Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Illinois Tobacco Growers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tman

I started this thread for all of us that are in Illinois to get to know each other. This is my first year to grow tobacco. I'm in central Ill. around Princton, Buda to be exact. I will be getting my seeds started this week I've got about 250 that i will try and start. My wife has rolled her eyes at me a few times..lol, but she is going along with it. I still haven't gotten my soil tested yet, but I guess I've got time for that. I would like to hear from the other Ill. members and how you are getting along.

Tim

prairiefarmer

Hello. I'm from Strasburg,Il. Which is about 40 miles southeast of Decatur. I got the exact same reaction from my wife!! I'm hoping my seeds show up in the mail sometime this week. I'll probably plant them as soon as they get here, and shoot for transplanting them outdoors around the first of May. Got the plot fertilized and tilled today, so I should be in good shape when the day comes.

jailhouse

hello im from mason county illinois i just got my seeds today going to get them planted in the morning i have 100 bursa seeds and 100 yellow twist bud seeds

BarG

Founding Member
hello im from mason county illinois i just got my seeds today going to get them planted in the morning i have 100 bursa seeds and 100 yellow twist bud seeds

Welcome to the free world jailhouse, What are you using to start your seeds?

toad

I will be using the sandy soil I have here in the yard that has some soft clay. also have already cleared out a stall of horse manure from about 8 months ago. and has already broke down for planting. believe the temps are ok here and rite timing to get started. wanting to start out with the burley.

toad

does that sound like a good choice? to start out with?

BarG

Founding Member
does that sound like a good choice? to start out with?
Check back the last couple weeks toad, and If i'm not mistaken horse manure is not necessarily advisable. I cant direct to specific info. Horse manure maybe doesn't break down properly[maybe high hay content][road apple content]. Any one had good results with this. Back track the last couple weeks.

spalumbo01

Hello Tim,

I just moved from Sheffield Illinois - we were neighbors. I started growing Havana Gold tobacco for my husband. I started the seeds indoors and transplanted 30 plants which 23 are thriving and now about thigh high. In a weeks time the plants grew from ankle high to thigh high and doing great. I have four more varieties that I wanted to try and grow, but they will need to wait until next year. I have Tennessee Burley and Virginia Gold seeds too. Has anyone tried mixing different varieties for a better flavor?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yes, most cigarettes are a blend of three or more varieties. The basic blend is about 60% Virginia, 30% Burley and 10% Turkish. My latest blend that I'm really fond of is 50% Virginia, 20% Burley, 10% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Turkish.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. If you'll put your general location in your profile, the other members will be able to better answer your questions.

Bob

Smokin Harley

I started this thread for all of us that are in Illinois to get to know each other. This is my first year to grow tobacco. I'm in central Ill. around Princton, Buda to be exact. I will be getting my seeds started this week I've got about 250 that i will try and start. My wife has rolled her eyes at me a few times..lol, but she is going along with it. I still haven't gotten my soil tested yet, but I guess I've got time for that. I would like to hear from the other Ill. members and how you are getting along.

Tim
Not sure if I got into this thread yet but here i am ... Will County, Joliet to be exact. I might have a guy from Kankakee in here too if he gets back to me.

Smokin Harley

The weather is starting to cooperate here in Will County.We saw a beautiful 70+ day last Monday. Still have prediction of a small snow and a few more days of not so warm weather but the tulips are coming up so at least theres a little plant life starting to show. I plan on starting my 14 varieties of tobacco seeds in about 3 weeks. I'm going to divide the normal 72 cell flat packs so I will have at minimum 9 cells for each variety (8 varieties per flat) .

ArizonaDave

The weather is starting to cooperate here in Will County.We saw a beautiful 70+ day last Monday. Still have prediction of a small snow and a few more days of not so warm weather but the tulips are coming up so at least theres a little plant life starting to show. I plan on starting my 14 varieties of tobacco seeds in about 3 weeks. I'm going to divide the normal 72 cell flat packs so I will have at minimum 9 cells for each variety (8 varieties per flat) .
Is this including back up varieties?

It will be nice to see your grow!

Status
Not open for further replies.