Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Aphids

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeacePipe

I did not see this pest listed on any of the headings. Perhaps I overlooked?

Aphids were the only real threat I faced this year growing over 30 plants of N.Tobaccum.. Not all [plants were attacked but those that did were my Nemesis being I do not use any pesticides of any sort.. So what worked for me? High power sprayers and paint brushes to knock them off the stems and leaves along with a diligent hand to squish them when low in numbers....

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the (very frequent) discussions about aphids are found within grow logs. There are essentially three practical ways to approach aphids on tobacco:
  • frequent rinsing with a forceful jet of water (the aphids can't "climb" back up)
  • misting with a dish detergent solution (which kills sprayed aphids by desiccation)
  • using a systemic poison (like Admire) in the seedling water, prior to or at time of transplant.
Knucklehead's 2015 grow log (and the logs of a few other growers) discusses the use of Admire: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5597-2015-Knucklehead-Grow-Blog

If you have a large crop, the first two methods can become impractical in a hurry.

Other aphid threads:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3108-Aphid-Control-What-works-and-doesn-t
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4813-Help-Save-an-Aphid

Bob

romanko

Bob, how exactly do aphids damage tobacco leaves? In my experience, on the plants they do attack, these is no visible damage, I just brush them off when priming.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Aphids feed on plants by inserting their mouth parts into the flowing juices within the leaf tissue. They seem to greatly prefer young leaf (suckers and the newly growing leaves), over more mature leaf. Research has shown that they are sensitive to the nicotine levels, which probably explains their preference for younger leaf. When sucking aphids are forcefully rinsed away with water, it damages their barbed mouth parts. (But, this requires hauling out a hose, and spending as much as a minute per plant, to get the job done. And it needs to be repeated every 5 to 7 days. It's nearly impossible to adequately hose very tall tobacco.)

A relatively small number of aphids don't seem to cause noticeable harm to the leaf, but a heavy infestation retards leaf growth. The honeydew (oh so sweet aphid poop) will attract ants, which don't harm the leaf or the plant. As the honeydew dries on the leaf, it remains sticky, and oxidizes to black. During prolonged humid conditions in the shed, leaf with substantial honeydew is more prone to developing mold (due to the presence of richer food for fungus growth). Kilning the leaf does allow the dead aphids to be easily brushed off. Sometimes there is a residual stickiness near the base of the leaf, but this is usually trimmed away from wrapper. I haven't noticed any effect of residual honeydew on the taste of filler.

I try hard to reduce the aphid burden early in the season--using detergent water, in order to allow the plants to grow well. Late in the season, I just have to let them have their way, if they persist. The detergent rinses away in rain, and oxidizes to nothing on the underside of leaves, but I don't trust it to be completely gone if I spray within a couple of weeks of harvesting the leaf.

Systemic poisons, like Admire (imidacloprid) are a threat to honeybees. This is particularly so if sprayed in the field. When used in seedling water, the risk is greatly reduced, though there is still some effect on pollinators that visit the maturing plants. So, if you are inclined to use a systemic, I would limit it to application in the seedling water.

Another poison approach is to spray "food-safe" permethrin onto heavy infestations, allowing several weeks before harvest. It kills most insects (good or bad) while it is active. My own use of permethrin is limited to a single spraying of the bud head of seed-producing plants immediately before bagging them. This zaps any aphids, and avoids seed pod damage from budworms and other pests that might destroy the seed. I only do this when there is little to no breeze that might disperse the spray beyond its intended target.

Bob

PeacePipe

Thanks for all the information.. I did stay on top of them until the plants were mature and my patience wore thin.. I left a few plants to set seed and these were infested enough for that sooty mold mentioned.. I noticed as well with air drying that they will continue to thrive and multiply feeding on leaf and then ribs as drying progresses.

Another tell tale sign and nuisance is the Aphid sheds left from the molting stages. This by majority seems to be knocked off during handling and drying but it will be present on the drying leaf.. I actually noticed some of the sheds in the naturally grown Wisconsin Burley I have been enjoying for the past month. It indicated to me that it is indeed naturally grown..

Thanks again for the information and especially the notes in regards to the bees and the issue with the pesticides mentioned.. I think I ll continue my Vegan approach and next year I ll make sure to use some N.Rustica trim and stem tea.. Observing the notes above in regards to the Aphids nicotine tolerance it just may do the trick..

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
aphids have hit me hard once.... i work for a fertilizer company and we stock every chemical known to man.....

admire is expensive.. which i use ... and i have no aphid problems it is a systemic poison.. which means when you first put the plant in the ground.. you use it mixed... to give the plant its first watering after planting... the plant keeps this chemical in it.. and YOU WILL HAVE NO APHIDS....... during your whole grow... there is generic cheaper version of the same poision... allthough ive never used it.. but '' KNUCKLEHEAD'' has.......... perhaps you should look at his grow blog for this year...

next grow my friend use the poision........... theres ceertain things you '' must '' do to have a sucessfull season.... and fighting aphids and THE DREADED HORNWORM really are your only enemy. WHICH MUST BE ELIMINATED.....

allthough certain areas have slugs.... e.t.c.............it really depends on your area.. im sure you know your pests....

my advice is to spend some money....get what you need. and kill those critters.... that want to ruin your crop..

good luck my friend.

Ben Brand

I only use Orthene, from seedling stage to just before reaping. It does the trick for me with all pests. Here in SA wev`e got a big leaf-miner problem, and Orthene works best. I spray it every week on my plants. Used to be registered on tobacco, but not anymore in SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.