Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pronounce Kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I thought this might be fun. I've heard the word kiln pronounced two different ways. One way the n is silent so it is pronounced like kil. I've also heard it pronounced the way it is spelled. I read the word several times when I was a kid before I ever heard it pronounced so I got in the habit of pronouncing it the way it is spelled and I guess that's the way with a lot of folks that read it first. I looked it up in two online dictionaries and they both provided both pronunciations, though one dictionary used kiln as the primary while the other dictionary used kil as the primary pronunciation. So, just curious, how do you guys pronounce it? I'm hoping to start some online fist fights. Please post pictures of all shiners.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
This is a good one! All my life I've had trouble saying the worn kiln. I've always pronounced it "kill-en". Eventually I tired of people making fun of me so I pronounce it correctly: kiln (with the n).
I believe "kil" is a southern thang

Knucklehead

Founding Member
One thing that made me wonder about this was back when Brett Farve was still playing quarterback he would pronounce the name of his hometown like Kil. I thought he was from Kill, Miss. until they showed a picture of a city limit sign of his hometown and it was spelled Kiln, Miss.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've always pronounced it with the 'n' sound. Yankees use the word "kill" to refer to a creek: Schuylkill, Catskill, etc. Someone I knew from Perth Amboy, NJ, pronounced the word "kil" when referring to a pottery kiln.

Smokin Harley

I thought this might be fun. I've heard the word kiln pronounced two different ways. One way the n is silent so it is pronounced like kil. I've also heard it pronounced the way it is spelled. I read the word several times when I was a kid before I ever heard it pronounced so I got in the habit of pronouncing it the way it is spelled and I guess that's the way with a lot of folks that read it first. I looked it up in two online dictionaries and they both provided both pronunciations, though one dictionary used kiln as the primary while the other dictionary used kil as the primary pronunciation. So, just curious, how do you guys pronounce it? I'm hoping to start some online fist fights. Please post pictures of all shiners.
You should hear how out of staters pronounce Illinois... which by the way the S is silent.

TravisNTexas

I grew up calling it Kill. Had an art teacher in 7th grade that pronounced it that was, so it stuck.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
One thing that made me wonder about this was back when Brett Farve was still playing quarterback he would pronounce the name of his hometown like Kil. I thought he was from Kill, Miss. until they showed a picture of a city limit sign of his hometown and it was spelled Kiln, Miss.

What do you expect from a guy that can't even pronounce his own name? Brett Favre.. is it Fav-ray or Far-v

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I spent some of my younger adult years in the Ocala National Forest and that's where I learned every once in a while sometimes someone needs a little killen. Great place, great people, still miss my years there. Ot just something jbd reminded me of.

Status
Not open for further replies.