Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Flue Cured Red Leaf on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

I'm pretty sure the word you're looking for is Aniseed. It is the seed from an Anise plant...unrelated to Star Anise.

I was also unaware that aniseed and fennel were completely different. I'm also interested as to why ArizonaDave says to use aniseed and not star anise, though.

squeezyjohn

Star anise has some of the same aromatic compounds found in aniseed but has a far darker aroma. Aniseed is bright and floral and good for adding top notes to things (it's a major ingredient in good absinthe), whereas star anise hides under flavours at the bottom adding a woody kind of anise flavour - it's great with beef in a casserole.

Fennel seed is like a softer and sweeter version of aniseed, much more subtle and if many crushed seeds are added to a casing it has it's own natural non-sugar sweetener meaning less sugars can be used.

ArizonaDave

I'm pretty sure the word you're looking for is Aniseed. It is the seed from an Anise plant...unrelated to Star Anise.

Yes :)

I was also unaware that aniseed and fennel were completely different. I'm also interested as to why ArizonaDave says to use aniseed and not star anise, though.

Japanese Star Anise is toxic if ingested, so make sure it's not that variety.

Illicium verum ou Anis vert (Pimpinella anisum)
and Foeniculum vulgare big difference....

Illicium verum of Japan is toxic

Correct!

According to this article:

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/produ...e-therapeutic-grade/anise-star-essential-oil/

I guess it's ok, as long as it's not the Japanese variety, according to this.

Enigmascape

This leaf was my introduction to whole leaf tobacco, and I was floored by how good it was all by itself, and without any casing. It is very reminiscent of a marlboro red in flavor, only FRESH and unadulterated and far superior... like this is what a red was SUPPOSED to taste like before they add in all the chemicals and expanded it and whatever else they do to muck it up to maximize profits. If zombies ever attacked and I only had time to grab 1 bag of leaf before running for the hills, I'm almost certain this would be the bag I'd grab:)

LewZephyr

Pardon my ignorance.

I see several mention twisting for this tobacco. What exactly is that referring to? Twisted like a cigarette (roll one up?)
I see that some had mentioned it was destined for the pipe, and another ref that its like a Marlboro Red. Not a cig smoker, but curious in the pipe side of the talk.

Does this leaf have any real use / appeal / desirability on the cigar side of tobacco?

Thanks for your time and insight.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
A twist is just a way of compressing the tobacco blend a bit do you can cut off coins to rub into a bowl. Compressing tobacco allows flavor to meld and intensify.

No use for cigars imo.

Brown Thumb

Pardon my ignorance.

I see several mention twisting for this tobacco. What exactly is that referring to? Twisted like a cigarette (roll one up?)
I see that some had mentioned it was destined for the pipe, and another ref that its like a Marlboro Red. Not a cig smoker, but curious in the pipe side of the talk.

Does this leaf have any real use / appeal / desirability on the cigar side of tobacco?

Thanks for your time and insight.
Carrot tobacco. Per say will give you a idea.
Cigar Filler :confused:

ZigZagZeppelin

Man, pics of that red leaf look amazing.

I included it in my very first order off Don. Looking forward to it.

~The Leaf Noob

ZigZagZeppelin

Don's "Lemon" VFC was very good. Its among the best in the 6 strains of tobacco that came in this week. The Red VFC was disappointing......useable though after rehydrating it

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Everyone is welcome to return anything they get from me for a full refund. Red Leaf is brittle when it's still on the stalk, the curing process is not very kind to the leaf, but the reward is worth the effort...for most people. I don't think I've ever had a bag of Red returned.

ZigZagZeppelin

Everyone is welcome to return anything they get from me for a full refund. Red Leaf is brittle when it's still on the stalk, the curing process is not very kind to the leaf, but the reward is worth the effort...for most people. I don't think I've ever had a bag of Red returned.

That's what shocked me, Don.

The brittleness of it....I'm not the kind of guy that returns things.....I've run a business myself.

And I will remain a customer....we all have our favorite types of tobacco.

The Red is useful in some of my blends.

COLIN

I have alway's found Don's Red Leaf to be very good. Sometimes i have found it to be a bit dry and a mist with a bit of water to bring it back to the right case seem's to do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.