Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

hogwild

Hello folks; I'm a semi-retired older fellow from central Georgia. Getting ready to retire on a 10 acre gentlemans farm in Breckinridge county Kentucky. My wife's family are commercial tobacco growers and I'm looking to grow just a small plot of rustica when I get there next year. I'm a pipe smoker and former cig smoker who likes nicotine; that's why the rustica to mix with some of my fine pipe tobaccos. Looking forward to learning much here. Greg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Don't forget Dark Air varieties. They have a nice nicotine kick without the Rustica taste.

hogwild

Appreciate the advice on Jaffna and Trabzon; plus the Dark Air. Looks like the 2 named are around 6%. I know the family is growing 660 acres of Virginia bright and 530 acres of a Burley; bsed on some crazy laws on commercial growers. 4th generation of commercial growing so I hope those good old boys will give me a bit of help with 50 or so plants. Surprised it doesn't appear that hard. The propaganda is strong on growing your own. Thanks

I even have my own barn for drying; curing might be something the old boys can help me with.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Hey guys, in studies the Jaffna was found to have been an error by the lab guys at the grin. It's not as high as they list, closer to flue cured level of alkaloids, or was it burley.. Dunno, but not as high as listed, which makes sense, when you look at the unimproved varieties larger size usually correlates with lower alkaloids and vice versa

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I forgot to state my main thing lol, don't grow it for it's strength, because it won't be any stronger than anything else in it's class, but you may want to grow for it's flavor.

Only problem with the unimproved varieties is sometimes more suckers, branching etc and less weight than say cc35 or something.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
which town are you in.. i drive a semi and come thru georgia often. as high as i go is 60 miles north of tifton. but i may be able to bring and give you some fertilizer for next years grow, thats what i do deliver tons of fertilizer to major farms.

Smokin Harley

Welcome to FTT...I'm semi-retired too...I'm off more than I work with 6 years until I can really retire...so congratulations on the retirement and have fun with the Ky tobacco crop. Let us know when its official ,FTT needs a "field trip destination"
Gentlemens farm...is that anything like gentlemens club?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

indianjoe

Founding Member
Welcome Greg,
you may get lots of help from your inlaws growing, but I bet they might get more help from you with that much commercial tobacco :)

Status
Not open for further replies.