Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

my cigars have big ungly veins

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgewes

They seem to be rolled correctly and I am having some success it seems but the on a couple of the cigars there are big ugly veins. I remove the center vein before bunching as is shown in videos. So some people crush those veins before they roll the cigar? They aren't the center vein but must be from the bottom of the leaf. Maybe people cut the bottom of the leaf off where the biggest offshoot of veins are.

Gdaddy

The best looking wrapper has very slight veins. For example, CT shade wrapper has very slight veins. This is also the reason the wrapper is cut from the top edge of the wrapper leaf where the veins are the least obvious. However, even with larger veins I place the cigar, after the wrapper goes on, back into the cigar mold and leave it over night. It will press down most veins so by morning they are hardly noticeable.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Make sure the veins are rolled to the inside and not on the outside of the cigar .
I have used a rolling pin to flatten big veins .

MarcL

Go ahead and trim the bottom (inside) out. also, while your rolling, you can pluck them out when there at the top too,

Smokin Harley

They seem to be rolled correctly and I am having some success it seems but the on a couple of the cigars there are big ugly veins. I remove the center vein before bunching as is shown in videos. So some people crush those veins before they roll the cigar? They aren't the center vein but must be from the bottom of the leaf. Maybe people cut the bottom of the leaf off where the biggest offshoot of veins are.
How much of the leaf side are you actually using to wrap?? Once you trim or pull out the main midrib and trim off the outer edge , you only need at most a 2 inch strip of the outer edge of the wrapper leaf ,save the rest for binder.
I use a rolling pin to flatten any other heavy veins that are still left after I trim my leaf. I roll perpendicular to those veins , from the outer edge towards where the mid vein used to be. Then when I am finished applying the wrapper , I use the chaveta to flat roll the cigar , which helps the wrapper to even out along the stick and the overlap and anything left of those heavier veins then almost disappear.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Rolling the axis of the cigar bunch parallel to the secondary veins of the wrapper will minimize the appearance of the veins, if they are a concern.

Bob

ArizonaDave

The best looking wrapper has very slight veins. For example, CT shade wrapper has very slight veins. This is also the reason the wrapper is cut from the top edge of the wrapper leaf where the veins are the least obvious. However, even with larger veins I place the cigar, after the wrapper goes on, back into the cigar mold and leave it over night. It will press down most veins so by morning they are hardly noticeable.

Exactly what I was going to say. Take the top edge (cut long ways), keep the bottom for binder.

ChinaVoodoo

On the rare occasion I worry about veins, I squish them with what's called a jade roller.
product-image-104188564.jpg
The big roller is about an inch and a quarter across, while the small one is about half an inch across.

Status
Not open for further replies.