Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Brown Thumbs Polish Shredder Head Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

Still waiting on my motor. I think the head got here faster from Poland.
I needed 2 more pieces of aluminum to finish the infeed shoot and back they arrived faster from farther away.
Picked up some 1/8 x 2 alumunim to make the gear covers with.
What a PITA. But got the big one roughed out.
I don't have access to a Tig welder Anymore.
I tried the alumunim brazing rods, they work Kinda.
lots of practice needed but it turned out Ok.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Ford introduced the new all aluminum body F150. You'll need some way to weld, maybe aluminum wire for mig, aluminum studs for stud welder, and aluminum converter for paint shop. I remember those aluminum Town Car hoods that were so hard to work with. It's going to get worse.

Brown Thumb

Ford introduced the new all aluminum body F150. You'll need some way to weld, maybe aluminum wire for mig, aluminum studs for stud welder, and aluminum converter for paint shop. I remember those aluminum Town Car hoods that were so hard to work with. It's going to get worse.
Screw them new Fords.
Ill send any I get to my buddy that spent the 80,000 bucks for the tools, clean room, training Ect.
I don't think he has even seen one yet.
I don't know what the big deal is.
We have been fixing aluminum for yrs.
I somehow got to get out of the business, body's too old for this crap.
The insurance company's are out of control.
The stress is not worth it anymore.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Shoot, wait till some of those cast aluminum frames start coming in for frame pulling with cracks all in them. :)

Brown Thumb

Shoot, wait till some of those cast aluminum frames start coming in for frame pulling with cracks all in them. :)
I hope to be Dead.
Or at least out of the business.
All the computers and monitoring systems in these cars are enough to drive me nuts.
I don't want to be fixing these things in ten yrs from now.

AmaxB

Yeh makes ya miss the pre mid 70s I have a neighbor bout 3 houses down with what looked like a 68 / 69 pickup. He hardly ever drove it one day I seen it in the drive for sale I damn near went down and bought it. Set there less than 4 days and was gone, thing was in good shape too. I used to have a 69 ford three on the tree I put a big block in it that had been bored an was distended to go in a mustang. The kid wrapped the mustang around a light pole before he put the engine in it. I got the engine for about $400 bucks that truck would run. I loved and miss that truck.

Brown Thumb

The Good Old Days, YeeHaw.
She don't bog down with the new motor. But loves to lockup the cutter head Now.
She works a Lot Better Tho.
Low case destemed no problem.
Med case, I have to be careful. She will jamb.
I Got to give Power Powermatic Credit.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have found that when I get jams it is because I am over feeding. It's easy to do, the leaf just gets sucked down into the rollers so easily and quickly. Before you know it I'm dumping a ton of leaf into it and get a jam. A steady pace lets me shred with no jams. The other issue I see is also one of perception. With the Powermatic you have a very small roller length so you really can't over stuff it too easily. With the Polish shredder the head is so wide it tempts you to force a handful at a time into the rollers.

Also, Are you using any kind of oil? Lucas says to spray the rollers with oil. I tried it a few times (actually with glycerine) and never noticed a difference.

Brown Thumb

He told me oil also. I don't want oil on my Baccy.
a big heavy Flywheel would keep her turning.
I Got to find a 1 hp. motor that will fit in it.

Brown Thumb

I stole this gearmotor off a new paint mixing machine I don't use.
1/2 hp. 70 rpm. Its Gonna be a bugger to hook up. It has 1/2 in. square bar stock for the drive end hole.
There went Compact out the window since I have to mount it on the outside:(
image.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I wonder if there is an optimal RPM. I know Lucas uses 200 rpm but I wonder if 100 or 300 rpm would cut down on jams. Mine turns at about 190 rpm and I do not get jams as long as I pay attention and feed at a steady, even rate. It'll be interesting to see what 70 rpm does.

Brown Thumb

I got it rigged up and working per say.
It works a lot better. It will jamb tho with leaf in med+ case feeding it too much.
It will unjam by turning it on and off a couple of times. No wasted Beer. That is the baccy beer pond on the right on the table.
The motor is explosion proof and I don't see the wires to put a drum switch in to have reverse.
The shred I think looks better? The stems seem to get cut up more and not as stringy going slower.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Brown Thumb

She should be ready to fire up in the morning, I got to get a few more bolts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 11

Bex

What a guy thing this thread has been - 1/8hp, 1/4hp, 1/2hp, now 1hp motor. Soon comes the manual transmission with some forward gears and reverse and the electric winch.....Looking forward to a video of this finally doing its thing.

Brown Thumb

I got a 12 qt. storage container that fits thru the machine and it filled to the top fills a hefty storage jumbo bag perfectly.
image.jpg

Brown Thumb

Lets see if I can figure out to make a Vid.
The shredder is still being tested per say.
Once I am 100 % happy I will tear her down, Powder coat her and finish the wiring.
I have a half of tub left of little big gem destemmed ready to go.
Lets give this a try.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.