Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kiwikeg's 2015 NZ Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwikeg

Being that today was the first day of spring I started the first of my seeds into Jiffy pots that are now in the hot water cupboard.

N.Rustica Rapanui
Keller
Pennsylvania Broadleaf
Dutch Ohio
Turkish Izmir
Alida

I have others I want to grow but I am going to try to stagger the plantings as I have quite a long growing season here in auckland.
Also I am going to grow everything in pots this year as the size difference between the plants in the garden and those that were in pots last year was negligible.
Big thanks to everyone who has shared their seeds with me. I hope to be able to pay it forward also in future years.
Photos to follow once I get some green happening.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Sounds like a cigarette grow.

You growing to make what with these strains ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Ah, the southern Hemisphere grow season is here again. Football and watching your plants coming along makes my winter. Best of luck.

Kiwikeg

The Alida and keller are for the seed so I can pass it on. The N.Rustica Rapanui is because it looks interesting.
I am a pipe and cigar guy but most of my leaf went mouldy when it rained
My real winner from last season was the Yellow Twist Bud. I intend growing a lot of that this year but I plan on starting it later as it just sort of sat dormant all summer then burst upwards as the days grew shorter.
Wife liked the few cigarettes I made up for her so she wants more. Trouble is the pasta shredder wasn't a big success for cutting it up so I ended up using a kitchen knife which worked but was a little tedious.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My real winner from last season was the Yellow Twist Bud. I intend growing a lot of that this year but I plan on starting it later as it just sort of sat dormant all summer then burst upwards as the days grew shorter.

That's just the growth habit of Yellow Twist Bud. It does that for everybody. I would recommend starting and planting it at the same time as the other varieties. Planting later might just cut short it's growth period if cold weather sets in. (depending on where you live) The Curator of GRIN said the only tobacco varieties affected by a change of daylight length are the Mammoth named varieties. Shorter days don't trigger anything in the other varieties.

springheal

@kiwikeg. Where I am, the climate is nearly the same as where you are. Last year I grew yellow twist which was a disappointment for me. I did get some great leaf but not a heavy crop compared to other varieties I grew at the same time.
My crop this year is well on it's way in the garden. I have an easy year this year as I am only growing half what I usually do.
Have a great growing year bud!

Kiwikeg

Thanks. The ground is really dry this year. The N.rustica is suckering already. Alida and YTB are well established but the rest are struggling.

wrapper

Thanks. The ground is really dry this year. The N.rustica is suckering already. Alida and YTB are well established but the rest are struggling.

Rustica's main purpose in life seems to be sucker production; they really want to be a bush. I wonder what the total leaf weight/production would be if they were left un-suckered and allowed to be a bush... But they are fast growing and hardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.