Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

finally got my tiller '' issues took care of ''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Yeah...that bcs is a tough looking tiller...but lets face it...its a up to date copy of the horse..

Rustycase. Post me the serial # and ill look up the date yours was made

rustycase

Hey Chicken... the number on my TroyBilt Horse is 00893240.
Tnx for looking up the year mfg!

This site has a fine explanation of belts, profiles, and sizes.

http://www.vbelts4less.com/V-Belt-Specs_ep_45.html

I have not yet purchased from them, but they are ready !

This is a video of one with a diesel re-power. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYD3-7eMIPk

Gosh ! I just don't like how an operator must tip the machine/inline engine way up when you are trying to work the tiller the hardest, digging deep as you can.
Also, the adjustable TroyBilt handles will go up, and down for height adjustment... for a tall or short person. But there is a permanent stop in that ratchet engagement, preventing it from going high enough for the deepest digging... probably some sort of preventative, so the engine can not be tilted too much, causing even more of the crankcase oil to run towards the drive side of the engine. I suppose the sump and splasher spoon are designed suitably by the OEM. Maybe not for a re-power.

I like these much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAPxg4GOO8s

They really go all in for advertising ! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRX4kQo7fCU

Here's one with a rotary tiller...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTty0m8PKs

I have no clue if they are even sold here in the states.

...actually, the BCS and Grillo are a totally different drive mechanism, but in the same form.

This is the one I would like to get if I win a lottery ticket.

chinatractor.jpg

Best
rc

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
looks like yours was made between dec-jan of 1988

i can post a link of this list if you want it.

those videos are insane....

i like the way they hand crank it to start it.... but in that nation i guess a pull cord wouldnt last long.. and youd wait forever for a new part,,,lol

rustycase

Thanks Chicken !
It's newer than I had thought...

Yah, they went over the top on those advertisements, didn't they! lol
They really work 'em in the rice paddies, and hitch 'em to large trailers and head into town. the rubber tired ones...

Dunno how much of problem it would be to get parts. I got a china tig welder that was DOA. I stopped my payment, and the vendor contacted me.
I told him the symptoms, he contacted the factory, and I had a new circuit board in about a week. That's pretty good !

The small orange one, with rubber tires is $450US from the vendor, and they Will sell 1 single unit for that price, FOB guangdong port. From there, I would pay the freight... About $2500 . then offloading cost, customs, and freight from our port to my house.
When is a deal, not a deal ?

Yes, I'd be happier to buy something with an established dealer network.
Heck, I wish I could afford a USA made tractor!

Best
rc

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well im having belt issues. i may stop by today and have O'REILLY'S car parts order me 2,,,,, 21 1/2'' belts and see how they do. im not going any further on ordering anything until i get this thing to till deep without slipping the belts.

if that dont work im gonna throw it in the shop.. and have them call me when its 100 %

my uncle has one of these tillers dismanteled at his house... he's a junk hoarder and to my knowledge has never had a garden.. but will he come off it is another question. i believe i remember seeing it had the ag tires i want... last time i seen it i just glanced it over and reconized it for what it was.

now that i got one. im more intrested in what he has, because even the smallest part to this thing on line is expensive

i may continue to order stuff for it because i know eventually its gonna be 100%

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If your belts are slipping they are too big. I believe you have 22" on there now? Going to 22 1/2 will make things worse. If a belt is too tight it'll start smoking, not slip. The other possibility for a slipping belt is that the machine is so old the pulley groove is worn out OR there is so much glaze in the V of the pulley that it is making the belts slip. Take off your belts and run some sand paper all the way around the pulley groove, then use some degreaser ( like starting fluid) to remove any oils.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Thanks for that advice..because today i plan on taking off the slipping belts...ill sand and clean the pulley..and put on the old belts and see what i got...

rustycase

lol
My belt started slipping again, a few days ago... so I lowered the belt adjustment ramp far as it can possibly go... can't get a box end wrench on the head of the bolt! It must be time for a new belt.

Deep tilling? Not really. In my dirt... best I can get in a first pass is a couple inches. 3 or 4 on the next pass, and 6" on the 4th pass.
Here, it would take a tractor with a plow to get below that, reasonably.

I've always considered hiring a tractor to come in once, work the entire garden area, then bring in a dump truck load of manure to turn under with the tiller.
My hit n' miss method of amending attempts using yard waste and household scrap has just not been sufficient. More. Always need more ! lol

Best
rc

Knucklehead

Founding Member
lol
My belt started slipping again, a few days ago... so I lowered the belt adjustment ramp far as it can possibly go... can't get a box end wrench on the head of the bolt! It must be time for a new belt.

Deep tilling? Not really. In my dirt... best I can get in a first pass is a couple inches. 3 or 4 on the next pass, and 6" on the 4th pass.
Here, it would take a tractor with a plow to get below that, reasonably.

I've always considered hiring a tractor to come in once, work the entire garden area, then bring in a dump truck load of manure to turn under with the tiller.
My hit n' miss method of amending attempts using yard waste and household scrap has just not been sufficient. More. Always need more ! lol

Best
rc

Rickey60 recommended tillage radish as a cover crop. 30" tap roots busts up the compaction. I planted some a few days ago and it has sprouted. I'll keep posting updates on it this winter and spring. Also puts a lot of vegetative matter into the soil. http://www.covercropsolutions.com/

rustycase

I grew some daikon radishes a few years ago. They liked it here and grew like gangbusters!

Daikon_Globalism_Pictures.jpg

Mine were mostly about 12-14 inches long and they DO bust up hard dirt !
We ate some in salad, and gave some away, too. But most were composted in place...
People aren't so crazy about them like carrots, lettuce, and tomatoes or baby zucchini.

They are a significant component in cover crop seed mixes. They're called a jpanese bulldozer. lol

Best
rc

Gmac

ive been pulling my hair out eferytime i have to till.

i accuired a tiller which did good for this years grow,, then my motor blew up. i got a neighbour of 20 + years that has TROY BUILT '' HORSE'' TILLER, AND THE GUYS HAD A STROKE SO ITS USELESS TO HIM NOW,..he still gardens. and ive used my tiller to bust up his spot, we have discussed in the past about me fixing up this old tiller of his, and he was hesitant.

but after my tiller blew the motor up. he came around and told me to fix it and use it as long as i would bust up his spot when it needed it,

who would disagree with that deal?

its been in the shop [ needed carberatour work ] its fixed. i went and payed for the repairs and am gonna go get it monday,

this isnt the one i got .. but it sure looks the same, all the way to the old wore out paint,

..https://www.google.com/search?q=tro...tdZrNx8oM:&usg=__0pk-bDcuWp2ojPlT9YV1tkHy9v4=

.. im gonna sand it down... repaint it. and i found a site that sells the new stickers. the tires mine has is a sand tire design... im gonna try and get some tractor tires like the one pictured,

cant wait to try this bad boy out, for the fall garden.. i should be tilling this wednesday.

when i get it.. i'll post some pictures of what mine looks like
I have a Troybilt pony with a row maker plow with it. Makes great beds. My brother burned the oil rings in the motor, But I got a 6.5 HP for it from Harbor Freight for $99 fit right on,4 bolts a half hr. job.Runs so much quieter than the old one. My lawnmower man said it was made by Honda.

Love it,
Gmac

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I have a Troybilt pony with a row maker plow with it. Makes great beds. My brother burned the oil rings in the motor, But I got a 6.5 HP for it from Harbor Freight for $99 fit right on,4 bolts a half hr. job.Runs so much quieter than the old one. My lawnmower man said it was made by Honda.

Love it,
Gmac

i got the same motor... mine didnt last very long.. i mean how much can you run a tiller in a month and a half..

im gonna get another one with the extended warranty. and after 1 1/2 months take the blowed up one back. and get my money back.. and have a good motor.

it acts as though the rings collapsed. it has no compression. wont do nothing even with a shot of starting fluid. no '' boom'' inside the cylinder at all.

maybe i run it too hard.. i had it on my front tine tiller. and i give that tiller hell.

im gonna use the horse on the long runs.. and the front tine tiller to get in close around the fence..and areas i wont a deep till .. i.e. '' potatoe bed ''

i took some pic's of the '' parts'' horse im gonna aqquire.... may post them tomorrow... it has the ag tires i wanted but no motor guard, [ but ill custom fabricate that ]

i got acess to a torch and a mig welder. hopefully i can get it for $100.00 my uncle has it but he dont know how expensive the parts are that it has on it...

he's a junk collector. and ive never known him to have a garden so im sure he will take the 100 bucks and think he got the better end of the deal.

rustycase

Chicken, the HF motor that won't run could be a defunct oil level switch. try disconnecting it, then check for spark. Good luck rc

Gmac

Chicken, the HF motor that won't run could be a defunct oil level switch. try disconnecting it, then check for spark. Good luck rc
Where is the switch wire located? Mine did that when it became unlevel in the rear, no problem with the front being all the way when lifting and turning.
Gmac

Smokin Harley

I'm working on picking up an old Troy-bilt just recently. Both myself and the guy who is selling it are working OT on nights different places. But for general info ,hes only selling it for $150 obo ,but the engine doesn't run. It has a 5 hp Tecumseh,so am I correct thinking it is the Pony model? . When and If I get it and I most likely will, I'll check it for the usual non-running reasons (flywheel key #1)and see about making a nice late fall/winter project out of getting it going and sell my Craftsman that is getting very tired. I have no idea how old the Troy-bilt is or what they go for currently but I'm thinking it is at least a $650 machine new.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I'm working on picking up an old Troy-bilt just recently. Both myself and the guy who is selling it are working OT on nights different places. But for general info ,hes only selling it for $150 obo ,but the engine doesn't run. It has a 5 hp Tecumseh,so am I correct thinking it is the Pony model? . When and If I get it and I most likely will, I'll check it for the usual non-running reasons (flywheel key #1)and see about making a nice late fall/winter project out of getting it going and sell my Craftsman that is getting very tired. I have no idea how old the Troy-bilt is or what they go for currently but I'm thinking it is at least a $650 machine new.

you should look up parts on e-bay.... just the tranny i seen listed for $450.00 motor guard 150.00.....tires 60- 100+ e.t.c. youd be wise to get it at that price.... try $ 2,ooo.oo brand new, thats what they are listed for.... give me the serial #'s and ill look up the year and model for you

.............................................................................................................................................

well i got the '' parts tiller '' from my uncle he gave it to me. its in rough shape from being out in the weather for god knows how long???

but on a side note. when i lifted it. the paint on the under carrage dont look bad. and the tines still has some factory paint on them.. this tiller really isnt in bad shape.

looks like all it is missing is handlebars and a motor. and the tine engage lever was took off the machine. but it was there.

this is what it looked like in its resting place for many years,,

..IMG_20151005_185133843.jpgIMG_20151005_185139043.jpgIMG_20151005_185143303.jpg

but when i got it out in the open it is really nice. for what i plan on doing to it.. it's got my ag tires.

..IMG_20151006_174852970.jpgIMG_20151006_174908078_HDR.jpgIMG_20151006_174925906.jpgIMG_20151006_174953198.jpg

according to its serial #'s it was made between may - june of 1986 serial #826505

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
this one is a horse 3 .. it has a p.t.o. driven tines. i seen where they make a log splitting attachment for these models.. you take off the tiller tine '' body '' and hook up the log splitting attachment..

down the road i may use the '' unit '' like a tractor ... minus the tiller tine assemblly. and custom make some attachments for it.. harrow.. row makers.. e.t.c.

the possibilities of what i can design are limitless. now i got to keep my eye out for scrap attachment parts that these farmers have upgraded and threw to the side thier old equipment..

one mans junk is another mans treasure,

Smokin Harley

you should look up parts on e-bay.... just the tranny i seen listed for $450.00 motor guard 150.00.....tires 60- 100+ e.t.c. youd be wise to get it at that price.... try $ 2,ooo.oo brand new, thats what they are listed for.... give me the serial #'s and ill look up the year and model for you

.............................................................................................................................................

well i got the '' parts tiller '' from my uncle he gave it to me. its in rough shape from being out in the weather for god knows how long???

but on a side note. when i lifted it. the paint on the under carrage dont look bad. and the tines still has some factory paint on them.. this tiller really isnt in bad shape.

looks like all it is missing is handlebars and a motor. and the tine engage lever was took off the machine. but it was there.

this is what it looked like in its resting place for many years,,

..View attachment 16922View attachment 16923View attachment 16924

but when i got it out in the open it is really nice. for what i plan on doing to it.. it's got my ag tires.

..View attachment 16925View attachment 16926View attachment 16927View attachment 16928

according to its serial #'s it was made between may - june of 1986 serial #826505
I forgot to mention...it also comes with two attachments a furrower and a hiller . He says it ran during 2014 then quit suddenly, he thinks it broke a rod. I'm thinking it trashed the flywheel key , I've seen more "junk" and "unfixable" motors only needing a new key and they run fine. When I get to actually lay eyes on it , I'll check it out more closely. When I get it in possession I'll see what it needs. Nothing I can't fix as long as the block is good.

I can remember when I was a kid my dad bought a used Toro "power handle" that he bought for the snowthrower attachment it was mounted to but it came with a reel type mower as well. I imagine it had an option of a tiller unit too. That thing ran like a beast. I've only seen one other like it .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well im off to the next stage of the restoration..

swapping the tires. i borrowed a puller from my cousin.. this one,IMG_20151016_163658312.jpgIMG_20151016_163946254.jpg

and it failed miserablly and bent the rim.. but no big deal on that i wasnt going to use those rims anyhow...

i looked at many pullers to rent at o'reillys auto parts i figured one would work but id have to drill holes in the rim for it to work.. no big deal.. and it worked perfectlly

..IMG_20151015_155343621.jpgIMG_20151016_175222139.jpg

tomorrow im gonna take them to the tire shop and have them swapped around i could proablly do it in the yard but they got the right tools to do such a small tire. so ill pay a couple dollars to have it done right.

..IMG_20151016_163640622.jpgIMG_20151016_163649096.jpg

each step i conquer this tiller looks more sexy... after i install the belts this thing will be ready for the garden... then its just a bunch of decals. and ill have a 1974/ 2015 new tiller...

on a side note the sand tires i didnt have to use the puller. just used a punch and removed the holding pin and they slid right off....... but the one my uncle gave me that sat in the rain for ???? how many years was a bitch... without that puller i'd have been screwed.

i did use some penetrating oil on all the tires for a week. before getting to it. before i reinstall them im gonna put a grease fitting on the inside of the rim

Status
Not open for further replies.