Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fig leaf in cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Saw once on Coffinails website that the owner suggests putting a tiny bit of fig leaf in your cigars. Tried it and it gives the cigar a nice nutty taste and smell. Only used a tiny bit. I don't like flavored cigars, but that just give it something else. Gave a cigar to my friend, and he loves it. So if you have access to fig tree, give it a go. Dry the fig leaves first.
Ben

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Sounds like he had too much time on his hands...I wonder what other type of leaves he may have experimented with????

rustycase

lol... chicken.

It might be worth a try, but I dunno abt green...
I once read a recipe that said to put a young grape leaf in the jar when making pickles to make them, or keep them crunchy.
We did it, and they came out ok.. don't know if any better than they usually do, though. They never last long round here.
Experiments are always kinda fun. A little bit at a time.
rc

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Grape leaves, oak leaves and hazelnut leaves, whether green or dried, will add tannin to pickles (and I guess to cigars).

Kids often snap off a segment of dried grape vine (or wild muscadine vine), and smoke it. They burn well, and are hollow between nodes. I can't recall that they had any particular taste--just smoke.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

There's a big difference between the flavours you get from commercial tobacco and what we can do at home. I shy away from flavoured pipe tobacco, and the only flavoured cigar you'll catch me smoking has Latakia in it.

The reason isn't that I'm a purist. It's because I don't know how they flavour that stuff. I've thrown a huge amount of vanilla, or rum, etc into tobacco and it's hardly detectable. And im supposed to believe that cough syrup flavoured tobacco Lane makes is naturally cherry flavoured? Piss off. Really.

But when I can add a couple grams of homegrown deerstongue to an ounce of tobacco and get a kick of flavor, I'm happy. It tastes good, and i know where it comes from. Hey man, I'm not a leafist. No need to discriminate. Add the fig leaf. Enjoy.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well i know any tree that bears a fruit is o,k, to use on your b-b-q- smoker.... so who knows which leaf would be suitable for smoking.

i grow a ornamental plant thats called '' castor beans'' i know the seed is extremelly poisionous,,,they use it to make reisin... i doubt if id want to try and smoke that plants leaf. years ago a friend tied his dog to my fence and we went somewhere. when we returned the dog was dead. he got bored and was eating them seeds.

but ive also had free range chickens that wouldnt touch the things. i try and pick the seeds before they fall. but you cant stay on top of all of them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
well i know any tree that bears a fruit is o,k, to use on your b-b-q- smoker.... so who knows which leaf would be suitable for smoking.
Cherry, peach, plum, almond and apricot leaves contain amygdalin and a cyanogenic glycoside. These toxins appear to be more concentrated in dried leaves, and during some years.

Mango leaves contain urushiol (the allergen in poison ivy).

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Cherry, peach, plum, almond and apricot leaves contain amygdalin and a cyanogenic glycoside. These toxins appear to be more concentrated in dried leaves, and during some years.

Mango leaves contain urushiol (the allergen in poison ivy).

Bob

i wonder if that guy knew some leaves could be harmfull. the info. you just gave is new to me. i guess you cant judge a leaf by the tree it grows on.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
i wonder if that guy knew some leaves could be harmfull. the info. you just gave is new to me. i guess you cant judge a leaf by the tree it grows on.
Of course, we don't usually eat the leaves of these plants. Tobacco itself contains many potentially lethal alkaloids.

Livestock, however, can quickly get into trouble, if their preferred graze is in short supply, and they consume the leaves from the wrong fallen tree.

Most of these also have a dose threshold, beneath which they can be consumed without effect. There is a well documented case of a man who loved the taste of apple seeds, which he ate on a regular basis. Then he decided to collect them until he had a nice supply. He ate a cupful of his saved apple seeds, and immediately died.

Goats, and other browsers (as opposed to grazers) can usually eat all sorts of poisonous plants, because they only eat a little of each available plant. If they are confined in a area with only a toxic plant (say, choke cherry), they will eat enough of it to cause death.

Humans consume all sorts of toxic plants: most of the cabbage family, mustards, grapefruit, tomatoes, potatoes, turnips, parsley root, coffee, cocoa, tea leaf, kidney beans, etc. If a diet focuses on some of these, they can cause all sorts of illnesses, from kidney or liver failure, to thyroid suppression. Because of threshold toxicity, eating a variety of different foods minimizes the risk.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.