Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Selecting wrapper leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Just wondering when is the best time to go through your leaf in search for wrapper leaf.
Do you do it before kilning or after ? Is leaf thinness one of the desirable characteristics ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Since you mention kilning, I'll assume that you are asking about home-grown leaf.

You can select wrappers at any point along the way. If selected after kilning, then the leaf has likely endured all the processing damage, so safe storage is all that's left.

My simpleton approach is to assume that any fairly intact leaf may make a good wrapper. Each crop of each variety will differ in its burn, stretch, flavor, appearance--differing from one growing season to the next. Sometimes, while setting out some leaf for immediate use as filler, I stumble into a pretty leaf that I use instead for a wrapper.

The more cigars you've rolled, the sharper your eye will be at seeing a promising wrapper.

Bob

buck

Yes home-grown leaf. That's a simple way of doing it, I'll try that for a first pass. Later when selecting for rolling I'll inspect more closely and decide at that time which leaf to use as wrapper.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.