Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

No Fuel, No Electric what do you do? A very Cool Steam Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

A project I have been working on the Green Steam Engine it works and is the real deal. I have done a lot of videos on this build using common tools to make the parts. This video is the completed engine running, now I need a boiler and generator. Will post more videos as I move along...

Last edited:

AmaxB

Thanks Bob but it is not mine I just made it per the plans the man who invented the drive is Mr. Robert Green. He sells 3 different models that are very slick & pretty. The plans he promotes are for what you see in my video, it is rated for up to 6HP and 1,200 rpms. You can see his engines if you search Google or YouTube - Green Steam Engine. The flex can be cured with another spacer block, I don't think it will be a problem.

happy holiday every one!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
A few years ago I almost bought a KW size steam engine from Mike Brown. He's the guy that also revived the Fish Carburetor back in the '80's. I thought it would be cool to burn trash and scrap wood and get electricity out of it. I decided it was too much hassle. I'd have to depend on my wife sometimes (when I was on travel) to check the pressures in the system.... maybe when I retire!

AmaxB

That is the intent for this engine to run a generator. Most people who have no grid tie use a fuel driven generator to top their batteries when the wind or sun can't keep up. Steam could be primary or backup for this purpose and the need for gas or diesel fuel would be gone. I've looked at Mike Brown's engines he wants twice the money and his engines are not as efficient. A 3hp 350 rpm engine will cost you 6,000 you can buy a Green Steam Engine 6hp 1,200 rpm for 2,700. Mr. Brown wants 400 for a mechanical water pump to feed the boiler, I can make one for the Green Steam Engine for 30 bucks.

I built this crude model of the Green Steam Engine to see if it is possible for the engine to preform as advertised and from what I'm seeing it will. So I will likely buy a 3 cylinder engine from Mr. Green at some point.

I went back and watched my video, if you were referring to the stem on the back of the cylinder Bob it is supposed to move like that, it's a ball joint.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
How do we access the other 16 videos? Do they show the start to finish build?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Wow, Amax. Your build is more impressive than video #17 lets on. I thought you had put it together from a kit or off the shelf components. That's some really good work doing what you did with the tools you had. Five stars.

AmaxB

Thank You Knuckelhead, I don't show every step but cover some of the more challenging parts to be made. Some of the videos with the jig for the 5/8 round stock that needs to be drill can be ignored if some one wants to make this engine. You don't need a jig if using square stock. Bought a Freedom II PMG generator today set up for belt drive, low RPM 12V / 24V high amp output, no cogging so it spins freely before cut in (making amps) and with near no resistance after cut in.
Cut in is some where around 50 to 90 RPMs so the little steam engine will turn it just fine and around 600 RPMs it will be putting out some real juice. I HOPE
There will be more videos to come...

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So it's set up to an air compressor now right? How do you get steam to go that route next? Something like a still setup minus the condenser where a kettle is boiling over a fire? Or am I way off?

AmaxB

So it's set up to an air compressor now right? How do you get steam to go that route next? Something like a still setup minus the condenser where a kettle is boiling over a fire? Or am I way off?

Well sort of, I'll be making a Mono Tube Boiler. There will be a water reservoir self filling from water source, water will be pumped from it via a maniacal pump on the steam engine to the boiler, the exhausted steam will return to the reservoir via a condenser. Excess power will be dumped into hot water or heater.

AmaxB

Using steam, how would you ensure a constant rpm at your pulley? pressure regulator on your boiler?
The RMP will not be true constant it will vary, regulating pressure should keep it fairly tight. The generator will produce wild AC (can use smaller diameter wire), the AC will be rectified ( first system component) to DC before going to the second component of the system the charge controller. The charge controller will maintain the battery bank and when the bank is topped off, divert the excess power to a dump load such as a hot water tank or other. In a system like this the RPMs do not need to be a true constant.

AmaxB

The boiler feed pump no electric needed.....
See video parts 20 & 21 for the eccentric bearing, what it is & how it goes together.

AmaxB

Oh my! I screwed the pooch...and the thing bit me, made a mistake tried using youtube video tools and didnot like the result. As a side effect it screwed this post up here, a feeble attempt to fix it.
Sorry
A video you may enjoy?

AmaxB

My wood burner this fire box is a small beast

After a little paint it became a better looking beast. Spent part of yesterday bending 1/2 inch copper tube to a coil of less then 8 inches in diameter, brazing with torch and 45% silver solder. I should finish the boiler today.

Status
Not open for further replies.