Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Box Press super easy mold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOE1977

Well done Gdaddy! When things slow down a bit I am going to try making a mold with the router and av groove bit.

Gdaddy

I would love to see your version of that since I can't quite imagine how I'd go about it, in terms of mounting the wedges to the two halves of the head.

Funny thing is, I don't have zillions of cigars in my humi, but many of what I do have have squarish shapes. Norteno Coronitas, Jericho Hill coronas, some Eiroa Pesetas, and some Ezra Zion Tantrums. All boxy. The EZ, if I cut its length down, would essentially resemble a slightly fat maduro Monte #4.

Hope you can understand this. Took about an hour to fit the wedges since they're pretty small. (They are under 1/4 inch thick at the thickest part.) Will press out a cigar tomorrow and see how well it works.

The bottom photo is looking at the head of the cigar press from the outside. You should clearly see the taper to the head of the cigar with the addition of the wedges in the top photo.

Box press 4.jpg

box press 5.jpg

waikikigun

That's amazing. I actually can grasp what's going on there, after staring at it and meditating on it for a few minutes. I might find it really hard to accomplish myself, but I might give it a try....

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting solution. The issue I see with the added wedges is that the previously free-floating lid, which would telescope to any thickness that would fit within the mold, is now restricted. The lid will bottom-out on the side wedges for a skinny bunch, or create gull wings on the head for a too fat bunch. Not a problem when pressing the planned cigar dimensions.

I suppose the only way to adapt to any cigar that would fit into the mold would be to have the side wedges extend to the top edge of each side, and the lid plunger be tapered at the head for its entire depth, to match the lid wedge.

Bob

TravisNTexas

Interesting solution. The issue I see with the added wedges is that the previously free-floating lid, which would telescope to any thickness that would fit within the mold, is now restricted. The lid will bottom-out on the side wedges for a skinny bunch, or create gull wings on the head for a too fat bunch. Not a problem when pressing the planned cigar dimensions.

I suppose the only way to adapt to any cigar that would fit into the mold would be to have the side wedges extend to the top edge of each side, and the lid plunger be tapered at the head for its entire depth, to match the lid wedge.

Bob

Good solution. It almost is that way already. It should be easy to trim the top to clear the extended height of the side wedges!

Gdaddy

Bob

Agreed.

I think the easiest might be simply trimming with scissors to shape the head and leave the box straight edged. It really doesn't need a lot of trimming either. You just want to take the edge off. This leaves the door open for shims and spacers for different size cigars out of the same box. As you point out, an open box also allows for compensating a fat or skinny bunch.

Gdaddy

What're your thoughts on how I'd replicate this cap shape coming off the pressed body? Just trimming with scissors? Or could a shape like that be built into one end of the mold? I guess it's just sort of four planes inflected inward making the base of a pyramid shape....

View attachment 16671

The wedges worked quite well... "four planes inflected inward"

You could trim off as much of the head as you like. Just as easy to roll as a round.

I had a Monte label I put on just to dress it up. Note: the edges are a bit softer on the bottom cigar due to a shorter press time.

box cigar6.jpg

Box cigar.JPG

charlie G.

I looked in the wood bin and I had a piece of shelving 12in X 10in, I cut it and glued it up in a square mold shape as Gdaddy did. I have a rolled bunch in it now to see how it comes out.
I think like was said I'll just use scissors or something to round the tip a little before wrapping. I have my fingers crossed it works as was planed.
Thanks G for the pictures and motivation to give this a try.

waikikigun

Holy crap, Gangsterdaddy, that's killer! Amazing job.

A great thing about doing square molds, I reckon, is they're a heck of a lot easier to make than round ones without any fancy tools.

I wish I could understand how you made it. And that I had some tools....

You could trim off as much of the head as you like. Just as easy to roll as a round.

I had a Monte label I put on just to dress it up. Note: the edges are a bit softer on the bottom cigar due to a shorter press time.

View attachment 16682

View attachment 16683

Gdaddy

Holy crap, Gangsterdaddy, that's killer! Amazing job.

A great thing about doing square molds, I reckon, is they're a heck of a lot easier to make than round ones without any fancy tools.

I wish I could understand how you made it. And that I had some tools....

I made the entire project using just a fine bladed hack saw and some wood glue. Oh... and a pencil.

It turns out a cigar MUCH better than I had expected. The amount of pressure of the press is also controllable. Well worth the three hours I spent making it. :)

waikikigun

All right. I'll get me a saw, some wood, and some glue. Seems like you must have had a table and a clamp, too... and maybe some sandpaper for those wedges?

Gdaddy

All right. I'll get me a saw, some wood, and some glue. Seems like you must have had a table and a clamp, too... and maybe some sandpaper for those wedges?

Ahhh now you're starting to think about it.

A clamp or vice is nice but not mandatory.

At Home Depot they sell for $3 the square wooden piece which is the entire foundation for your measurements. Choose that first. I went with a 3/4" square. They also have one slightly smaller I think it's 5/8".

Step #1.

I cut a piece of 3/4" square stock 7" long. Now, make a box to slide it into. Use the square stock as a spacer and glue some sides to a base and create a box to put it in.
The square stock should slide perfectly in and out. (wood glue needed around $1.29)

Step #2. Relax. You can now roll a cigar and use this as a mold.

I did glue the 3/4" square stock to a lid which acts as a stop for the depth. This is optional but if you use a lid you must determine how high to make the sides so when the lid is on there is a rectangular space where the cigar will be pressed.

The wedges are also optional but I'm glad I spent the hour to make them.

Plans for you...

plans.jpg

waikikigun

Thanks.

I don't consider the wedges optional. :D

Going out of town tomorrow for a few days then will hit Home Despot. Did you notice any "square dowels" narrower than 3/4? Like 5/8?

Smokin Harley

View attachment 16682

View attachment 16683
Gdaddy , that is one beautiful box press cigar. Almost too pretty to smoke.

As much as I like a box press stick...I may have to make up a couple box moulds like that myself.

Smokin Harley

Ahhh now you're starting to think about it.

A clamp or vice is nice but not mandatory.

At Home Depot they sell for $3 the square wooden piece which is the entire foundation for your measurements. Choose that first. I went with a 3/4" square. They also have one slightly smaller I think it's 5/8".

Step #1.

I cut a piece of 3/4" square stock 7" long. Now, make a box to slide it into. Use the square stock as a spacer and glue some sides to a base and create a box to put it in.
The square stock should slide perfectly in and out. (wood glue needed around $1.29)

Step #2. Relax. You can now roll a cigar and use this as a mold.

I did glue the 3/4" square stock to a lid which acts as a stop for the depth. This is optional but if you use a lid you must determine how high to make the sides so when the lid is on there is a rectangular space where the cigar will be pressed.

The wedges are also optional but I'm glad I spent the hour to make them.

Plans for you...

View attachment 16684
Nice technical drawing

charlie G.

Gdaddy you got me going. I built a mold last night and pressed a bunch over night. I didn't use wedges on this first try just to see how the mold works.
I wrapped the bunch and have it back for a final shaping with the wrapper on. I just hope I can extract the finished cigar with out deforming it. I took your advice and used a butter knife to help get the bunch out of the mold. One thing I did learn, you really must figure out how large to make the bunch so it isn't to tight when put in the mold for shaping as it helps with the extraction of the shaped bunch and finished cigar.
I think a half day in the mold and will remove it tonight to see how things turned out. I know it won't come out as good as yours did. That is one sweet cigar you made.
Thanks for getting us all motivated to try this.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Guess what this 28 year old cigar box is going to become, with the help of a few shims.

Garden20140823_1477_CubaAliadosGeneralBox_700.jpg

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.