Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Leaf chew, chaw , etc. Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
My honeymoon phase was over a long time ago. She gave me some great kids and is an excellent mother. All I'm wondering now is how soon is too soon to buy the corvette and start dating 16 year old girls again? ;)

Smokin Harley

well now....maybe you'd better go ask her . If she glares at you and says go ahead, thats a dare, don't do it. Make em ,at minimum ,21 though...

Smokin Harley

mixed up a batch of chew last night after work .
I had some way over-flavored cinnamon apple jack in a quart mason jar .Used that in place of apple juice ( that cinnamon apple chew recipe sounded great),molasses ,honey ,sea salt and threw in what little was left from peach birddog whiskey (barely 3/4 oz) and a little Jaegermeister for its licorice flavor (2 oz)and a pinch of baking soda ...I tasted the syrup before putting in the ribbed leaf...pretty close taste to Red Man Golden Blend.
I used PA Red and Va Gold . I was able to make one part of it up and make a twist ,but it was so sticky I just put the rest in another zip lock bag , squeezed out the air and sealed it up to mellow . I'll try it in a week.

Smokin Harley

ok, I stuck my nose to the baggie of sticky chew...the aroma of cinnamon apple is very nice. Its only been "mellowing" for 4 days ,but I may try a little bit later today.

Smokin Harley

I guess I forgot to follow up on the cinnamon apple chew ...Its really tasty . The cinnamon is not overly heavy the first 10 minutes but once that goes away there is an enjoyable green apple flavor that just lingers . Something I would attempt to make again for sure, might try steaming the leaf with cinnamon sticks in the water ,maybe steam will drive it in so it lasts longer.

DGBAMA

I wonder if making Cavendish (known to uptake flavor better than other processing methods), then using said flavored Cavendish in a chew or snus would work out?

Smokin Harley

Reviving and revisiting my own thread...
I got my order of WLT leaf yesterday afternoon. In the order I asked Don for a one or 2 leaf sample of the Black Fronto and Tennessee Fire Cured leaves hoping to do two things -
1)compare the product with those homegrown leaves I had "Illinois Fire Cured " . Which aroma-wise, I'm extremely close .I need to re-case it and do another run, or two.
2) use them each/both in a small sampling of both pipe blend and a chewing tobacco platform.

I'm sure there are posts about them in brief in this vast forum but not much within this thread as I had hoped.
So then-
If you have any such experience using a Fire Cured Tobacco (homemade or bought) as a pipe tobacco blend or an oral (chewing/specifically "loose leaf" e.g-RedMan,Levi Garrett, Taylors Pride,etc) tobacco, good ,bad or indifferent ...Please post below so that for future reference besides myself , others can easily find it and try "the good" out or in the case of the "bad",hopefully avoid a waste of time and product.
I'm not asking for your secret recipe. That is unless you don't mind sharing . Just looking at a basic proportion and ingredient list (source of any ingredient maybe not found in a typical grocery store )to get started in a positive direction.
Many Thanks

Smokin Harley

I bought some English Toffee concentrated flavoring the other day. I think its for coffee but I don't see why it wouldn't work for baccy, either chew or pipe..

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Lots of flavorings make good chew. It just depends on what you like. I make a Butterscotch dip that is out of this world. Others that I like are... apple-cinnamon, maple and wintergreen. I'm going to try some pina colada later in the week.

Smokin Harley

yeah , I agree on the apple cinnamon. The stuff I made last year is great. I'm not much of a maple flavoring person.I like it on pancakes and waffles just fine but not chew.
Butterscotch you say? I think that sounds better for the pipe as an after dinner "dessert smoke"...I got this english toffee flavoring and thats my idea.

Smokin Harley

I'm doing a batch of crockpot leaf chew. Using whats left of the Ky Fire Cured WLT wrapper leaf.
So far I have my small crockpot going . In it I started with a can of frozen apple juice concentrate , 1 tsp of kosher salt, 1 tbsp unsulphured molasses ,1 tbsp soy sauce ,2 tbsp raw local honey, and several droppers of liquorice flavoring. Also put in a tsp or so of veg glycerin. Got the sauce nice and hot and now have the leaf shredded and cooking...soaking up.
I have another batch (shredded pieces of scrap cigar tobacco, all kinds of different leaf in there from Criollo98 to Habano to Dominican binder ,and minimal scraps of KY fire cured wrapper, anything and everything I couldn't use as long filler) in the ready that I will use my ball jar wintergreen flavoring ,same basic sauce.
I also have a 3rd batch that I will use scrap leaf and do the apple cinnamon once again since it was so tasty, maybe with the crockpot simmering the sauce into the leaf , the flavor may hang on longer or be more than just a hint.
After the simmer and soak , the treated leaf will be drained of excess liquid , then go into the oven to dry a bit (right around the feel of thin soft leather) before bagging and storage.
My amount of scrap leaf fits (bulging) in one of the 8 x 15 vapor proof poly bags WLT ships .
Should keep me in chew for quite a while.

Smokin Harley

First batch is back in the oven set at 195*F for 10 minutes for the 3rd time to dry out...Its looking and feeling right.
By the way , the vapor proof bags that are said to not be of use in a heat sealer such as a seal-a-meal ...it does in fact work , and works well. I took one full length bag and made 2 shorties out of it. Perfect size for a hefty batch of chew or a pipe tobacco pouch *see reference - http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/7011-Making-a-Perfect-Pipe-Tobacco-Pouch?highlight=pouch

really wish I could find a source for the foil lined bags commercially made chew comes in ,but this definitely works well.

ArizonaDave

I'm doing a batch of crockpot leaf chew. Using whats left of the Ky Fire Cured WLT wrapper leaf.
So far I have my small crockpot going . In it I started with a can of frozen apple juice concentrate , 1 tsp of kosher salt, 1 tbsp unsulphured molasses ,1 tbsp soy sauce ,2 tbsp raw local honey, and several droppers of liquorice flavoring. Also put in a tsp or so of veg glycerin. Got the sauce nice and hot and now have the leaf shredded and cooking...soaking up.
I have another batch (shredded pieces of scrap cigar tobacco, all kinds of different leaf in there from Criollo98 to Habano to Dominican binder ,and minimal scraps of KY fire cured wrapper, anything and everything I couldn't use as long filler) in the ready that I will use my ball jar wintergreen flavoring ,same basic sauce.
I also have a 3rd batch that I will use scrap leaf and do the apple cinnamon once again since it was so tasty, maybe with the crockpot simmering the sauce into the leaf , the flavor may hang on longer or be more than just a hint.
After the simmer and soak , the treated leaf will be drained of excess liquid , then go into the oven to dry a bit (right around the feel of thin soft leather) before bagging and storage.
My amount of scrap leaf fits (bulging) in one of the 8 x 15 vapor proof poly bags WLT ships .
Should keep me in chew for quite a while.
Very interesting.....thanks for sharing!

Smokin Harley

The Apple Cinnamon is in the oven now . So far after cooling out of the crock pot it smells great.
(time lapse)
Mixed up the base for the next batch which will be wintergreen. I think instead of mixing all of the wintergreen flavoring in the base ,I'll make the batch with 1/2 the flavor to drive it into the leaf then spray the rest on as a topping between drying sessions for more initial flavor boost.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
By the way , the vapor proof bags that are said to not be of use in a heat sealer such as a seal-a-meal ...it does in fact work , and works well.
The poly-Nylon bags from WLT and the poly-Nylon bags from Seal-a-meal are the same material. So the heat sealer works just fine on both of them. The difference is that the former are smooth, while the latter have one textured side. Where that matters is when you apply a vacuum during sealing. The textured face allows the vacuum to continue drawing well, until the seal finally fuses. That vacuum process doesn't work so well with the smooth bags.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Its the sealing unit I picked up at a thrift store 2 summers ago,doesn't have the vacuum option,but the heat element works great. and perfect size.
So , if they're the same ... Sometimes I find a roll of the seal-a-meal bags on clearance. I can use those too...good to know.

Smokin Harley

Wintergreen one smells strong. Not sure if its the flavoring or the moonshine vapors coming off the crockpot ...or the leaf. Sure clears the head. I got it cut back to warm in the crock while the cinnamon apple one dries in the oven. Smells like Christmas in here.

Smokin Harley

Just bagged up the apple cinnamon to mellow out a couple days in the cold garage . Its not wet but slightly sticky ,hard to describe. Re-fluffed the wintergreen and back in the oven to dry some more ...smells about perfect. Like opening a fresh pouch of beech nut. I'll have to do a taste test to be sure but its looking like mission accomplished !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.