Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rolling direction, and sides of the leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longwaytofall

Hi all, had a question about rolling.
It seems to me, that if you want the top of your wrapper leaf on the outside of the cigar, for better color and reduced veins, that you are limited to one side of the leaf. This is because the binder and wrapper are rolled in different directions (both go to the head, but different rotation directions). Do all of you roll your binders in piles of left and right, then use the opposite side wrapper leaf?
This probably sounds confusing, if it doesn't make sense I can take some pictures.
Thanks!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If I have a single wrapping leaf in case, I roll the binder with the upper leaf surface facing up, so its undersurface ends up on the outside of the bunch. Then roll the outer leaf to show its nice side. This ends up with both binder and wrapper wrapping in the same direction.

When I have multiple choices of wrapping leaf in case, I select my wrapper, then select a crappy one for the binder. The outer leaf determines the direction of rolling for the bunch, and which face of the binder will then end up showing on the bunch.

I never use glue. So, if the binder has been rolled in the opposite direction of the prospective wrapper, I sometimes have to hold that in place with a clothespin on the head (if the binder is too short to permit a snug twist at the head) while applying the wrapper.

So far as I can tell, the direction of the binder and wrapper, in relation to one another, makes no difference in the final cigar, its burn qualities or its tendency to flake away from the burning cigar. For me, it's just easier to do the wrapping if the binder has been wrapped in the same direction.

Bob

webmost

Hi all, had a question about rolling.
It seems to me, that if you want the top of your wrapper leaf on the outside of the cigar, for better color and reduced veins, that you are limited to one side of the leaf. This is because the binder and wrapper are rolled in different directions (both go to the head, but different rotation directions). Do all of you roll your binders in piles of left and right, then use the opposite side wrapper leaf?
This probably sounds confusing, if it doesn't make sense I can take some pictures.
Thanks!

If you lay the wrapper leaf on the board in front of you, with the stem away from you, and the tip of the leaf toward you, and the bottom of the leaf (where the veins stick out) upward, then...

You will wrap one cigar in the right half, foot right, rolling away from you
Then you will wrap a second cigar in the left half, foot left, rolling away from you

Likewise binder

On other words, get ambidextrous with it

Longwaytofall

Very interesting! Somehow I thought opposite directions was important for the strength of the roll. Thanks!

Longwaytofall

Webmost, do you organize your rolls per session, per mold, or anything? Or do you simply inspect each cigar before wrapping and select the apropriate wrapper leaf side?

webmost

Webmost, do you organize your rolls per session, per mold, or anything? Or do you simply inspect each cigar before wrapping and select the apropriate wrapper leaf side?
Lay out the leaf and see which way it goes. EZ street.

MarcL

This is because the binder and wrapper are rolled in different directions (both go to the head, but different rotation directions). Do all of you roll your binders in piles of left and right, then use the opposite side wrapper leaf?

Yes, I try to. .. I'll try to find some inferences.

waikikigun

I roll the binder and wrapper exactly the same. Same direction from the same end, veins facing toward the meat, not the sky. The binder might as well be "the ugly wrapper." It is like a same-aligned underply of the wrapper, in my rolls.

Haven't tested other ways to see if I find them superior. I got this method of doing it from watching pro bunching/wrapping vids and just took it as gospel.

webmost

So you also pay no mind to keep the binder and wrapper going different directions?

I roll four at a time. Takes two wrapper leaves. Each half wrapper makes one binder and one wrapper. So...

Lay out your half leaf and see which way it goes
Cut a half moon out of the center
Lay aside the crescent
Bind in your half moon
Wrap in your crescent

Everything is laying the same way

Even if you lay aside binder for next time, what's the odds that for each half with veins running southeast you also have the other half with veins running southwest? 100% is the odds I calculate. So if the one half is going the wrong way, grab the other half.

I think you are over-thinking this.

Smokin Harley

if you're using the "scrap" off the wrapper leaf as binder and you come across one that the veins go the opposite way , just turn it over/around .Its binder, its only to make the roll not be seen. Just make sure the actual wrapper leaf segment has the veins going the right direction. Keep it simple.

Smokin Harley

Veins that are not parallel to the cigar axis are quite visible, in both the wrapper and the binder.

Bob
I guess what I meant to say was that if you grab a binder piece that has the veins going the opposite way , if you turn it over and around...whether or not the veins face up or down ,leaf tip towards you or away , its still a suitable binder. and yes as long as the veins run parallel to the cigar.

Raodwarior

Veins ALWAYS up, at least if you want it to look right otherwise the veins ghost through the wrapper. This is especially true if using a thin Habano or Connecticut. If you don't care about cosmetics then it really doesn't matter.

webmost

Veins ALWAYS up, at least if you want it to look right otherwise the veins ghost through the wrapper. This is especially true if using a thin Habano or Connecticut. If you don't care about cosmetics then it really doesn't matter.

How can you trust a guy who can't spell either road or warrior?
bigveins.jpg
Veins up.

Wind-vane--47601.jpg
Vane's up.

Dracula.jpg
Vein sup

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm still not sure of the question. I roll one half of the leaf off to the left, and the other half of the leaf off to the right. Just turn the cigar around so the end of the roll always ends up at the head. I don't separate into left and right piles but just look at the leaf and know which direction I need to roll and which end of the cigar is the foot.

MarcL

The givens are roll from foot to head of the cigar and, from tip to petiole or back of leaf.

"Do all of you roll your binders in piles of left and right, then use the opposite side wrapper leaf?"

Or, do we roll binders from left and wrappers from right and vice versa?Or, do we roll both binders and wrappers from right or, vice versa?

Or no matter?
reasoning; to create opposing tension in the binder and wrapper. Like a rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.