Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Box Press super easy mold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

An inexpensive, super easy project and I'm surprised how well it worked. Professional quality if you press over night with the wrapper on. I intentionally made it rectangular instead of square like a Padron. Made from scrap wood and hand tools. These molds could be easily glued together to create as many slots as you'd like. I prefer to leave them as individual molds and use a small hand clamp on each one. If I only want to make a couple of sticks it makes it a bit less cumbersome to use as singles. The photo shows an equivalent of a toro size of 52 ring.

Here's the first one. I did a pig tail but a cap would be as easy as round. Tip: after the initial press and you're ready to apply the wrapper I use a pair of sharp scissors and quickly trim the slight round shape of the head so it's not perfectly square for a nice finished look.

box press 3.jpg

box press 2.jpg

Box press.jpg

Gdaddy

Straightforward design. How is the wood attached?

Bob

Wood glue and clamped. The base is 1/2" oak the sides are glued to. No need for brads or nails or screws. The square press block in the lid is 3/4" but it could be any size you want.

I had an idea to use removable shims/spacers for different size cigars. One box fits all.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
The inside of your mold looks perfectly square..

Shouldn't it be oval shaped to make the cigar round?

Smokin Harley

An inexpensive, super easy project and I'm surprised how well it worked. Professional quality if you press over night with the wrapper on. I intentionally made it rectangular instead of square like a Padron. Made from scrap wood and hand tools. These molds could be easily glued together to create as many slots as you'd like. I prefer to leave them as individual molds and use a small hand clamp on each one. If I only want to make a couple of sticks it makes it a bit less cumbersome to use as singles. The photo shows an equivalent of a toro size of 52 ring.

Here's the first one. I did a pig tail but a cap would be as easy as round. Tip: after the initial press and you're ready to apply the wrapper I use a pair of sharp scissors and quickly trim the slight round shape of the head so it's not perfectly square for a nice finished look.

View attachment 16658

View attachment 16659

View attachment 16660

Thats awesome , I love a box pressed . and you're right on with the rectangular shape...its just more comfortable. nice , nice ,nice.

Gdaddy

The inside of your mold looks perfectly square..

Shouldn't it be oval shaped to make the cigar round?

It is rectangular. I roll the bunch round by hand and then 'box press'. The idea is to get a soft rectangular shape. Look at a Padron.

box-press.jpg

Gdaddy

Nice job Gdaddy !!
How long did you press it ?

This is the key to getting it right.

I roll the cigar like I'm making a normal round standard roll. Then, push the round bunch into the mold and hard press for about and hour or two. I use the same amount of tobacco for a round toro as I do the square press. Remove the cigar from the mold (I use a flat knife to lift it out) and then apply the wrapper. Back into the mold for a 'soft press'.

Warning: if, after wrapping, you hard press the cigar over night it will come out too square and sharp edged. I press the cigar 'lightly' to get a little softer shape. Leave it over night clamped with light pressure. After one or two rolls you'll be producing beautiful pressed cigars. I also suggest a rectangular shape not square. If you take the cigar out too early it will want to go back to round.

I roll a few before bed and the next morning my babies are ready to be born!!

Gdaddy

Thats awesome , I love a box pressed . and you're right on with the rectangular shape...its just more comfortable. nice , nice ,nice.

Me too!

I love the way a box press lancero feels. That's next. Going to make some spacers to create a lancero without making a completely new mold.

waikikigun

Very nice job.

If I could replicate any cigar shape, it would be the Montecristo #4, possibly my all-time fave.

Gdaddy

Very nice job.

If I could replicate any cigar shape, it would be the Montecristo #4, possibly my all-time fave.

This press will easily do a soft box press to achieve that shape. Easy peazy. It's up to you how hard you want it pressed.

I see you doing some handsome lanceros.

BTW... caps or pig tails are done the same way. Just trim the shape of the head before final wrapper.

waikikigun

What're your thoughts on how I'd replicate this cap shape coming off the pressed body? Just trimming with scissors? Or could a shape like that be built into one end of the mold? I guess it's just sort of four planes inflected inward making the base of a pyramid shape....

1280px-MonteCristo_Cigar.jpg

Gdaddy

What're your thoughts on how I'd replicate this cap shape coming off the pressed body? Just trimming with scissors? Or could a shape like that be built into one end of the mold? I guess it's just sort of four planes inflected inward making the base of a pyramid shape....

View attachment 16671

Would be very easy to simply glue in very short wedges on all 4 sides of the head of the mold. I had thought about that and may still do exactly that.(probably tonight) :) Try to make sure it is a seamless transition and perfectly smooth .

waikikigun

I would love to see your version of that since I can't quite imagine how I'd go about it, in terms of mounting the wedges to the two halves of the head.

Funny thing is, I don't have zillions of cigars in my humi, but many of what I do have have squarish shapes. Norteno Coronitas, Jericho Hill coronas, some Eiroa Pesetas, and some Ezra Zion Tantrums. All boxy. The EZ, if I cut its length down, would essentially resemble a slightly fat maduro Monte #4.

Gdaddy

I would love to see your version of that since I can't quite imagine how I'd go about it, in terms of mounting the wedges to the two halves of the head.

Tonight you'll have some photos. I already have the wedges ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.