Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Yellow Pryor vs. Hickory Pryor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Can anyone comment on the differences between the two ( if any)? I'm planning to grow some Yellow Pryor for pipe smoking and was wondering if anyone has grown/tried any and could give me a run down on the differences/similarities etc.

Randy B

ChuckP

Howdy Randy,

This is slightly off-topic. But since you were mentioning pipe smoking. I got some Yellow Orinoco from seedman and was planning to grow some this year. Has anyone had any experience growing this variety?

Thanx, Chuck.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Hey Chuck..long time no hear from...
I grew it a few years ago. It has very thick leaves and makes a great chewing tobacco. That was the first variety I ever planted that molded on me while it was curing. I initially blamed the mold problem on the very thick leaves because as they cured they curled up real tight making airflow through them difficult. Now I'm not too sure. I grew these earlier in the season and they were curing during the very humid months of late July /August. If I were to grow them again I would prime them and space the leaves a little farther apart than usual. I added a leaf or two to a few cigars but there was no "wow" this is great effect

Randy B

And speaking of PRYOR.. I guess I'll grow my Yellow Pryor this year and hopefully trade with someone that grows the Hickory version.

ChuckP

Howdy Randy,

Yeah, it's been busy around here with a new grandson and granddaughter on the way, it's been very busy. ;) Thanks for the advice on the Y.O. Maybe I'll just try a couple of plants and add some Yellow Twist Bud to my pipe tobacco repertoire. Thanks Again -- Chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.