Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nicotiana rustica

Status
Not open for further replies.

First Warrior

I have been growing a small amount of Nicotiana Rustica, Aztec tobacco, every year for the past three years. I use it mostly in NA ceremony. I wondered if anybody else grows it? I know it is pretty strong. Any use in cigars or is it to strong? I just air dry it in shade.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Re: Nicotinia Rustica

It's always disappointing, but for some reason I always grow a variety, and it's started growing wild on my property which I'm a little surprised about.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member

I should add though that likely I'm only finding it disappointing because I am not using it in the correct ways, maybe try some I've for hanging as a snuff and see how it is like that. I think I remember deluxestogie saying the sacred cornplanter made a nice cigar though. Will you share how you use it?

First Warrior

In NA culture tobacco is sacred. It can be used in many ways. It can be used as a offering to the creator, in tobacco ties that are made of a small square of cloth with a pinch of tobacco inside that are made with a prayer, a thank you for folks that are doing a ceremony, and for part of the mixture that is smoked in the red stone pipe. There are other ways but these are the most common.

DonH

I've grown Azteca. It's strong in nicotine but light in flavor. The leaves are small though so the amount you get is disappointing. Like Smokeshahoy it will seed itself even in cold climates, so that's pretty cool.

I like Rustica. It has a different buzz than Tabacum. It must have different alkaloids in it.

ChinaVoodoo

I understand that N rustica is what was historically available in North America, but aren't all tobacco species sacred to aboriginal people of the Americas?

ChinaVoodoo

I recently discovered a website which has a very concise and well written section on growing tobacco. More importantly, I appreciated the talk of sacred tobacco and it's meaning. It helped me to be thankful for the experience I have had growing my own. I have contacted a social worker friend who works at a high school which is mostly First Nations students. I know they go on field trips to hunt and such. I offered to use my tobacco knowledge as another field trip.

http://www.sixnationsfarmersmarket.com/gardening_growing_the_medicines.php

Gavroche

French and after english by google translate

cette année 2015 j'ai planté pour la premiere fois du tabacet c'est Mapacho . avec 100 pieds j'ai un kilogramme cinq cents de tabac sec c'est peu, très peu.
je l'ai séché à l'ombre dans une pièce de la maison, il a pris une belle couleur or puis brune.

j'ai cuit après sechage une partie au four à 65° celsius pendant 6 heures , l'autre partie dans un refrigerateur à 40° celsius et 80 % hygro. après j'ai fait un flake 70% du four et 30% du refrigerateur.
c'est un délice fruité et très vert mais surtout ce tabac apaise, mes amis qui ont goûté aussi sont très calme après avoir fumé une pipe

.This year I planted in 2015 for the first time the tabacet is Mapacho . with 100 feet I have five hundred one kilogram of dry tobacco is little, very little.
I dried in the shade in a room of the house , he took a beautiful gold and brown .

I cooked some after drying in the oven at 65 ° Celsius for 6 hours , the other party in a refrigerator at 40 ° Celsius and 80% hygro . after I made a flake 70% of the oven and 30% of the refrigerator.
this is a fruity delight and very green but mostly it soothes tobacco , my friends who are also tasted very quiet after smoking a pipe

Alyssanmo

I've grown Azteca. It's strong in nicotine but light in flavor. The leaves are small though so the amount you get is disappointing. Like Smokeshahoy it will seed itself even in cold climates, so that's pretty cool.

I like Rustica. It has a different buzz than Tabacum. It must have different alkaloids in it.
Hey I’ve been growing some wild Rustica and I feel like I’m having a hard time with it do you have any tips

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, Alyssanmo. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

This is a fairly old thread, but I suspect a number of other members will chime in with comments.

How are you growing the "wild" rustica? Are you saving the seeds and then starting them in the spring yourself, or just tending volunteer plants? What sort of "hard time" are you having with it?

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.