself wow, I should try it again with this. For anyone that still hasn't tried Don's fire cured let me say, you are missing out. No that doesn't cover it, let's just say it's awesome. It's thick, leathery and oily, and the smell is so wonderful if you don't start salivating on the spot there is something wrong with you! Well I dried out 3 of the massive fire cured leaves and a half pound of dark air and blended it up into powder roughly a 30/70 ratio. After I sifted it I made a recipe of snuff, scaling up, using juxtaposers recipe.

This is amazing and not even really done yet, and let me say, holy crap, I get snuff now. Holy crap is this good!

bonehead

i like poshls ozona president,gletcherprise menthol mint and ozona cherry snuff also gawlith appricot in that order. 35 years ago it was readily available in ct. 20 years ago it was almost imposible to find in ct. and i havent seem it in ct. for a long time now. last time i found it i was in ny city and bought boxes of containers. i guess you could call them cartons. with the president and gaetcherprice mint it would be like a breath of fresh air where you couldnt smoke or even where you could. i made and still make homemade but i cant crack the code. if anyone ever tried any of these and has a recipe please let me in on it.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Sorry, here is his recipe and the thread from where he posted it:
Here is a basic recipe that can be used for making snuff.

ground and sieved tobacco flour 1/4 cup
distilled water 2 teaspoons
sodium carbonate (washing soda) 1/8 teaspoon
table salt 1/2 teaspoon

Dissolve soda and salt in water then add to tobacco flour.
Jar and let sit for one week.

http://snuffhouse.com/discussion/6032/snuff-making-101/p1

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I subbed out calcium hydroxide as that is what I had, and scaled up. Recipe works nicely. I've got a few different batches. One was a mix of ytb, silk leaf, goldenseal, yellow Orinoco, I used honey whiskey as some of the water in that. Its good. But the one that is great is the light fired leaf from wlt and va dark leaf mix mentioned above.

Basically you just mix it. I mix the ingredients and then pour over the sifted tobacco in a zip lock bag, massage it and mix it up real good. Then take one of the bags I get from wholeleaftobacco and cut it the same size as the baggie and seal it with my wife's hair iron to age. I reuse Don's bags that's the only reason I use the zip locks. I do about 2 cup batches as without the heating element of snus it takes longer to age and mature.

If anyone has been curious, I say give it a try, Don's light fire cured and va dark is just perfect, I could see this one basic recipe getting tweaked all around for variation too.

And for someone that totally didn't get snuff, for me to like it this much makes me think there are others that might also think the same way.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So I've been experimenting with this a lot lately. I've made a bunch of different blends with various leaf and it's really amazingly good.

It's amazing. I've blended some of Don's cigar leaf and it comes out to a pitch black snuff after subjecting it to the maillard process. For something I absolutely didn't comprehend before I'm amazed at how much it has taken over my tobacco use. My latest batches have been perfect, aside from a few cigars while out with the family it has been my sole use of tobacco. It's just so satisfying.

Holy crap, they really had it right 200 years ago, I'd be surprised with how much it has fallen out of favor if I didn't remember my own attitude for it.

If you are even slightly curious, try it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.