Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

David Garaffalos trip to Cuba

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOE1977

Smoking Pi & Eating Pie With Cuba

The Cigar authority is one of my favorite podcast and in this one David Garaffolo talks about his trip to Cuba rather frankly. Dave is owner of Two Guys Smokeshop in N.H. and one of the most active guys in the B&M industry and cigars in general. he is a also a writer for Cigar journal and a leader for tobacco rights in the U.S..
Give it a listen, They are very entertaining and give some of the best ifo out there on the trade.

Gdaddy

I thought it was a great write up and done with an honest view and intention. However, the hatred and dislike for Dave that came out from it was NOT good. When he says all Cuban cigars are rolled and THEN they are sorted for different labels and when he said all the cigars he had tasted where basically the same... peoples heads exploded. Dave received much hate mail. Many suggesting he wrote the article to bash CC's so he could make more money on his other non-Cuban cigars.

I posted this on the 'Cigar Bum' forum and I was also taken out to the woodshed for just posting it. How dare I post anything negative about their precious Cuban cigars. Nasty, nasty people.

I still think the show was very informative and interesting.

MarcL turned me on to the broadcast and try to watch the show every Saturday. If you miss it you can find the podcast here...

http://thecigarauthority.com/cigar-radio-show/

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
When he says all Cuban cigars are rolled and THEN they are sorted for different labels and when he said all the cigars he had tasted where basically the same.

If he did in fact say this, he complete discredits himself and honestly is not worth listening to other than for entertainment value....so you can laugh at him.

Gdaddy

Some controversial points he makes...

He said he smoked over 50 cigars and felt they were all the same basic blend. They just roll cigars and later sort them by color not by blend as all blends are the same. All were under filled and over humidified. Factories were not clean.

"What about the Cuban “Master Blenders?” What about “not” the Master Blender but just the “regular” cigar blender? I looked everywhere for him… I asked. I met the farmers, the rollers, the folks that dry the tobacco in the barns, I met the tobacco sorters, the tasters and the people in packaging. I saw every part of production in the 6 days I spent in Cuba but I never met a blender… I never heard of one. Is it possible that there are no blends? Every single cigar brand is the same, using tobacco from any farm as long as tobacco used in the cigar has tobacco equally from all three priming’s. By doing so, every cigar will burn acceptable, have an acceptable aroma and some acceptable strength. I believe that is exactly what is happening."

"After the cigars are rolled they are color sorted by size and color. After a box full of matching size and color are together they are brought to the room where many brands are packaged at the same time. Banded, boxed and sealed. By the way, these finished cigars are not placed in aging rooms to rest for 9 months or even 9 minutes, they are ready, or so they say. The tobacco was bailed just 9 months ago and it’s on a cigar that is ready to be sold today. This is way too fast in my opinion."

"I smokes about 50 cigars in 6 days folks (don’t try this at home, I’m a professional). I smoked every brand I could find, different sizes and different colors, on different days and at different times. I took this journey very seriously. The cigars, and I am speaking for all of them, were young, meaning not aged long enough, they were under-filled, they were over humidified, too wet, I could hardly keep them lit and had to re-light over and over again. It was a disappointment because I was expecting much more. These were not the first Cuban cigars I’ve ever smoked and I’ve honestly never been a big fan but I did have some belief that they were better than I detected. I believed I was missing something, maybe they just weren’t up my alley but were great cigars for people who like that flavor. Today I don’t believe that at all. I don’t believe they are great or even very good, they are what was on my tasting notes in the factory which was “sufficiente” of “sufficient”…”regular” or “acceptable” at best."

Sver

I don't know if you guys area familiar with Dr. Joe. Guy might not be for everybody as he can come across as arrogant and what not. But guy puts a lot of research and work into his rants and reviews, i loved this episode.
So if you've got the time, light up a Double Corona and give it a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmxg0HDrkbE

waikikigun

Any time I hear some guy dumping on Cubans, "Not to my taste," or whatever, I pretty much fade out.

I have had many Cuban cigars through the decades, an extremely wide range of vitolas, brands, and flavor/strength profiles, and they were literally all great. Probably every one of them better than any non-Cuban I've smoked.

I'm not some ignorant Cuban fanboy. I've been smoking cigars daily for 25 years, and every Cuban (100 or so) I've smoked was stellar.

It's the tobacco, folks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if you guys area familiar with Dr. Joe. Guy might not be for everybody as he can come across as arrogant and what not. But guy puts a lot of research and work into his rants and reviews, i loved this episode.
So if you've got the time, light up a Double Corona and give it a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmxg0HDrkbE
Good to see a post from you, Sver. Thanks, and welcome to the forum. I managed to watch the first two parts of his discussion, before yielding to diatribe fatigue. It's abrasive, long-winded and informative. The secret to watching it (if your English is fluent) is to adjust the YouTube setting for speed to 2.0X. Even then, he does drone on and on. Spoiler alert: all of part 1 is prelude. The critique begins in part 2.

Bob

JOE1977

I am a little surprised at some of the responses. I honestly believe Dave was being honest with what he saw and experienced. He and his merchandiser John have stated that they have no hatred for the CC and that when the embargo is lifted, they will carry them. With what and how explained the factories it does coincide with how I have read others explain that the government controlled factories roll many a different brand and like he explained that if there is no incentive for the employees to be better at what they do a majority of humans will just plain not care. I think his overall statement could be seen as the Cuban land is still there but like most governments, its bad at business. I think most of us all know that some of the best Cigar family's left for a reason and if communism falls there I could see a lot of them to return and apply what the learned at other locals.

The other part where he mentions that the sticks are rolled not according to strain of leaf but more on priming's over all. it reminded me of Rainmaxs video from the Cuba where the lady explains, Combustion, aroma, strength. that did give me more of a reason to possibly agree with what he was explaining on the pod cast.

I have never had a CC but I have heard others parrot what Dave had explained from the smokers who are not enamored by CC just because it is a CC.

anywho :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have never had a CC...
All of the Cuban cigars that I've smoked over the decades, purchased in different countries and in different years exhibited distinctive tastes and aromas unique to each brand. They all had a distinguishing "Cuban" quality to them, but different brands were different, and consistently different. Since I was in junior high at the start of the embargo, these were all cigars made under the current government.

Now, about 6 whole days in Cuba.... That's long enough to say that you've been there, but hardly a major investigative endeavor.

Bob

Gdaddy

Now, about 6 whole days in Cuba.... That's long enough to say that you've been there, but hardly a major investigative endeavor.
Bob

This is true, however, the majority of people who are hating on Dave have never been to Cuba at all. So his insight is better than most.

I've had many Cubans over the years and never had one I didn't like but Dave is entitled to his opinion.

One other point... people talk about how government can't do anything right much less a communist government. Be reminded that Cuban cigars are communist government issue. So I do wonder about quality control.

JOE1977

One other point... people talk about how government can't do anything right much less a communist government. Be reminded that Cuban cigars are communist government issue. So I do wonder about quality control.

I completely agree with this, if the people have no reason other than self pride, what do they have to gain? They are all paid $30 per month. No incentive to make maybe $40 if they roll more or better.

Personally this in no way deters me from wanting to try a Behike. Nor will it stop me from trying them once/if legal here.Again, personally I think the embargo should stand until ....., but that's a whole other thread that I am sure the mods don't want.
I myself enjoyed the podcast and did not read the article. but it sounds like to me some things may of been lost in translation for those who did not listen but read it as you cannot pick up the tone in the article.

I believe it was sincere and no other alterior motive other than convening his experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIY Pete

I only listened to the first hour of the pod cast before I had to shut it off. I found it to be long winded, get to the point already. I will only comment on one point in particular. He repeatedly states that most of the cigars he smoked were under filled. I have smoked 200-300 CC and have never had an under filled one. These have ranged many different brands and sizes and include date codes from 96 thru current production. I have had a few so over filled that they wouldn't draw but never an under filled one. So I will take his opinions with a large grain of salt.

I have had many NCC that have been way under filled including some of the big names Tat., D.E., & A.F.

Pete

DIY Pete

That's my experience as well. They seem to have double binders, and are solid as a chair rung.

Bob

I had a couple Cohiba Siglo III's that you could have used as tent pegs. I got out my power drill with my extra long bit and ran the cigars through. Worked ok to loosen them up. I like using a drill because it removes some tobacco.

Pete

Birage

I have a large humidor with CCs, and the biggest problem I have with any of them is that they are over-filled, which obviously affects the draw, and ranges from annoying to getting filed in the circular file! I tend to believe, through my own experience, that all cigars from most anywhere are not quite what they use to be, for whatever reason. Whether you love or hate CCs, I still feel they are overpriced in relationship to their quality, having said that, it is possible that I haven't found what really turns me on yet.

MarcL

They went back to Cuba last week.

http://thecigarauthority.com/trip-cuba-mr-jonathans-eyes/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-bqnQYTtA

Prefix from article;

"There is way too much debate over whether or not Cuban cigars are the best cigars on the global market. This essay will not be attempting to sway you one way or another. There is more bullshit in the cigar industry than in almost any other industry. Can anyone really argue that this $6 cigar they paid $80 for is better than that $30 cigar you paid $6 for? In the end if you are bragging about what you smoke you are missing the point of this art form. You must make up your mind based on the value you believe you are getting and not on the status you think you are buying."

MarcL

They went back to Cuba last week.

http://thecigarauthority.com/trip-cuba-mr-jonathans-eyes/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-bqnQYTtA

Prefix from article;

"There is way too much debate over whether or not Cuban cigars are the best cigars on the global market. This essay will not be attempting to sway you one way or another. There is more bullshit in the cigar industry than in almost any other industry. Can anyone really argue that this $6 cigar they paid $80 for is better than that $30 cigar you paid $6 for? In the end if you are bragging about what you smoke you are missing the point of this art form. You must make up your mind based on the value you believe you are getting and not on the status you think you are buying."

I failed to mention the first link is to the article with pictures and, the second link is to this past show on youtube. . 2 hours long.

Status
Not open for further replies.