Sustainableseedco Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Illinois Tobacco Growers

I started this thread for all of us that are in Illinois to get to know each other. This is my first year to grow tobacco. I'm in central Ill. around Princton, Buda to be exact. I will be getting my seeds started this week I've got about 250 that i will try and start. My wife has rolled her eyes at me a few times..lol, but she is going along with it. I still haven't gotten my soil tested yet, but I guess I've got time for that. I would like to hear from the other Ill. members and how you are getting along.

Tim

Illinois Tobacco Growers

Hello. I'm from Strasburg,Il. Which is about 40 miles southeast of Decatur. I got the exact same reaction from my wife!! I'm hoping my seeds show up in the mail sometime this week. I'll probably plant them as soon as they get here, and shoot for transplanting them outdoors around the first of May. Got the plot fertilized and tilled today, so I should be in good shape when the day comes.

Illinois Tobacco Growers

hello im from mason county illinois i just got my seeds today going to get them planted in the morning i have 100 bursa seeds and 100 yellow twist bud seeds

Illinois Tobacco Growers

Quote Originally Posted by jailhouse View Post
    hello im from mason county illinois i just got my seeds today going to get them planted in the morning i have 100 bursa seeds and 100 yellow twist bud seeds
    Welcome to the free world jailhouse, What are you using to start your seeds?

Illinois Tobacco Growers

I will be using the sandy soil I have here in the yard that has some soft clay. also have already cleared out a stall of horse manure from about 8 months ago. and has already broke down for planting. believe the temps are ok here and rite timing to get started. wanting to start out with the burley.

Illinois Tobacco Growers

does that sound like a good choice? to start out with?

Illinois Tobacco Growers

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    Check back the last couple weeks toad, and If i'm not mistaken horse manure is not necessarily advisable. I cant direct to specific info. Horse manure maybe doesn't break down properly[maybe high hay content][road apple content]. Any one had good results with this. Back track the last couple weeks.

Illinois Tobacco Growers

horse manure should be composted first

Illinois Tobacco Growers

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    Burleys are generally fairly straightforward to color-cure. How many plants are you considering growing?

Bob

Illinois Tobacco Growers

i going to start them in some potting soil. there is nothing but sandy soil here in mason county

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast