Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Primitive tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrthing2000

I've read a whole bunch of posts so far but haven't really nailed down the answer.

What is primitive tobacco? What makes it a primitive type?

I'm guessing these would be 'among' the first varieties that were out there before hybridizing and crossing started to develop new types. Sound right? So these would not just be 'old' but they were more like 'the first ones'.

Mostly I'm curious, if anyone has any idea, what the Natives were using when the Europeans showed up (N. rustica?). Maybe there was more than one kind, maybe different regions had different kinds.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I believe "Primitive" and "Other" were assigned to tobacco that didn't fit the standard looks of a Burley, Rustica, Turkish etc. I thought someone on here posted a long time ago the definitions GRIN used in classifying their finds.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Primitive" is used to categorize a tobacco variety that shows little or no indication of agricultural improvement. So, varieties that, for example, produce low leaf count and a tendency for their seed pods to spontaneously crack open (most N. tabacum varieties don't), are classified as "Primitive."

As for pre-Columbian tobacco, it is discussed at length here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/181-Tobacco-Varieties-Before-Columbus

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah that was me, I found the PDF from the old grin people, I dunno where it is now though, but Randy summed it up from what I remember

Status
Not open for further replies.