Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

BEATTIE JET LIGHTER. [ for lighting a pipe ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
apparantlly this thing is the ultimate pipe lighting lighter. and ive had one for the past 5 years but never used it. i kept it simplly because of the way it had a unique lid. and it had a odd tube right at the wick .. unlike your typically zippo lighter.

i got some fluid today for it. and researched the name and was amazed what i found... it sells for $75.00 on e-bay

heres a video of it in action...http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFrHPXASoz8

i dont think ill be buying anymore bic lighters. mine works exactlly as the one in the video

heres mine. and i believe it may be pretty old from the petina it has on it,

..IMG_20151026_183008697.jpgIMG_20151026_183109027.jpgIMG_20151026_183116157.jpgIMG_20151026_183136877.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
that's nice. what makes that through the flame down?

i have no idea.. but on a normal zippo.. where the '' wad '' of material is in the bottom of the lighter.. the tube is down there also.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to work like the generator tube on a Coleman gasoline stove. The flame at the wick heats the metal tube, which transfers heat into the wadding and fuel, generating expanding, vaporized fuel.

Bob

Matty

Wow, that's cool. I been collecting old lighters since I was maybe 9 years old, never seen or heard of such a lighter.
It seems to work like the generator tube on a Coleman gasoline stove. The flame at the wick heats the metal tube, which transfers heat into the wadding and fuel, generating expanding, vaporized fuel.

Bob

I'll agree with that. Just like an old alcohol torch too.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

BINGO!

I have one of those too. Nice lighters for a pipe but if you are outside, nothing beats a Bic.

The hole where the flame comes out is extremely small. Mine was clogged. The only thing I found small enough to ream it with was a tip cleaner for a oxy- acetylene torch.

Smokin Harley

thats pretty cool. I have a small affection for lighters. I remember my dad years ago had a lighter for his pipes - it was called a Nimrod,silver colored, aluminum or stainless I imagine...the housing slid open and there was the lighting "element" ,it was still a round friction wheel ,flint and wick but it was located in a hole in the middle and you set it on top of the pipe and drew the flame downward,almost windproof . Can't remember if it was butane or more of a zippo fuel.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
- it was called a Nimrod,silver colored, aluminum or stainless I imagine...the housing slid open and there was the lighting "element" ,it was still a round friction wheel ,flint and wick but it was located in a hole in the middle and you set it on top of the pipe and drew the flame downward,almost windproof . Can't remember if it was butane or more of a zippo fuel.

I have one of those too! It uses regular lighter fluid.
I really should post pictures of my lighter collection one day.

Ben Brand

My dearest wife bought me a 3 flame Jet lighter for Christmas last year, very nice, until I by accident dropped the damn thing, now its not so nice, it doesn`t work, lots of tubes for the gas came lose. I get my jet lighters from a SA shop called Crazy stores R29 ( about $2) Only 1 flame though, but still work nicely.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Well so far it appears as if don't leak fluid like a typical zippo will do..that's the main reason I never carried a zippo..nothing worse than having a burning leg all day from a lighter leaking in your pocket..

Looks like I'll be carrying this lighter for many years...I kick myself in the butt for not trying this thing out years ago.

theeninfam

I found that same lighter when cleaning out my grandpa's old house. All it needed was some fuel and it was working perfectly for a few months! Now I use a permanent match as a pipe lighter. I've always used matches, but where I live it's windy most of the time. Before I smoked a pipe, I bought a waterproof permanent match at http://www.offroadpowergear.com for a friend as a gift and naturally played around with it beforehand. I loved it, but a gift is a gift. Bought one for myself, works as intended, very efficient on fuel and very reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.