Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pressure Canner Cavendish v2.0

ChinaVoodoo

Sorry for hitting a long ago post, but I hope to start my Cavendish experimenting this next weekend and while I have ten lbs of leaf due in tomorrow along with 12 lbs of other leafs I got in last week, I also have a lot of shredded tobacco that I wanted to experiment on. I've earmarked about half of all that whole leaf to the experimenting following tidbits from everyone on this thread.

How does/did your Cavendish turn out (from the shredded tobacco)?
Did/do you use the same processes for shredded as you do for whole leaf?
Sorry for what may seem like dumb questions, but I've got a brand new pressure cooker and two cases of mason jars that I hope to come up to speed on the processes and hope I do it like it's supposed to be done. Hope to start out with just straight tobacco and once I get the routine down, plan to branch out by adding flavors and VG.

Thanks for the great information and always enjoying the experimenting is these new adventures and everyone's two cents.

Cheers
I haven't done it pre shredded but I see no reason why it would be significantly different. I do it whole leaf because I find it easier to cut by hand while moist, and my tobacco is often too dry beforehand.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I shred all my tobacco to 1.6mm which is perfect for pipe tobacco. For Cavendish (using the ChinaVoodoo Pressure Cooker Method) I pack the jars fairly tight. You'll have to experiment to determine the right amount of packing to use. It's no big deal if you pack super tight. You'll just need to spend a little time spreading out the finished product.

GWLee

I shred all my tobacco to 1.6mm which is perfect for pipe tobacco. For Cavendish (using the ChinaVoodoo Pressure Cooker Method) I pack the jars fairly tight. You'll have to experiment to determine the right amount of packing to use. It's no big deal if you pack super tight. You'll just need to spend a little time spreading out the finished product.
Great! I can't wait till Friday to start!!!
Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

GWLee

I haven't done it pre shredded but I see no reason why it would be significantly different. I do it whole leaf because I find it easier to cut by hand while moist, and my tobacco is often too dry beforehand.
Will see how it turns out, as I noted, have plenty of both shredded and whole leaf, almost feel like a kid waiting for Christmas for Friday to get here lol

Cheers

superfluities

So I'll have use of an Instapot Max(works for canning) tomorrow. When you "can" Cavendish, am I using moist leaves and adding water of same weight or dry leaves adding same amount of water? I have to use one pint jars so will I have liquid in the bottom of the jar when starting or should it be dryish?

BrotherJ

So I'll have use of an Instapot Max(works for canning) tomorrow. When you "can" Cavendish, am I using moist leaves and adding water of same weight or dry leaves adding same amount of water? I have to use one pint jars so will I have liquid in the bottom of the jar when starting or should it be dryish?
I've read all of the cavendish-making threads on the forum and look forward to trying it myself. From what I gather, the best starting point is leaf that is very wet, but not dripping wet. It needs to be wet to facilitate the chemical changes, but you don't want water pooling in the bottom of the jar. If you have too much water, whatever doesn't get absorbed back into the leaf will take some nicotine and flavour with it, and you don't want it getting reabsorbed unevenly.

ChinaVoodoo

I've read all of the cavendish-making threads on the forum and look forward to trying it myself. From what I gather, the best starting point is leaf that is very wet, but not dripping wet. It needs to be wet to facilitate the chemical changes, but you don't want water pooling in the bottom of the jar. If you have too much water, whatever doesn't get absorbed back into the leaf will take some nicotine and flavour with it, and you don't want it getting reabsorbed unevenly.
I don't think you would notice a regional difference in nicotine unless you tried. Nevertheless, your plan sounds good.

burge

Bottom line when you soak tobacco need to be sure it is reabsorbed if not the water evaporates. Careful with the heat as mold could develop. I just try to moisten the leaves enough that they are overly moist but not drenched.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I remove the sealed jars of cooked Cavendish from the pot, I first allow them to cool on a trivet or rack. The leaf at the bottom of the jar ends up much wetter than leaf at the top of the jar. Prior to opening and spreading the leaf to dry, I invert the jars, to help redistribute the drippings to the upper leaf. I'm not really sure if that improves the overall batch more than just a heartfelt chant.

Bob

burge

When I remove the sealed jars of cooked Cavendish from the pot, I first allow them to cool on a trivet or rack. The leaf at the bottom of the jar ends up much wetter than leaf at the top of the jar. Prior to opening and spreading the leaf to dry, I invert the jars, to help redistribute the drippings to the upper leaf. I'm not really sure if that improves the overall batch more than just a heartfelt chant.

Bob
That is kind of what I do when I wet my tobacco. The only difference is that I am not boiling it. It does weaken the strength of nicotine but not by much. I will do that if the nicotine hit is a little too much for my liking.