Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastorj

I am looking to grow some tobacco for pipe smoking purposes... I will probably be adding flavoring to make various aromatics.. What tobacco types would be best?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
pastorj,
A good base tobacco for making aromatic blends is any one of the numerous Maryland varieties. They are generally low in nicotine, general strength and aroma, and tend to readily absorb whatever you add to them. You can season them with stronger tobaccos, such as burley. Flue-cured ("Virginia") tobacco adds some acidity. Just about any variety can be fire-cured (smoked in a home smoker of some sort), to add a smokiness to the blend.

Bob

pastorj

Bob,

I really appreciate the input, and noticed that you live near Blacksburg, VA.. I graduated college from Radford University and was in the area for about six years. How are things there in Hokie/Highlander territory?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
pastorj said:
How are things there in Hokie/Highlander territory?
pastorj,
Weather is nice (after the horrid storms). Folks in BBurg and Radford are, as usual, focused mostly on things ethereal. I live down toward Riner, so I keep with less bipedal company.

Bob

Thunderhorse

Im so glad to find this near the top! it saves me starting a thread about it, as long as its ok for me to ask in this one lol
So would growing a virginia and then making a straight virginia toby be a good idea? Or would that just be recipe for bite? Im a fan of virginia blends but I havent found any straight virginias to try yet, although I know they are out there.... Ideas?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thunderhorse,
The "Virginia" that you are accustomed to buying has been flue-cured. Unless you are quite industrious, yours would be air-cured and possibly kilned. Either of the latter also seem to benefit from blending. Regardless, I think you'd be pleased with what you can grow. You might order a pound of whole leaf flue-cured Virginia from FmGrowit to play with. For non-aromatic pipe tobaccos, I like about 5/16 Virginia, 3/16 Perique, 4/16 Latakia and the remainder a Turkish variety.

Bob

Thunderhorse

Ok! I Will most likely only be able to grow one variety this year, so what would be a good variety to grow to make a pipe tobacco that I wouldnt have to blend?

jolly

Ok! I Will most likely only be able to grow one variety this year, so what would be a good variety to grow to make a pipe tobacco that I wouldnt have to blend?

Not sure what type of tobacco you typically smoke, but I don't think you can go wrong with a white burley. You can smoke it straight (a bit boring) but you can also blend it with your bought blends to pep them up a bit, and you can flavor it (though I can't understand why you'd want to, It's fine by itself).

Thunderhorse

Hmm White Burley, Would that be the base for Prince albert and carter hall toby? I havent smoked to much straight burley mostly just english, and virginia blends, I really like peterson Sherlock Holmes its great stuff in my opinion... I know lots of others beg to differ

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
PA is 100% Burley. The problem, or fun depending on how you look at it is there are quite a few Burleys out there that all have their own unique taste.
Why can you only grow one variety this year?

Randy B

Thunderhorse

Sweet! I can only grow one variety because I dont have a credit card or any friends with a credit card that are willing to use them online. So I can only grow one variety because Im only allowed one variety of seed from here. Unless I can make the 25 posts before I need to start the seedlings I guess

BigBonner

Founding Member
Thunderhorse

Ask around there are several up there raising several different varietys . You may be able to get seeds from them .

pastorj

Bob,

thanks for the info. I am going to try and grow about 4-5 blends this year and see what happens. I have been reading a lot of things on this site and others about different tobaccos, and feel like I am learning a lot, but there is also soooo much to learn.

I have ordered a variety to try out VA bright, Wisconsin, Yellow Pryor, and Orinico... Is there anything you can tell me about these tobaccos?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Rather than clog the board, just ask for what you want. The idea behind giving free seeds is to encourage participation...not to encourage someone to figure out some way to work the system.

Tom_in_TN

The idea behind giving free seeds is to encourage participation...not to encourage someone to figure out some way to work the system.
dangit, there you go taking all the fun out of it.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I know right.... I guess I will have to try and sound semi-intelligent and ask some serious questions, or bring up some interesting points that I will have to research somewhere... hahahaha

Kind of an odd attitude. There is nothing in the TOS that requires anyone to behave intelligently...most members do it voluntarily

BarG

Founding Member
Kind of an odd attitude. There is nothing in the TOS that requires anyone to behave intelligently...most members do it voluntarily

Terms,Tools,Tirades,;Of;Socializing? I have to agree anyway, [TOS?] This not a captive audience, except for those who appreciate whats happening here..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Humor is a tricky thing on-line. Unlike conversation, written comments intended to be facetious and light-hearted, often appear in print as irritable sarcasm.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Humor is a tricky thing on-line. Unlike conversation, written comments intended to be facetious and light-hearted, often appear in print as irritable sarcasm.

Bob

Well said Bob, people skills[communicating sucessfully] is a learned thing. I may never master.

Status
Not open for further replies.