Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sour effect caused by a casing

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomnas

what casings can you recommend i apply to my straight red virginia pipe tobacco to get a sour taste to the tongue from first light? the sourness will hit the tongue as a stream, like a low heat steam. the tobacco itself isn't capable of doing this, so i am looking forma common casing used to accomplish this.

if you've ever had either, it's the same sour to the tongue you get when smoking seattle pipe club's mississippi river or 4noggins' prairie wind.

thanks!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Sour sensation results from a low pH (more acidic). I'm not sure what "straight red Virginia pipe tobacco" means. Is it a commercial product, purchased whole leaf, or home grown? If home grown or purchased whole leaf, how was it cured (air-cured or flue-cured)?

Regardless, you can try misting it with a solution of citric acid, often available for sale alongside food canning items.

Bob

thomnas

I'm talking about a specific blend of McClelland's called 5100 red cake. I want to know what kind of fruit topping is put on it to make the extreme citrus tastes and berry-like smell of seattle pipe club's mississippi river. Any ideas?

thomnas

if i were to buy some lemon and orange extracts, any suggestions of how much of the extract to diluted water i should use on the ribbon tobacco? how should i apply it? should it be soaked, heated?

Thanks!

kullas

When adding flavor i dry the tobacco out dry, so the flavoring will soak in. As to how much the flavoring im not sure its more if a trial and error thing. Just mist it on and mix it together so it all gets happy.

Reconstructing a specific commercial blend is a hard thing to do with all the different things they put in it. I have been trying to reproduce Copenhagen and there basic recipe is on there website. Still hard to get it the same. But what i can say is i have found some other blends i like along the way and some i dont. That is why i say its a trial and error thing.

Matty

About citrus extracts, flavorings and oils, they dissipate fairly quickly. A carrier like glycerine or propylene glycol can be used to "lock" the flavour and aroma in the tobacco. I've tried it a few times but never got anything I liked. Some where around here is a link to a tobacco flavouring book that explains this and much more.
The sour note can possibly come from an oriental/turkish tobacco and not actually an additive at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.