Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Box Press super easy mold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Gdaddy, that video about box pressing presents an interesting take on an explanation. The compressions of the filler, rather than the actual shape of the cigar cross-section. May be true.

My sense is that the square profile (square cross-section) alters the flow of air and heat within the cigar--a result of the flow turbulence characteristics of a square nozzle vs. a round nozzle, so that the tobacco is actually burning differently in a box-pressed cigar.

A similar effect seems to happen when smoking pipe tobacco that is packed into the pipe as slightly broken or folded coins, compared to a uniform shred. The burn is slower, and the flavor seems more full.

I'm just guessing at this.

Bob

charlie G.

Do you know how to make an oval cigar like the San Lotano Oval? I absolutely love how that fits my mouth. Such a natural fit!

I'm not sure how it would work out but if you took a piece of clear tubing and cut it in half lengthwise. You could cut the edges to fit into each other to make a smooth seam. The tube could be slipped into a square mold to make it into an oval shape. It's all trial and error till you get it just right SB.

Ben Brand

Tried to box press some cigars. They came out nicely (pressed). How long am i suppose to keep them in the mold. I smoked one last night, but by the time I finished it, it was round again. Only kept it pressed for 2 days.

MarcL

Tried to box press some cigars. They came out nicely (pressed). How long am i suppose to keep them in the mold. I smoked one last night, but by the time I finished it, it was round again. Only kept it pressed for 2 days.

You could have let it set up longer but, all box pressed smokes will give in some to the expansion that burning leaf brings. so it's normal.

juan carlos

i do a lot of these, in a square home made mold, 5/8" x 5/8". i use the binder in the highest case. leave them bound in the mold for 2-4 hours, them flip them over and leave them anoth 20-22hours. if i don't flip the sticks will get two round corners and two sharp corners.
when the bound sticks are fairly dry and firm i wrap gently (so as to not round them) in highest case but not damp...then put them all in a box and add the pressure of one cigar. (fill the box and then crush in one additional cigar for pressure) every 24 hours i give them 1/4 turn in the drying box until dry...usually 5-7 days, then to the humi. they will retain shape and even make a square ash.
when is it time to take them out of the drying box? squeeze them gently and listen for a subtle bit of a crackle, no noise, not dry enough...and they will round out.

Jet

Bumping old thread

I used Danish oil as a finish to my press. What are you guys doing to reduce the cigars from sticking to the mold during the wrapper phase? I'm thinking of sanding the contact points to reduce friction when I get home. Looking for further suggestions as well

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I don't do anything. I press for an hour or two then rotate the cigars and press for another few hours. If your cigars are sticking you might be making your wrapper too wet. How long are you pressing?

Jet

Im definitely over wetting these wrappers. The veins are so large, requiring almost a soak to soften them.

im doing an hour in the binder, flip for an hour, wrap, and repress overnight. When adding the wrapper, there's not much space for me to reinsert the bunch back in to the mold, so I'm squishing them into the mold when wrapped

Gdaddy

Danish oil? That's a new one. How's that taste?

I just press them over night or even a few days. They dry out while in the mold and pop right out. A flat bladed butter knife slid under the cigar helps to free it upward and out of the mold.

Jet

Maybe I needed to let them dry more. I've sanded the finish anyhow, so that should alleviate some of the friction

The Danish oil scent dries and dies off pretty quickly. Cures in about 8-10 hours and doesn't smell after 24

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With a wood mold, I would be concerned about Danish oil preventing a cigar bunch from drying in the mold. With your polymer mold, it probably already is impermeable to water, so the Danish oil shouldn't make a difference with respect to the bunch drying. On the other hand, the waterproof nature of the un-coated mold may be why the bunch is sticking--it can't easily dry out.

Bob

Buzz

I know this is an old thread but can someone offer some advise to box pressing cigars. I’ve been rolling for about a year now and I use a 52g mold. I would like to try box pressing cigars but I have no idea where to start. All advise welcome. Thank you

GreenDragon

For best results you should apply low pressure over several days to a week to gently change the shape of the cigar. If you use too much pressure you will get sharp corners which you don't want.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Plan B: Lay the finished cigar onto your kitchen counter. Place a wood cutting board (or a plank of plastic or a flat-bottomed dish) on top of it. Use strategically placed objects (clothespins, etc.) at the four corners to keep it level. Add a well-centered, modest weight. Recheck in 24 hours.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.