Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rolling ledgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAGraphics

So, I have started rolling and smoking some while putting others aside to dry and age. I am trying different mixtures of filler leaf, number of leaves, ratios of Seco to Viso and or Ligero, etc, multiple binders and the like. I have about 25 sticks in various wrappers and bunched with various methods. I'm really enjoying myself but NEED to slow down and get a bit organized and create a method of recording what is what. Which ones did I roll using the new mold I just got from eBay and which did I roll into newspaper and pop in the dehydrator to dry out before wrapping etc.

With all of that said, I would like to hear what others are doing to create a ledger or genesis of each stick so that they can reproduce the blend/size/style of sticks that work. At the moment I have 3x5 cards with the details of each but want to know how others record their creation's conception.

What information is in your ledger?
How many of each "version" do you roll and when do you try them?
Am I over thinking this?

My girlfriend is my partner in crime in all things cigars as we run cigar socials together for couples and she is rolling besides me so I will most likely double what others do in way of samples etc.

Thanks for your help in advance...

Bruce

Smokin Harley

Nice that your girlfriend shares your hobby. Cigar socials , what a great idea. Where do you live?
I used to roll about 3 sticks at a time when I tried a new blend . If I didn't have a mould I used the newspaper method( no dehydrator, the newspaper sucks up quite a bit of moisture as is) ,I still use newspaper when I want a nice big fat stick like a 4 x 64 . Recently I purchased a vintage mould from WLT and I'll tell you if you ever get a chance to get one , please do so , it helps get a feel for how much leaf needs to go in a stick and be consistent...I usually roll 5 at a time but last week I rolled enough to fill a whole 7 x 50 parejo mould ...10 sticks.
What I do is I keep a pad of paper by the computer and write down a blend I'd like to try ,roll one or two ,with different wrappers and I'll tweak it to my own preference.
Go over to the "members blends" folder and look through those. What I have done is copy and paste each one of those those to an offline document file that I keep each member and their blends separated . I plan on printing out to keep somewhat of a work in progress catalog at the rolling table. Find a few you like in that folder and try some. Keep track of who posted those and eventually you will find yourself a FTT rolling buddy or two who most likely has the same taste as you. Then you can go to that person and see what they are doing new and what leaf blends well with others. Eventually you will get the feel or a virtual taste and you'll know or have a good idea what will taste good and go well with another leaf blend. I see you're new and with 5 posts...belated welcome to FTT .
SH

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
If I rolled cigars I sure would keep a ledger..there's so many hundreds of combinations...you'd be wise to keep some rolling records.

Smokin Harley

BAGraphics, if you would please, fill out your profile info so we can be of more help . You may in fact be very close to another member or two.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I wing it. :rolleyes: But I've seen some really nice cigar bands made by members here. They range from simple white paper with the blend or a blend code on the band to some really nice, commercial looking bands that may vary with each blend. Check out Smokin Harley's avatar, that's also one of his cigar bands. Ben Brand has some great looking bands. Some of these guys are really talented.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For myself, I blend cigars with the same approach I take to cooking.

"It needs a little more deep foundation--add Little Dutch."
"Maybe a bit more combustion--add volado."
"The tasty wrapper doesn't burn well--use a thin, highly combustible binder."

Of the 10,000ish cigars that I've rolled, I've recorded very few blends. As I become more proficient at blending on the fly, I lose my ability to actually say how I make blending decisions. They just happen. The more cigars you roll, the less you need to document any but the most spectacular.

For a cigar social gathering, a specific blend or small number of specific blends makes sense. If you make up a sufficient number of bound bunches for a single event, then allow them to rest a bit in an "extra" mold, the process of bunching and binding at the event is just theater for later use, while the handouts are wrapped fresh from the rested bunches--and can be smoked immediately.

All that matters, once you have identified blends to hand out, is color, strength, and a brief tasting note.

Bob

MarcL

I thought at some point I would write stuff down but, I haven't yet. I'll just think of something and go.

rustycase

I did NOT keep a suitable record of blending ... and wish I had done so.
Best I have done is move something to the back of storage if I did not care for it so much.
Hopefully age will improve it.
rc

charlie G.

Welcome Bruce and also a welcome to your better half.
I usto never keep notes on blends but missed out on duplicating some great cigars.
As of now I write my blends down in a composition note book. I am a computer dummy so I don't know how to record a list on my my computer. Or make a spreadsheet to print out.
I basically just record a date rolled, blend bunch fillers, binder, and wrapper. Then if I really like the cigar I make a few notes. If I don't like the cigar I note that it sucked.
Some times I just wing it tho as some others do as I'm the only one smoking it. I have had very few duds tho using WLT tobacco. As Don gets in some great tobacco.
That is a god idea on the cigar socials, a good why to trade blends and good cigars.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I really don't do a lot of complicated blends. My two favorite cigars from Don's leaf is all Nicaraguan filler with Maduro wrapper and all Dominican filler with Besuki wrapper. I smoke more of those than any other. Sometimes I'll play around with blending but not that often. I smoke 4-5 cigarettes a day and only smoke cigars and pipe on occasions.

Raodwarior

I still write down every blend I make, otherwise I would forget by morning. Now there are a few I will never look at again but they cant all be winners.

LewZephyr

I keep notes for blends and variations as well as my pipe tobacco notes in OneNote by Microsoft. (free as well).
I can see my notes on both my PC and my phone since I have the app synced with the cloud.

I have to say though, I keep notes for everything in there.
Stuff for work, shopping lists, family notes (size of clothing for my kids etc).

I still write down every blend I make, otherwise I would forget by morning. Now there are a few I will never look at again but they cant all be winners.

But those notes on the non-winners will keep you from making similar mistakes. And I also would forget by morning... heck I forget after an hour.

BAGraphics

I keep notes for blends and variations as well as my pipe tobacco notes in OneNote by Microsoft. (free as well).
I can see my notes on both my PC and my phone since I have the app synced with the cloud.

But those notes on the non-winners will keep you from making similar mistakes. And I also would forget by morning... heck I forget after an hour.

Just downloaded OneNote for my Mac, iPad and iPhone, and uploaded the ledger I have created. Hell, I just forgot what was in the last cigar I just rolled!

TravisNTexas

I pretty much am keeping all things cigar in one big excel file. It started as a file I was using to compare prices on CigarBid to other online prices. Then I added a sheet with cigar acronyms I was learning. The a page with a ring to drill bit size table. Then a page of blends you guys recommend that I want to try. Then a new page with the details and component weights of the Terroso Profundo and Azucarodo Oscuro kits I got. Then a page with tools/supplies that I needed to get together before the kits arrived. And finally notes on what I am doing with those kits now that I have them! It's a tad too much in one file I think, but at least I know where everything is!

What I really need is a method of labeling so I can age a few and still know what they are later. I guess I'll start looking into that :)

juan carlos

there is this beer labelizer program, you can whip up nice labels for your home brew.

someone (smarter than me) needs to make a program that will print labels with blends and ring sizes and such so you can just type in your particulars, add your logo and hit print...cut them out and glue them on...does this exist somewhere already and i have not found it yet?

waikikigun

I keep a detailed Excel spreadsheet of everything. Columns for Name, Binder, Wrapper, Filler, Notes. Notes gets added to as I smoke each stick from that batch, and things get color coded. Green = great, roll some more; red = this sucked, total failure. In the notes column I enter details each time I smoke one of those sticks along with the date I smoked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.