Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Illinois Tobacco Growers

Hello Tim,

I just moved from Sheffield Illinois - we were neighbors. I started growing Havana Gold tobacco for my husband. I started the seeds indoors and transplanted 30 plants which 23 are thriving and now about thigh high. In a weeks time the plants grew from ankle high to thigh high and doing great. I have four more varieties that I wanted to try and grow, but they will need to wait until next year. I have Tennessee Burley and Virginia Gold seeds too. Has anyone tried mixing different varieties for a better flavor?

Yes, most cigarettes are a blend of three or more varieties. The basic blend is about 60% Virginia, 30% Burley and 10% Turkish. My latest blend that I'm really fond of is 50% Virginia, 20% Burley, 10% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Turkish.

Welcome to the forum. If you'll put your general location in your profile, the other members will be able to better answer your questions.

Bob

Founding Member

Welcome to FTT. Good growing to you.
    ~~~~The~~~~~
    RESIDENT CYNIC
    ~~~~is in.~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    I started this thread for all of us that are in Illinois to get to know each other. This is my first year to grow tobacco. I'm in central Ill. around Princton, Buda to be exact. I will be getting my seeds started this week I've got about 250 that i will try and start. My wife has rolled her eyes at me a few times..lol, but she is going along with it. I still haven't gotten my soil tested yet, but I guess I've got time for that. I would like to hear from the other Ill. members and how you are getting along.

Tim
    Not sure if I got into this thread yet but here i am ... Will County, Joliet to be exact. I might have a guy from Kankakee in here too if he gets back to me.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Quote Originally Posted by Steve2md View Post
    horse manure should be composted first
    absolutely...horses dont break down their food as a cow would. too many weed seeds just pass right through. Compost it first.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

The weather is starting to cooperate here in Will County.We saw a beautiful 70+ day last Monday. Still have prediction of a small snow and a few more days of not so warm weather but the tulips are coming up so at least theres a little plant life starting to show. I plan on starting my 14 varieties of tobacco seeds in about 3 weeks. I'm going to divide the normal 72 cell flat packs so I will have at minimum 9 cells for each variety (8 varieties per flat) .

Quote Originally Posted by jailhouse View Post
    i going to start them in some potting soil. there is nothing but sandy soil here in mason county
    Sandy soil is best for tobacco. It drains well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Harley View Post
    I plan on starting my 14 varieties of tobacco seeds in about 3 weeks.
    You may want to start the seed 6 to 8 weeks prior to your average last frost date.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Harley View Post
    The weather is starting to cooperate here in Will County.We saw a beautiful 70+ day last Monday. Still have prediction of a small snow and a few more days of not so warm weather but the tulips are coming up so at least theres a little plant life starting to show. I plan on starting my 14 varieties of tobacco seeds in about 3 weeks. I'm going to divide the normal 72 cell flat packs so I will have at minimum 9 cells for each variety (8 varieties per flat) .
    Is this including back up varieties?

It will be nice to see your grow!
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12