Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone Shredding leaf With the stem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

Since I'm building this shredder that should shred the stem N/P
I read the the stem gives a bitter taste.
When I destem. I pretty much just frogleg it.
Anyone shred the stems if so does it taste different?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have not shredded stems. I have fermented them, and cut them up into tiny pieces to pack into a pipe. My stems burned reasonably well, were mild and not bitter. That was all experimental. I no longer save stems for any purpose.

Stems is cigar filler don't burn at the same rate as the lamina, and their presence makes it a bit more difficult to roll the cigar.

One other characteristic of stems that I noticed when smoking some in a pipe: as they burn, they expand somewhat. I believe that the cigarette companies vacuum expand their stem batches, then roll them thin, before shredding them for routine use in cigarettes.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have shredded some with stems and they are ok .
BUT the big problems with stems is , burning stem chunks will fall off the ends and burn holes in your shirts or anything they fall on .
They are like little smoldering chunks of char coal . Possible fire hazard .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've shredded stems too. Didn't really care for them. Even thought they were shredded to .8mm like the leaf, they were still hard little .8mm stems that were very noticeable in the chew/dip that I made.. Just didn't like the feel. On the other hand, my wife never complained about them in her cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.