Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

members' leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Knucklehead went down to the store and bought a big box of zip lock bags. Then he sent them all to me:

knucksleaves.jpg

Thanks a million, Knucklehead. As a matter of fact, I happened to need a new batch of zip locks, so this supply comes just in time.

Just one problem: In order to re-use these zip locks, I will need to empty out the leaves which he used as packing material to fluff out his bags. These leaves are labeled such as:

corojo cuban seed filler
remedios seco filler
brazil dunkel wrapper
aleman oscuro wrapper
PI 404935
PA broadleaf seco
Aleman ligero filler
Swarr viso filler
hacienda de cura seco filler
Columbian garcia
little Cuba viso filler
criollo filler
Havana 211 binder

What do I do with all this dunnage? At first, I had no clue. Then an Indian Motorcycle friend dropped by yesterday, smelt one of these bags, and said: "Mmmm ... nutmeg!". Now, nutmeg being one of my favorite cigar flavors, I thought I might try rolling a cigar or two with these leaves. You think that might have a chance to work?

The Aleman is going to First Warrior. He'll roll them. The rest, I mostly have no clue. I would not know how to distinguish Private Eye # 404935 from Private Eye # 404934. I Swarr at viso, behind his back. I did meet Columbian Garcia hanging round the parking lot of the Home Depot in Riverside looking for odd jobs. Had a friend who vacationed in little cuba. I hate to think what that wily inquisition priest did to become rich enough to buy an estate. Remedios seco -- you stock a whole lot of that, do you Don?

I tried one: I cribbed deluxe's idea, throwing a touch of habano 2000 in with knuck's criollo. Very pleasant and mild. Dry, like Bob says, excellent burn, with a hint of straw flavor to it, like you might get from a claro wrapper. As though you took the bread and cedar of a criollo filler and muted it down to where you wanted to smoke one after another.

What should I do with the rest? Looking for ideas here. What should I blend with the Brazil dunkel; or should I stick to dunkel donut? I'm confused. Anybody know these varieties (deluxe?)...

kullas

Looks good. If you are having trouble finding something to do with all that I would help ya turn it into smoke :)

waikikigun

Are you sure all that Myristica fragrans padding didn't get lost in the mail?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
coroja cuban seed filler: creamy, leather
remedios seco filler: primitive; edgy like San Vicente
brazil dunkel wrapper: mild-to-medium strength. Blends well with most fillers.
aleman oscuro wrapper: you already know
PI 404935: can't find my notes
PA broadleaf seco: wrapper, binder or mild filler
Aleman ligero filler: you already know
Swarr viso filler: nice medium blender
hacienda de cura seco filler: from Canary Islands; good burning, slightly edgy, mild flavor filler
Columbian Garcia: mild, smooth, slightly spicy filler (I really like this)
little Cuba viso filler: primitive; edgy, medium-strength filler
criollo filler: earthy, medium strength filler
Havana 211 binder: no knowledge

Some of those, no doubt, will dispel your skepticism regarding home-grown cigar leaf. While I have never seen the point in casting tobacco pearls before home-growing dismissers (no offense), Knucklehead has the courage of a true evangelist.

Bob

Smokin Buffalo

I'm hoping to try a few of my own next year. But seeing that I am just getting into rolling, one thing at a time. These look amazing. Knucklehead, Please preach the goodness of those that deserve it. That way I'll know what to grow when that time comes.

deluxstogie, you must have quite the large crop. How long do you let your tobacco age?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
deluxstogie, you must have quite the large crop. How long do you let your tobacco age?
Modest size crop. I allow it to color-cure in the shed, then it waits its turn going into the kiln (~125ºF, ~75% RH) for a month. After a brief rest, it's ready to roll.

Bob

EDIT: If you decide to grow your own, plan now, start seed in late February to early March, transplant after last frost date. Harvest in late summer; hang it to color-cure (usually a few weeks), then put it into your newly built kiln for a month. Start planning now; smoke it by Thanksgiving, a year from now.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Modest size crop. I allow it to color-cure in the shed, then it waits its turn going into the kiln (~125ºF, ~75% RH) for a month. After a brief rest, it's ready to roll.

Bob

EDIT: If you decide to grow your own, plan now, start seed in late February to early March, transplant after last frost date. Harvest in late summer; hang it to color-cure (usually a few weeks), then put it into your newly built kiln for a month. Start planning now; smoke it by Thanksgiving, a year from now.

Bob

So it is written ....so it shall be done ...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Received a batch of ceegars from Webmost couple of days ago. Took me awhile to get the camera and cigars in the same room. Thank you very much. Sample time! Some MD 609 in the background.

webmost cigars.JPG

webmost

Received a batch of ceegars from Webmost couple of days ago. Took me awhile to get the camera and cigars in the same room. Thank you very much. Sample time! Some MD 609 in the background.

View attachment 16680

Schidt. Thirteen is an unlucky number. Didn't realize I'd done that. Shoulda stuffed another baggie in the box instead of the bag of cookies. Hope you like those unbanded Auroras ... I love 'em.

Hey, just so you know, I'm not ignoring your leaves -- just putting the project off. my molar woes returned with a vengeance. Was sposed to get it yanked last month, but on that day Bearswatter had a medical emergency so I had to play the white knight instead. Re-scheduled to get it yanked here the 17th. Meanwhile my taster is fouled by purulent and mephitic sanguineous exudate (stinky bloody pus, for any laymen in the crowd). Now that I know this is sposed to be a test to convert the home grow skeptic, I want to give these beautiful leaves which you produced with meticulous labor and love a fair shake, dontcha know.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Schidt. Thirteen is an unlucky number. Didn't realize I'd done that. Shoulda stuffed another baggie in the box instead of the bag of cookies. Hope you like those unbanded Auroras ... I love 'em.

Hey, just so you know, I'm not ignoring your leaves -- just putting the project off. my molar woes returned with a vengeance. Was sposed to get it yanked last month, but on that day Bearswatter had a medical emergency so I had to play the white knight instead. Re-scheduled to get it yanked here the 17th. Meanwhile my taster is fouled by purulent and mephitic sanguineous exudate (stinky bloody pus, for any laymen in the crowd). Now that I know this is sposed to be a test to convert the home grow skeptic, I want to give these beautiful leaves which you produced with meticulous labor and love a fair shake, dontcha know.

Na, you sent fourteen. I spaced the unbanded Auroras every other cigar for the photo and left the odd man out of the picture. I was wondering what those were, I was thinking maybe Smithdale.
Hope you get your toothache fixed soon. That crap hurts.

webmost

Na, you sent fourteen. I spaced the unbanded Auroras every other cigar for the photo and left the odd man out of the picture. I was wondering what those were, I was thinking maybe Smithdale.
Hope you get your toothache fixed soon. That crap hurts.

Not a bit of hurt. That's the odd thing. Had a root canal years ago, killed the nerve, zero pain. But now the root has cracked. Got joims livin in the crack and crappin in the jaw. Still chews good and feels fine. Strong seat. Oozy, is all. That, and it tastes real foul.

I'll send you some of FX Smith's Smithdales if you want. Maduro, natural, or shade, you name it. I am heading to the factory Saturday morning, in fact. It's a grand motorcycle ride thru some of the best countryside that PA and MD have to offer... Love that ride. Factory owner has a race car I'd like to see. Any slender excuse for a ride thru the country. Besides, there's a real nice barbecue stop on the way back, in the parking lot of the firehouse, in a village called Fawn Grove.

ah, life is such a fine business to be in!

webmost

Well, fellers, we're pulling nigh, now. I get the obnoxious stinker tooth yanked day after tomorrow. Couple three days to heal a bit, then I ought to be in good taste test form sometime next week. It's hell to get so old that you have to jettison parts. I've eaten my way through a couple herds of steak with this tooth; not to speak of several sounders of sausage and a passel of pork roast. I hate to see him go. Why, the corn nuts alone that he has ground down over the years... wow.

In the meantime, I asked Craig Smith at FX Smith's to send me a hand of the CT shade wrapper he uses. It arrived this afternoon. Take a gander at this beautiful stuff:

FXshade.jpg

Is that some super sotweed, or what? I got it cause I figured there's nothing more mild I could bind and wrap our brother's home grown leaf in that would let the true flavor come right through. I tell you, you have to see this leaf to believe it. Soft, supple, delicate, flexible. Smells just like Amish country, too.

I just know I'm gonna love this next month, rolling and smoking. Mmm mmm mmp!

Status
Not open for further replies.