PI 404935
PA broadleaf seco
swarr viso
hacienda de cura seco
Columbian garcia
Little Cuba viso
criollo
havana 211

The dunker is listed as wrapper; the 211 as binder; the rest as innards.

Nice review. I've been sweating like a playwright on opening night on Broadway. :)

Any of the leaf that is defect free enough for wrapper would make good wrapper leaf. Don't neglect to try some as wrapper. I just labeled it the way GRIN had it classified, except for the Cuban seed varieties. They were classed as Oriental or Primitive so I just label them as Cuban seed, cause I just don't know yet which to class as filler or wrapper for my notes and seed lists.

I haven't tried the Little Cuba, Remedios, or PI 404935 yet, but they are also Cuban seed. I've been told they don't have the true Cuban flavor of the Criollo or Coroja but still make a good filler. Hacienda del Cura is Canary Island seed that originated in Cuba way back when those islands were on the sailing ship trade routes. Probably a more Cuban flavor than the Little Cuba, Remedios, or PI 404935. It should blend well with any of the Cuban seed varieties. The Swarr has a nice American cigar flavor. It's related to the Swarr-Hibshman that deluxestogie grows.

Some of that leaf I sent could use drying down more. Most of it was in storage since last year and had dried out. I got it overly wet to rehydrate and apparently didn't let it dry back down enough before shipping.

webmost

knuck20151011.jpg

This morning, I rolled up the best pure knucklehead quickie I could cherry pick. One leaf of Garcia, one leaf of Corojo Cuban, bound with a half leaf of Swarr viso, wrapped in a half leaf of Dunkel. I originally pulled out some Havana 211, cause it was billed as binder; but the leaves are small and rough, so I used the Swarr instead. All these are from Knuck's package. Don't know much about these leaves, so I just went with what smelled good in the bag. Smelled pretty damn good in a roll, too. Floral aroma. Very nice.

On the flip side -- This wrapper is neither attractive nor is it tasty nor is it smooth. Being very large leaves, this test stick came out fatter than I ordinarily like. I should cut back to a half leaf of either the Corojo or Garcia.

But it lit aromatic, floral, and deep. Smooth. I do like deep and moody blends. Flowers, fruits, and mood. I enjoyed this cigar a lot... at least half way. Then within a single pause between puffs it studged up, turned sour, and died. I trimmed and re-lit it; but it was suddenly too rank to smoke. I think I need to roll a couple and stash them to dry. I think the filler is still damper than it ought to be. This blend is definitely worth a second try. I'll box a couple for a month. I'll have to dampen the wrapper and smooth it out. I like the thing to feel smooth and tight between my lips.

waikikigun

This is irrelevant to your intent no doubt but maybe interesting vis a vis the notion of taste. As a Hawaiian, anyway, I don't associate floral and nutty with moody but rather with lightness and contentment, happiness.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
From growing up in Hawaii I associate a strong floral smell with getting laid.

Ah I kill me, couldn't resist.

webmost

This is irrelevant to your intent no doubt but maybe interesting vis a vis the notion of taste. As a Hawaiian, anyway, I don't associate floral and nutty with moody but rather with lightness and contentment, happiness.

I am more given to a quiet, contemplative contentment rather than a light one. I wish I had a better adjective than moody to describe what I mean. Some blends make me want to sit quietly and think. I like that. Yesterday, for instance, working on my porch man cave, I lit this cigar, and forty five minutes later, when it died out, I found myself sitting in a plastic Adirondack in the garage. Football was on the toob but I could't tell you what the score was.

Think Pablo Casals smoking his pipe with a distant gaze while playing Bach.
A well stroked cello versus that infernal jumping flea.

30casals.jpg

moody

waikikigun

The word "pensive" comes to mind, then. But maybe that's too, er, thoughtful...

webmost

The word "pensive" comes to mind, then. But maybe that's too, er, thoughtful...
Pensive. Entranced. Beguiled a while.

Wait a minute. I gotta go roll another one now.

This morning with breakfast I whipped out four perfecto bunches and stuck them in the mold. Knuck's habano filler with a half leaf each of this or that. Swarr binder.

20151012.jpg

Then this evening I wrapped each with his Garcia. None of this is what I sat down to do. But as soon as I fingered the habano, I had to roll it up. This evening's wrap left me with a supply of Garcia half moons, being the inside parts of the leaf which I cut out when excising the outer strip for the wrapper. I'll use these to bind up something else.

Maybe tomorrow. Tonight I have to get back to work. Got a workalanche going on again.

webmost

Rolled all my remaining Knucklehead leaves and stuck them in my dry box. Labelled them according to what was inside; K1, K2, K3, etc. For example, K1 was 2 habano loeaves ½ corojo leaf, bound in ½ leaf Swarr, wrapped in ½ leaf Garcia. I thought they'd been in the dry box long enough; but maybe I was wrong, cause I sparked up a K1 the other night, and, I tell you, if I'd started this thread with that blend, I woulda titled it IMRO, where RO stands for Right On. It sucked. An earthy odor pre-light. The wrapper tasted nutty. A weak woody flavor once lit. A super dark ash. But the killer was, it made a musty stank, and it had a bite. I'd compare this to a Victor Sinclair. I was glad to let it go out.

I mailed off another K1 to someone on the cigar.com forum for his opinion. I still have one left. I'll try again after Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.