Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2nd fermentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Iv`e decided to give some of my tobacco a 2nd fermentation, will it better ( taste, aroma) the tobacco? I have read in a recent post that some growers did it, but can`t find the post. Do I ferment for 6 weeks again or shorter?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I've tried long fermentations (6-8+ weeks), and two fermentations of 4+ weeks separated by a couple months. Not much in way of improvement in taste or mildness. Storage of 2-3 years or more in low case does take away some harshness. I have some leaves still hanging in the curing shed (ambient conditions) for 1+ year, and there is definite improvement. Am going to leave about half for another year, hoping it even better.

Planter

I usually kiln for 2-4 weeks, then let it rest for a while. If it's still not to my liking, I give it another 2 weeks in the kiln when it fits.
I gave some cigar leaf a hot and wet fermentation 3 years ago, since then it has been stored in low case (never dried out) and still was rather harsh and bitey. The second kilning (increased temperature slowly every 3-4 days) recently did the trick, it's very nice now, and much more alkaline as well.

I'm trying the same currently on some Corojo from the same year.

Smokin Harley

I'm bringing this thread up again . My 2015 crop leaf was kilned last fall and into the winter ,then dried to low case and bagged . I just checked it all to see if there has been any changes or improvements .All but one bag was fine , low case and still pliable. I did lose a small amount of Vuelta Abajo ligero (tips) to mold . I do not notice any real drastic changes with aroma on much of the other leaf. I still get a slightly grassy and the only other way I can describe the smell is bitter or astringent. I'm wondering if I should shove it all back into the kiln and run it another month or so . Your thoughts ,suggestions.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The "grassy" aroma is an indication that the leaf has not fully finished the chemical changes that happen during aging or in a kiln. This can happen if the kiln gets too hot (over ~149 degrees F, which denatures the primary oxidizing enzyme) or if the leaf spends too much of its time in the kiln in a dry state.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco leaf contains two oxidizing enzymes. The more rapid of the two is destroyed at near 149 degrees F. The slower enzyme is destroyed at near 191 degrees F. So, for example, flue-cured tobacco (often heated to 170 degrees F) can still age slowly. Most kilns are operated below 130 degrees F, allowing both enzymes to remain active.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Thats good to know. I kept mine at a steady 127*F ,that was at the sensor at the top 3 inches of the kiln, the leaves were all hanging or stacked below that. I'll give it another shot .

Status
Not open for further replies.