Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Leaf storage and their oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORoller55

So... this idea came up when I was reading up on cigar storage. I was reading all about how putting cigars in the freezer for more than a couple days will totally dry them out, and if theyre left out in a dry environment they will lose all their oils, etc etc we all know this... But this got me thinking - then how should we be storing our leaf? Cigars are the leaf in a different form, but nothing else is different. Why would it be that cigars can lose their oils, but leafs would be fine for storage in drier conditions?

So I ask the experts out there - should we be storing our leaves similar to our cigars? And if not, why wouldnt we be concerned about the oils in the cigar leaf when were so concerned about the oils in the finished cigar??

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Your tobacco should be stored in low case but not dry. If crunchy dry it stops the aging process until it can get some more moisture and kick start the process again. I've never heard of them losing oils. If they get dry just mist a little water around the insides of the vapor proof bag, then seal it up with plenty of air. The tobacco will take in the moisture from the now humid air. I try to avoid wetting the leaf directly except for the individual leaves that I am about to use for binder or wrapper.
I've never used the freezer although I've heard that it is good for killing flea beetles if they get in your tobacco.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I was in a rush, and cheated. Filler was low almost crunchy, so was the wrapper. I got the tap water as hot as it would go and ran the wrapper under it gently as it started taking on water.

Finally it was wet, thru and thru. I shook out the the excess water and let it sit for a few seconds while I dried my hands and bunched the leaf. I the wrapper was wrapped around the filler and out I went. I remember thinking, it's burning perfectly, and dammed if this isn't the oiliest tobacco I've ever seen. Perfect white ash, no indication I'd just drowned it. I dunno, once off maybe or did the hot water do something that wasn't bad?

CORoller55

So basically you guys are saying that the oils, in leaf or cigar, wont be lost in low-case? I mean, the cigar might be damaged - but if it was "brought back to life" it would still contain the essential oils? This does go against what others typical say, but it makes sense to me, otherwise leaves would have to be stored the same as cigars.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I may be wrong, but I would think that time (couple of decades) would have a greater impact on the oils. During storage, I am more concerned with keeping the moisture content down to prevent mold, while having just enough moisture to keep the aging process going. We know that tobacco improves with age up to a point (again, a long time). I've heard of some really old and dry cigars being resurrected by very, very slowly introducing moisture. If they hydrate too fast the wrapper will split.

I guess to answer your question, I'm much more concerned about losing my tobacco to mold than I am concerned that my tobacco will lose some oil.

MarcL

Does oil evaporate? I would think it can condense or transfer but I would imagine it's to heavy or thick to become a gas. where are the scientists?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
It's probably one of those things (like every other subject on the internet) where 99% isn't an issue and a few experts obsess about the last 1% to the N'th degree. I'm just guessing though, I'm not close to an expert.

It appears that under short term conditions of a few years though that it is unaffected, but maybe the experts are right when the years become decades. I don't know.

Gdaddy

Does oil evaporate? I would think it can condense or transfer but I would imagine it's to heavy or thick to become a gas. where are the scientists?

That's a good question.

I do notice and have heard others say that their (snow white) humidity beads have a discoloring and turn light brown over time. I've also noticed the same discoloring on the cellophane wrapper. Is that an evaporation of oil or is it perhaps nicotine? I don't know.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Having smoked a number of cigars in the 25 year old range, I can attest that some subtle aromatics are lost with time...BUT, most of the original cigar's essential tastes and fragrances are still there, as is the nicotine (mostly).

The vapor pressure of the various volatile components of tobacco is determined by the molecular size of the constituent, and the ambient temperature. Most of the nasty stuff that evaporates during the early post-kilning (or post-fermenting) rest period are low molecular weight products of oxidation (e.g. ammonia). Most of the deep, rich flavors of a cigar (or whole leaf tobacco) are high molecular weight hydrocarbons and a variety of their derivatives. These can be defined as oils, waxes, large alcohols, etc. The bigger they are (molecular weight), the longer they last--measured in years or decades.

So, stored at a typical indoor room temperature, you lose very little--probably more to slow oxidation from air exposure than to evaporation. High ambient temperature, say on the dashboard of your car, will indeed evaporate some of those oils, and leave you with a dead, flavorless cigar. Keep the temp good, and don't worry about the dryness (which is only about water).

This subject is actually very complicated, from the standpoint of organic chemistry, and my knowledge of it only scratches the surface. But again, the water content is not particularly related to the presence or loss of large molecules.

My guess--just a guess--about discolored cellophane is that it is mostly oxidation of the cellophane, combined with a smattering of relatively volatile tobacco chemicals.

Bob

CORoller55

Deluxestogie, good enough info for me! Guess it doesnt really need to be a concern for most of us hobbyists.

Status
Not open for further replies.