Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Freezing Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverstone

As I mentioned in my post in General Discussion (A Short, Long Story) I am going through the weevil problem as we speak. I have unpacked the leaf I had in the freezer for 5-6 days and found no live larva. I gave everything a good shake, brush, turned the bags inside out and repacked. I had a pile of debris like sand and quite a few shriveled up grey carcases but nothing wiggling. Time will tell if I have also killed the eggs. As stated, this problem was only in the WLT that was NOT heat treated at the border and only the Prilep and Flue Cured Virginia Red Leaf. The Lemon leaf is clean as a whistle. I have found no trace of weevils in my own flue or air cured leaf as this year I kilned it all.

burge

I have not seen any in anything from WLT but its good to know. Is it a local bug that you may have? What does a tobacco beetle look like?

riverstone

Hi Burge
No beetles were present, only larva and ,I suppose, eggs. The bag was still sealed and I opened it to find this. If you look at my Post in 'General Discussion" A Long Story Short, You will see photos of the larva.

burge

Cool and thanks I just put the bag in the freezer just in case. Actually freezing and rethawing can actually help in aging tobacco.

burge

I find when it's hot outside the leaf may sweat a bit. Water comes from the leaf and it's reabsorbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.