Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

what is the best temperature to store cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgewes

after they have been rolled and dried out then the next step I assume is to store them in a humidifier or whatever one used at a certain humidity. What would be the ideal humidity.
Also, if a person does not have a humidifier then it would be hard to control the temperature. or does temperature matter that much. Maybe humidity is more important.

Also, what are humidity cups and where does one get them?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The temperature can be whatever temperature you keep the rest of the house, unless you live in extreme cold or heat.
What you do about humidity will depend on where you live and whether you need to take the humidity up or down from the humidity in your home. I like around 60%. I have good luck keeping it around 60% without doing or adding anything. But I live in Alabama and I run dehumidifiers in the basement. Some areas of the country will dry out, some will have humidity so high that mold is a concern.
Boveda makes a humidipak that will keep humidity at a specific level, whether it has to draw out humidity, or add humidity. They call it two way technology. Many methods will only do one or the other, humidify or dehumidify. Boveda paks do both. They offer several different humidity levels, you pick the humidity.
http://www.bovedainc.com/solutions/tobacco/

If you'll add a general location to your profile, it will be easier to answer future questions, especially ones concerning humidity.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I store in vapor proof bags, in a room attached to the house that is insulated but not heated. They typically freeze for maybe a month out of the year, however there is no extreme high temp. I figure it periodically does an automatic beetle check.

LewZephyr

What Knucklehead said about the Boveda packs and temp. What ever temp the climate controlled house is at.
Yeah I swear by the Boveda packs. I get the large ones at 65 RF and put 4-5 in my 150 stick and 2-3 in my 50 stick. The humidors usually stay right between 62 and 65 RF.

USHOG

The main reason I worry about temps is to keep the tobacco beetle larva from hatching. Anything around or under 70 is good to keep them bugs from hatching a little lower is probably better but that is for each person to play with and find out what they prefer. If the humidity is under 70% the bugs will normally stay dormant. an easy fix is to always freeze your leaf. I like to keep my cigars around 62% and 65 degrees as I live in a very high humidity area. I have also learned that different leaf needs different levels of humidity for me to enjoy the flavors fully. It is funny how humidity can make or break a good smoke or even destroy it.

Last edited:

waikikigun

We recently passed through an intense heat wave where I am, with low humidity, and everything I tried to roll or smoke during that time tasted like burnt death. A few days after things improved sticks from the same batch tasted fine. That was a real eye-opener.

BlazedUp

I store mine at 67 deg and 65%. I've been storing many that way for ten years or so in a converted freezer. In my experience anything over 72-73 deg, tobacco beetles hatching and chowing down on the cigars can be an issue. Some may reccomend 70\70, but I find that too wet and can lead to draw issues.

hawk45

All my sticks are in 7 liter tupperdors in my basement cabinets using 2 large 65% Boveda packs and some Spanish cedar in each. The basement is a constant 64 degrees year round.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My basement stays 64F year round also. I have two dehumidifiers in the basement set to come on at 55%, but my cigar humidor seems to stay around 60% inside without anything added to add or subtract humidity. (Cheap humidity gauge in the humidor could be off some) The important thing is the cigars smoke great.

webmost

Average water table in Dull-Aware is about two feet down. This state is essentially a sand bar. Many people do have basements, nevertheless, and spend a fortune on them. But I avoided that sump pump versus flood scenario by picking a home without a basement. Therefore, my humidors and coolidors live up in the home office at room temp. In Winter, when the furnace and hearth tend to dry out the house, I'll fire up a humidifier that lives right outside the office door. That helps. Other than that, I peek at half a dozen hygrometers about once a week and react accordingly. Cigars ready to smoke, I try to keep them between 60 and 65%. Cigars stashed to age, in the age coolidor, I try to keep them around 65%. I keep about two score of my faves in a small humidor which is a super stable box. Stays around 65% without much tending. I'm re-filling that stash these days. Matalotos. Love 'em. Then there's a dry box for fresh rolled of the damp kind... they rotate into the aging coolidor after a couple weeks, or when they feel about right. Then there's the coolidor of filler leaf ready to roll, which i keep between 65% and 70%. Then there the wrappers box, which I keep between 75% and 80%. Then there's the opened bags of leaf, which live in a coolidor with a tight lid, at don't open me. Then there's unopened bags, sealed at whatever they were when Don sent them, in a cardboard box in the closet.

Cripes, I think I need to buy some more!
Why do I always feel like I am running out?

So there's a whole lot of tending, time I go from one humidor to the next coolidor. On the other hand, all of my boxes of FX Smith's Sons just sit on the closet shelf inside big ziplocks... and they seem to endure just fine, with no attention at all! So it might just be it doesn't matter anywhere near so much as we think.

Then there's the deluxestogie approach ... roll it and smoke it, get it over with. Not much to worry about there. I've been trying that approach lately... rolling quickies and sparking them right off. It works OK, by golly. Maybe not your optimum aging experience; but certainly avoids a lot of maintenance and fiddling round. It's good. Maybe I get as much experience as deluxe, I'll go that direction. Occam is one of my heros, after all. Only thing you miss going that way is, you don't get to open up your box and admire your handiwork from time to time. Like old Scrooge McDuck in his counting room, I like to lift the lid every few days just to admire and get a snootfull. That's fun too.

buck

%70 humidity and 70f are the maximum values that you should store your cigars at. I store mine between %63-%67 and temp below 70f for long term aging. If you store at %70-70 you don't have much to compensate for up shifts in those values due to temp changes but for your daily cigars should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.