Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar Leaf Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountbaldy

First time baccy farmer
I haven't been able to locate any good info on how to properly select leaf for various cigar rolling purposes. I've watched a few rolling videos and read a few articles about commercial cigar rolling but haven't gotten many hints on what makes one leaf better than the next, other than leaf position on the plant itself. So...

I've read thinner leaf makes good binder and wrapper and that middle leaves make good binder and wrapper but...

How do you select leaf for wrapper leaf? Binder leaf? And filler leaf?

Cheers,

Joe

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Filler is whatever you want it to be, but helps to have some lower primings in there to help with combustion.

Binder is whatever you want it to be, but it helps if it's thick, leathery.. It's what is holding the cigar together tightly and not rupturing.

Wrapper is whatever you want it to be, choose it based on looks, flavor, whatever. Typically it's super thin with small veins and provides flavor and a sightly appearance while the binder does most of the work of holding the filler inside.

Tobacco gets classed as filler/binder/wrapper but there is no reason not to use any type for any position if it works for you.

Smokin Harley

good info from SmokesAhoy...

typically you need 3 positions of leaf for a cigar to "function" properly,although not a necessity. I've rolled an all viso blend with a Dom binder and either a Corojo or Ecuador Maduro wrapper that is out of this world.

if you do choose the 2 or 3 position blend , make sure the construction allows the foot (ash end) to burn and result in a cone shape when you ash it. if it is built wrong , you'll get canoeing or tunneling or it just won't burn right (continuously need to relight ).

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Although it is true that you can use any class of tobacco for wrapper (I've even used Oriental and flue-cured on occasion), selecting a variety that is classed as wrapper will offer a higher probability of getting a decent quantity of nice, large-leafed, usable wrapper.

Since I do not use shade-growing, I look for wrapper varieties that do well in full sun.
  • FL Sumatra
  • Besuki
  • Timor
  • CT Broadleaf
Some other classes have given me excellent quantities of wrapper grade leaf:
  • Glessnor (a bit thick)
  • Swarr-Hibshman (a bit thick)
  • Brasil Dunkel
Some wrapper varieties that have done poorly for me (usually because of small leaf size or increased rugosity) when sun-grown:
  • CT Shade
  • Magnolia
  • Metacomet
  • Moonlight
There are many, many wrapper varieties to play with. When you grow binder and filler varieties, you will usually get some nice wrapper, but a lower percentage.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Leaf position also affects the strength of the flavor and nicotine. Seco is the mildest in taste and nicotine with good burning properties. Viso is the middle primings and it is stronger than Seco in taste and nicotine but milder than Ligero. Ligero is the beast. It has the strongest flavor and highest nicotine of the priming positions. I usually only use a half leaf of Ligero in a blend (or no Ligero if looking for mild to medium cigar)

Status
Not open for further replies.