Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Spacing Orientals??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Iv`e read somewhere in the forum that members space their oriental tobacco closer than the other tobacco`s, can`t find it. I want to plant Vuelta Abajo, Criollo and Corojo. I usualy plant 0.5m ( Dripper spacing) appart, do I plant them the same, or maybe 2/ dripper?
Thanks
Ben

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm confused. Orientals (Turkish varieties) do well when spaced 6 to 9 inches apart.

Vuelta Abajo, Criollo and Corojo are not Orientals, but full-size cigar varieties. I would space them as you normally do with any other full-size tobacco plants.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Ben this year I didn't grow em but other full-size tobaccos. I must say: Better grow then I was expecting. But. Please think twice one that.. Some tobacco will
Not like that and it's much harder to find out if something ain't right (snails or something else).
I don't care much if my tobacco leafs is eating one (even if hole leaf is east and much nicer to have).. If you can give em spices give em it..
Or do a test 50/50. To make mistake actually the best way to learn.

Planter

I´ve grown Corojo in pots and with relatively tight spacing (0.3m and less) in rather poor soil. It came out looking very similar to Izmir (an Oriental). The small, ripe leaves were aromatic and contained a surprising amount of sugar (several weeks of kilning and 2 years of storage did not change that sufficiently). I prefer Corojo cigarish, and will not grow it that way again, but the similarity to Oriental types was quite striking.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Iv`e read somewhere in the forum that members space their oriental tobacco closer than the other tobacco`s, can`t find it. I want to plant Vuelta Abajo, Criollo and Corojo. I usualy plant 0.5m ( Dripper spacing) appart, do I plant them the same, or maybe 2/ dripper?
Thanks
Ben

Regarding Orientals, Istanbulin posted a nice spacing chart here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/1799-FAQ-about-Turkish-tobaccos?p=30319&viewfull=1#post30319

Your confusion regarding Vuelta Abajo, Criollo and Coroja is understandable as GRIN has them classified as Orientals. One or two of the Cuban accessions are classed as Primitive. They are clearly cigar varieties. When I asked Jessica about this, she said that traditional use is not taken into consideration when classifying varieties, only the plants' looks and growth habit. If it looks Oriental it is classed Oriental, taste, flavor, use, etc. don't matter. I would like to know more about how this is done someday.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I grew Smyrna #9 (an Izmir variety) with wide spacing, it reached well over 7 feet in height, and the leaves were averaging about 12 inches in length, as I recall. It's resemblance to Sumatra types (FL Sumatra, Timor, Besuki, etc.) is striking: columnar form, vein angles, stem angle, leaf margins and surface, etc. There is no question that all Nicotiana tabacum varieties are genetically related, and that they have been differentiated over the past 500 years by the regional preferences of the growers, and their selection of desired traits.

As for the contract growers for GRIN, their classifications appear to have been haphazard, at best.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.